Umatilla County assistance programs.
Get help and assistance with bills, housing, and more
Several different resources are made available from the Community Action Program of East Central Oregon (CAPECO). This organization serves Umatilla, Wheeler, Morrow, and Gilliam counties. A sampling of the programs is below.
- Energy assistance programs are available to those in need and they can assist income eligible households with heating and utility bills. The program may provide people with help for electricity, propane, natural gas, oil, and wood energy sources depending on the availability of funds in the program.
- Emergency Rental Assistance can be be used by residents once a year. While the exact amount of rent assistance is determined on a case by case basis when the application is reviewed, and the help provided is dependent on the availability of funds, the bottom line is the money can help.
- Helping Hand is a partnership between several local organizations including CAPECO, Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, First United Methodist Church, St. Mary’s Outreach, and the First Presbyterian Church. Services provided for the local Pendleton area and residents includes: rent, prescription medicines, utilities, food (on Friday only), laundry, fuel, and many other needs deemed necessary for self sufficiency. The local Pendleton area that is in the service area includes Helix, Adams, and Pilot Rock Oregon.
- The CAPECO’s Emergency Service Programs are another option, and they specialize in providing rapid response to families who are having an economic or personal crisis. Assistance provided will vary due to funding. However, some of the assistance that is provided can help people with rent, utility and heating bills, and housing. In the immediate Pendleton area additional services that may be available such as prescription drug assistance, fuel and gas vouchers, and laundry vouchers. Also, the areas of Hermiston, Pendleton and Milton-Freewater can receive aid.
- Emergency food boxes are offered by CAPECO at various locations in Morrow, Umatilla, Gilliam, and Wheeler counties, and there is free food provided to help families and individuals who are in immediate need of food aid.
They can also direct people to regional food banks, soup kitchens or pantries as well. Read more on food banks.
- Social services and case management are provided by the community action agency. A focus is on trying to break the cycle of poverty, and help people find jobs, attend job training, and increase their incomes. Social workers have extensive information on state of Oregon and federal government resources, including cash assistance. Read more on Oregon public aid.
- Homeless services are available. CAPECO may participate in the federal government ESG grant program, and as part of this, there may be funds for paying security deposits, transitional housing in Umatilla County, and other solutions to help end the cycle.
Contact Community Action Program of East Central Oregon (CAPECO) at 541-276-1926 for more info on these or any programs. They also offer referrals, information on government grant money, and other resources. Click more information on assistance from Community Action Program of East Central Oregon.
Salvation Army Cascade, located in Pendleton Oregon (phone (541) 276-3369) offers emergency food boxes and hot meals. The Salvation Army services can help lower income and struggling Umatilla County residents. The number of other programs available are wide ranging and include emergency financial aid for rent, free Thanksgiving and holiday programs, groceries, Christmas toys and more. The Salvation Army can also provide emergency utility assistance up to once per year.
The Salvation Army also assists students. They can get free back to school supplies, no matter their grade. Or clothes, shoes, backpacks, and even uniforms may be offered. The Salvation Army has various other social services as well. Read about the Umatilla County Salvation Army programs.
Yakima Valley Clinic - This community clinic of Umatilla County provides primary medical care clinic offering diagnosis and treatment of illness, immunizations, pediatric care, sports physicals, medications, prenatal/postpartum care, family planning, health education, xrays and lab services. Dial (541) 567-1717