Tom Green County assistance programs
Food distribution centers and pantries
Concho Valley Regional Food Bank is an agency that works with local charities and non-profits. While their headquarters is located in San Angelo, Texas, they cover all of Tom Green County and the Concho Valley area. Their main mission is to provide nutritious, edible food and groceries to people in need. They distribute that food and other grocery products to a network of non-profits and charities agencies. The charities and non-profits will pass out the food aid to those who apply and who need assistance. Phone number (325) 655-3231.
Social services and emergency help for bills
Contact the The Salvation Army - San Angelo Corps at 655-6981. They run several programs, including the following:
- Financial assistance - The Salvation Army can provide help with bills in the form of financial assistance for paying rent, utility bills and prescriptions. However, funds are not always available.
- Clothing - Up to 4 times per year, the Salvation Army provides clothing for women, men and children.
- Meals - Receive access to food, hot meals, and other aid.
- Shelter - Available for homeless and people who were evicted.
- A number of other Salvation Army Corp centers are located across Texas. Read more.
Churches across Tom Green County offer the less fortunate guidance, food, financial assistance, and counseling. Several years ago a number of religious centers, charities, and churches partnered together in order to help the less fortunate, unemployed, and seniors. When their resources were combined a number of assistance programs were created for addressing a variety of needs, including electric bills, rent, medications, and food. Click here.
Help finding a job and career development
The unemployed can turn to the Concho Valley Workforce Development Board (655-2005) to receive help finding a job and career advice. Receive counseling, resume review, access to computers and other tolls, and general advice. The center has helped place hundreds of people.
Health clinic and primary medical care in Tom Green County
The primary goal of the the La Esperanza Clinic is to help the medically underserved, low income, and people with no or limited health insurance. The clinic provides both Preventive Health Care Services and Quality Primary medical care to all patients and people. While the clinic is located in San Angelo, medical care is an option for all people in the Concho Valley area. Some of the programs offered include Primary Medical Care, Dental Assistance, Physical Examinations, Limited Urgent Care, and much more. Phone (325) 658-5339.
Financial help from the Concho Valley Community Action Agency
This is the local community action agency, and can be called at (325) 653-2411. They oversee several programs and services for the working poor, low income, unemployed, and others who need assistance. A few examples include the following.
- Electric and gas bill help - There are several components to this program.
- Heating / Cooling System Repair - Receive up to $5,000 to repair or replace your heating or cooling system.
- Co-Payment utility bill assistance - Provides funds to pay up to 12 months of utility bills
- Energy Bill Crisis utility assistance and other emergency and crisis services - If you are facing a crisis such as a disconnection, this program can provide you with a one time cash grant to pay your utility bill.
- Disabled and Elderly utility bill assistance - The elderly and disabled can receive help for a bill as well
- Weatherization Assistance Program - Qualified homeowners can receive free energy conserving improvements to their homes, such as caulking, windows, insulation, and more. On average, the weatherization program can lower heating bills by 32% and overall energy bills by an average of $374 per year.
- Free tax assistance - Receive free help in filing your federal and state of Texas income taxes.