Walworth County assistance programs.
Receive help paying bills, rent, and more
Over $3 million in federal stimulus funds is being provided to Walworth County to offer assistance to people in need. The county will offer a wide variety of programs. Their main goal is to provide short term relief and support with immediate needs and at the same time help people become self sufficient so they can get back on their feet long term. A sampling of the programs offered include:
- Work-n-Wheels: A low interest automobile loan program to help people who need a car for transportation to work. Money can help people purchase a car and/or apply for zero percent loans.
- Housing Counseling: This program helps individuals with rent payments, prevent evictions, and will offer more longer term rental counseling. There is also aid for homeowners, including home buyer workshops, pre-purchase assistance, mortgage default assistance, and more. Over 400K has been provided by the federal government for housing and rent assistance.
- Home Improvement and Rehab and Loans: Low interest loans are available to help families modernize and repair their homes.
- Weatherization: About $1.6 million is being provided by federal stimulus for weatherization programs. Hundreds of homes will have free energy saving upgrades performed on them. The goal is to help families reduce their energy bills.
The main offices are located at 200 W. Milwaukee St in Janesville Wisconsin. Call the community action agency at (608) 755.2470.
Helping Hands Of St. Peter's is part of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. Resources include a clothing center for basic needs. In addition, the charity can provide financial aid to people in need for paying rent or utility bills. 1970 North Beulah Avenue, East Troy, WI 53120, call (262) 642-7225
Bethel House offers short term transitional housing. Assistance is for families only, and not singles. The non-profit also provides limited amounts of financial assistance to lower income families on the brink of homelessness. Money can pay rent or help with utilities/heating bills. When funding allows, a formerly homeless individuals may receive help with a rental deposit, if they have obtained stability. All the financial aid in Walworth County is limited.
Other programs include vocational counseling, parenting skill classes, financial counseling, transportation, legal services, furniture, assisting in health-related services, and even free Christmas programs. 130 South Church Street, Whitewater, WI 53190, telephone (262) 473-2715, or find more Bethel House programs.
Walworth County Department Of Health And Human Services - The main government organization. Get help applying for public aid such as Food Share, Medical Assistance, and Wisconsin Badger Care Plus, which is a health coverage program for the low income. Economic Support and financial assistance also helps clients with paying heating and electric bills from the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP). Other resources include WIC, Meals on Wheels, and more. (262) 741-3200
Walworth County thrift stores and clothing closets can help low income families. The non-profits may have free or low cost goods for residents. Some vouchers or gift certificates may be available. Examples of what may be provided to residents includes school supplies, clothes, work items, and Christmas gifts and toys. Click here.
Walworth InfoLine referral service is free to use. It provides details on local charities, churches, and social services. Callers may learn about some or all of the following.
- Job placement and career counseling services.
- Housing programs, including loans or grants for paying rent.
- Free day care vouchers
- USDA food programs, SNAP, commodities, and much more.
- Transportation, senior care, Medicaid application sites, and more more. More on the Infoline in Walworth County.
The non-profit Community Action Inc. of Walworth County is a leading non-profit that administers several resources. The focus is on housing, eviction prevention, education/employment and also feeding the hungry and poor if it is needed.
Eviction prevention and Mortgage Default Assistance is available. The main resource is known as the Housing Stability Counseling program. This is an option for those behind on their rent, facing eviction, or that may be currently homeless. Or potential first time homebuyers have options available to them as well.
Community Action Inc. may provide free Foreclosure Intervention Counseling, Pre-Purchase Homeownership Workshops, and access to the regional Foreclosure Mediation Credit Counseling & Referral. Other advice includes credit repair and help with the development of a budget.
Limited financial assistance may be available for paying a mortgage, security deposit, first months rent, eviction prevention, and also short term rental assistance. Rapid Rehousing and the Shelter Plus Care program are also administered.
The Emergency Food Assistance Program, or TEFAP, can provide free groceries in Walworth County. Seniors, children, and the unemployed all may benefit.
Other services from the Community Action Inc. of Walworth County are as follows.
- Employment Training & Support, Transitional Jobs as well as Skills Enhancement.
- Healthcare Services are the First Choice Women’s Health Center as well as Wisconsin Well Woman Program.
- Additional housing resources include Affordable Housing for Seniors and Disabled Adults, Home Rehabilitation Assistance, and Weatherization & Utility Bill Assistance.
The Community Action Inc. is located at 200 W. Milwaukee, Janesville, WI 53548. Call (608) 755-2470.
Food pantries in Walworth Wisconsin
Saint Andrew's Catholic Church - Offers free food, meals, and holiday baskets. 700 East Walworth Avenue, Delavan, WI 53115, telephone (262) 728-6567
East Troy center can be reached at (262) 642-4357
Elkhorn Food Pantry is based at St. John's Lutheran Church. It can provide canned goods and emergency food. The pantry is at 14 West Geneva Street.
Loaves And Fishes - First United Methodist Church. Accepts donations and provides items to the public. 518 Booth Street, Genoa City, WI 53128, call (262) 279-6448
Chapel On The Hill Food Pantry - Telephone number is (262) 245-9122
Lake Geneva Food Bank is based at First Congregational Church. Address - 715 Wisconsin Street. Call (262) 248-2337
Big Foot Emergency Food Pantry can help people in Fontana, Walworth, Williams Bay, and Zenda Wisconsin. (262) 275-3252