latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Summit and Wasatch County assistance programs.

Financial help with paying bills and referrals

Community Action Services and Food Bank helps the low income and people facing poverty in Wasatch and Summit County. Call (801) 373-8200, or learn about their programs and services below.

Family Development is focused on providing long term support and case management. At the same time this is occurring, short term financial assistance for providing for basic needs may be offered. Various restrictions are in effect too.

Case management includes such activities as goal setting, budgeting, self-empowerment/self-esteem training, credit repair, and overall social services. An employee of the agency will assess your needs, determine your eligibility and create a plan of action to help you get back on track.

Some of the financial assistance offered may include clothing vouchers, bus tokens, emergency rental or security deposit assistance, motel or hotel vouchers, transportation assistance, furniture, and heating and utility bill assistance.

The Community Action Food Bank provides food and groceries to partner agencies throughout Wasatch and Summit counties. So they give food to churches, charities, and other organizations, which then distribute it to the needy in the community. The agency has information on local pantries, which distribute food directly to the public. They also rely on donations from the community, so please give to the food bank if you can.

Foreclosure, Home Buyer and Mortgage Counseling – There are a few components of this resource. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has approved Community Action Services as a housing counseling agency. Most services are free of charge. The resources offered include home buying programs, including education and counseling. Read more on HUD counseling.

Mortgage Default Counseling – Offered for homeowners who are currently behind on their mortgage payments. The goal is to help people avoid a foreclosure. Clients can receive one on one counsel to assess the hardship and find solutions.





After that initial assessment is complete, the HUD counselor will help the individual establish a course of action to address the housing or delinquent mortgage problem. They may be able to negotiate with lenders and offer loan workout solutions. Get ideas on alternatives to foreclosure within HUD guidelines.

In addition, one on one counseling can assist homeowners with understanding loan modifications, interest rates on different types of mortgages, and other refinancing tactics.

Others services offered include employment counseling and referral, job training, and a One-to-One Mentoring Program.

Dial (801) 373-8200 to reach the Wasatch and Summit County Utah community action agency. There are many other programs available, including grants, free food, and other support services. Find more information.

Summit/Wasatch HEAT Program offers emergency utility bill assistance to prevent a shut-off of service, or funds can be provided to pay winter heating bills too. The Mountainland Association of Governments are administering the HEAT program in the Summit and Wasatch region. The for number for struggling, low income residents to call to schedule an appointment for a credit is 801-229-3855.

Note that this energy bill assistance program Opens November 1 and runs until the end of April.  The service is designed to put a credit on the gas and electric bills, which will in effect help them pay their bill as it is more manageable. Clients do not need to be in danger of a shutoff to apply for the program. Read more utility assistance in Utah.

Community Action Services of Kamas is another option. This non-profit offers resources to the low income, including the following. Free food is provided from a pantry. Money is available for paying utilities and/or rent, especially in order to prevent homelessness. Outreach to homebound elderly and disabled is provided by the agency and also volunteers. Housing assistance is also available, including mortgage delinquency counseling. Location is 30 South Main Street, Kamas, Utah 84036, or call 435-783-4303




Christian Center Of Park City helps qualified low income, regardless of their religion. The thrift store and food bank offer furniture, and seasonal dinners for workers. Employment and job counseling includes work readiness training and programs to help find a job. Call 435-649-2260

Housing assistance programs are administered by the non-profit Road Home. There are several components to what they provide, including the following.

  • Emergency shelters for the evicted and homeless, including sites during the cold winter months.
  • Case management and transitional housing for those that qualify.
  • Information on rental assistance programs in Utah.
  • Several other resources are available in Wasatch County. Click here.

Community Action Services of Heber Utah is another similar group as those above. Call 435-654-2182. The non-profit may be able to facilitate emergency financial assistance for rent, shelter, housing expenses such as deposits, mortgage and utilities. Programs also address unemployment and offer job finding services. Crisis assistance and counseling is offered, including problem solving for families facing financial emergencies. Outreach workers and volunteers can assist homebound, isolated persons through home visits too.

Families living in poverty, that need food, financial aid, or just referrals to job training programs in Summit County, can get help. There are several regional wide resources for the working poor in the region. Some are run by non-profits and others are government run, but struggling individuals can apply. Locate help for needy and low income families.

Food pantries

The Salvation Army supports people in Summit and Wasatch Utah. Call 801-322-1253. They administer welfare programs and social services. You can use the food pantry once per month. Holiday assistance includes Christmas and Thanksgiving meals, and gifts from programs including Angel tree and Toys for Tots. Clothing is also offered.

LDS Bishop's Storehouse – Offers clothing, food, and bedding for both LDS and non-LDS seeking assistance. Location is 31 East Main Street, Midway, Utah 84049, main number is 435-654-3489

St. Lawrence Catholic Church runs a food pantry. 100 West Center Street, Heber, Utah 84032, dial 435-654-9410. More information on Utah food banks.





Medical care in Summit and Wasatch

People's Health Clinic provides medical care on a sliding fee scale. General health care is offered for adults and children who are seeking general medical attention and/or preventative care. Chronic Disease Management, Care and Education is provided for ailments such as Hypertension and Diabetes. Prenatal care is provided including education, ultra sounds, blood work, and emergency Medicaid to pay for costs for the delivery of the baby. 650 Round Valley Drive, Park City, UT 84060, call 435-333-1850

Park City Clinic is another option for medical care in the greater Summit County region. 1665 Bonanza Drive, Park City, Utah 84060, phone 866-743-2584. Read more on

Health Clinics Of Utah provides services across the entire state. A focus in on preventative health. However medical professionals and doctors also offer Dermatology, Mental health, and Internal medicine. Phone 801-715-3500. Health Clinics of Utah accept most private and government insurance including CHIP, Medicaid, Medicare, and Primary Care Network (PCN). The uninsured can also get care.

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page