latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rental and housing assistance in Washington County Rhode Island.

Charities, non-profits, and government agencies in Washington County Rhode Island can help low income tenants pay their rent or they offer grants or loans in an emergency. Any short or long term rental assistance programs (including HUD section 8 vouchers) are limited. In addition, funds are often combined with case management, free legal aid, and other services.

The housing assistance programs are wide ranging. Non-profits may offer a few funds to help pay back rent or a security deposit. Or charities operate homeless shelters as well as transitional housing programs. There are also government affiliated organizations in Washington County that arrange grants to pay rent, mortgages, pay for low income or free apartments, and more. When all else fails, including the emergency rent assistance programs, attorneys offer free legal aid or mediation services for landlords – tenants. Find more information below.

The Jonnycake Center of Westerly is located at 23 Industrial Drive, Westerly, RI 02891. A number of housing programs and social services offered. Very limited rent or utility bill help may be provided along with free furniture, tuition or job programs, and household cleaning supplies. Any money to help pay rent, mortgages, or security deposit is a case by case basis. Call (401) 377-8069

Section 8 HCV are offered in Washington County from the South Kingstown Housing Authority. Very low income families, seniors, or the disabled can get rent assistance vouchers or affordable homes 9or apartments) from the federal government program. Application address of the housing authority is 364 Curtis Corner Rd, South Kingstown, RI 02879. Phone: (401) 783-0126.

Free Washington County legal aid is at (800) 662-5034. Tenants, homeowners, and people facing eviction can get free legal defense to help them stay in their rental units. Lawyers give advice to single moms, the elderly, and working poor among others.

Washington County Community Action agencies offer financial assistance and support services. This can include government grants to pay rent (from ESG) or LIHEAP. There are multiple locations of the community action agency. There may also be ESL classes and GED, budgeting (to help people save for a security deposit or house), and other emergency financial aid for rent or energy payment assistance. They are below.




  • Tri-County Community Action Agency, 1935 Kingstown Road, Wakefield, Rhode Island 02879. Dial (401) 789-3016
  • Another non-profit is at 34 Pond Street, Westerly, RI 02891. The main phone number is (401) 596-7272
  • Or try South County Community Action Agency for rent or deposit help. They are at 1935 Kingstown Rd, Wakefield, Rhode Island 02879. Call (401) 273-2000
  • Find other details on Rhode Island community action housing assistance programs.

Salvation Army Family Services help tenants and homeowners in the county. While funds are limited (and based on donations), there may be one time rent help, loans, information on government grants, referrals to utility or local emergency rental assistance services and more. The main location is at (401) 884-4283 and is based in North Kingston.

Shelters or transitional housing in Washington County RI

There are multiple short term housing solutions, including transitional housing, homeless shelters, and permanent housing placement programs. Some of the leading charities are below.

Welcome House of South County (phone (401) 782-4770) is a soup kitchen and homeless shelter. It is at 8 North Road, Peace Dale, RI 02883.

Heritage Village Apartments I/II is a section 8 rental unit as well as transitional housing. The apartment community address is 24 Union Drive, North Kingstown, Rhode Island 02852. Telephone number is (401) 884-9368.





Domestic Violence Resource Center of South County is for women or children facing abuse. Address is 61 Main Street, Wakefield, RI 02879. Call (401) 782-3995.

WARM or the Westerly Area Rest and Meals is at 56 Spruce Street, Westerly, Rhode Island 02891. Housing programs include senior homes, low income apartments, shelters and more. Call (401) 596-9276.

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page