latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Rental assistance programs Syracuse and Onondaga County.

Find churches, charities and government social service organizations that provide rent assistance, free legal aid to stop evictions, moving assistance, or funds to pay security deposits. There are many housing programs in Syracuse and Onondaga County. A number of agencies offer emergency rental assistance or long term, affordable homes or apartments. Get rent payment help near you in Onondaga County NY.

Most of the programs focus on the low income, elderly, homeless, and unemployed tenants, but the conditions change. There may be loans or grants to help with rent from non-profits, churches, the United Way and the government. There is also section 8 for low income housing or funds to pay a security deposit or motel or hotel vouchers for short term needs.

Get information on where to call and how to apply for back rent help in the Syracuse New York region, including United Way 211 rent assistance. In addition to receiving direct financial aid, many of the charities will also offer counseling, referrals, and direct tenants to other local, state of New York or federal government assistance programs. Oftentimes the amount of funding is limited, so not everyone can receive help with their rent or housing expenses. However the goal is to keep as many people as possible in their home or apartments.

Organizations that help with rent payments in Syracuse NY area

Catholic Charities of Syracuse runs a program known as Emergency Assistance Services. This includes help for the homeless or people close to it, and rental assistance, storage cost help, or security deposit grants may be issued. There is also Coordinated Services for Homeless Families.

The charity also helps low income, single mothers or immigrants and other individuals with access to an emergency shelter as well as relocation services if needed. The financial aid can include a grant for a deposit (security or utility) or first months rent.

Other services from the charity include case management as well as referrals. Clients can get information on local and federal rent assistance programs, and in general transitional housing for homeless or single mothers and their children in Onondaga County. Address is 264 East Onondaga Street, Syracuse NY 13202. Call 315-424-1876.

  • Catholic Charities in Syracuse also operates Oxford Street Inn Shelter and Services – Case management, shelter, and transitional housing is provided. Address is 201 Oxford Street, Syracuse, New York 13202-3813. Phone (315) 423-9137




There is also the Catholic Charities of Onondaga County. This organization is responsible for a program known as Emergency Financial Assistance. This has the potential to help low to moderate individuals and families alleviate an immediate crisis or hardship they may be facing through free food vouchers and financial assistance for rent and other expenses, and also helps them develop skills and resources to prevent its recurrence. In addition, direct assistance is available for people in dire need, especially those who need housing or rent help. Centers are located at

The Salvation Army, Syracuse Area Services – Offers social services and financial resources that can assist with rent or low income housing needs. There is also case management, family mediation, homebound schooling, living-skills training and recreation activities. Advocacy is offered too, as well as (when funding allows) limited amounts of rent or utility payment assistance to those faced with homelessness or eviction.

The faith based Christian charity also links families to charities and social service programs and helps them find permanent housing for long term stability. Location - 677 South Salina Street, Syracuse, New York 13202, Telephone - 315.475.1688. Or read more Salvation Army NY programs.

  • There is also the more wide ranging Onondaga County Salvation Army. Get help from the Emergency and Practical Assistance Services program. It can provide support to people in a crisis or faced with a hardship. The agency offers crisis intervention, advocacy and support, and linkages to community resources for rental and low income housing assistance.
    After an assessment with a case manager, emergency funds will be issued for back rent to stop evictions, or their may be a loan used. Two locations operate in the region include 677 South Salina Street, Syracuse NY 13202 (Call 315-479-1332) as well as 2433 Erie Boulevard East, Syracuse - (315) 445-0520.

Spanish Action League offers a Housing Services service among other programs. The non-profit can provide a wide variety of housing support services and financial assistance to Spanish Action League clients, including loans for rental expenses.





La Liga, which is the Spanish Action League of Onondaga County also tends to also focus on legal issues for Spanish speakers and immigrants. Get legal or financial help with housing discrimination, eviction prevention assistance, free counseling and more. Center address - 700 Oswego Street, Syracuse, NY 13204-3116,. Call (315) 475-6153.

ACCESS CNY only helps residents with a mental illness. Free furniture, rent assistance, free hotel vouchers, and more. Even learn about emergency section 8 or SSI disability. The Independent Housing Program helps the mentally ill. Free furniture, rent or security deposit help, household supplies and more. They partner with HUD on rent subsidized housing in Onondaga County. The location is 420 E. Genesee St., Syracuse NY 13202. Dial 315-218-0821 or call (315) 478-4151.

Housing First has a main office at 518 James Street, Syracuse New York 13202. This resource provides emergency financial assistance such as rent/security deposits as well as information or referral to government programs. This may be other Syracuse and Onondaga non-profits to people and families who need help with housing, SSI, disabilities, or rent money. Dial 315-478-2453 or 315-565-4199

Spaulding Support Services helps the disabled. Get placement into rent subsidized-income based housing. The non-profit is at 1603 Court St, Syracuse, NY 13208. Government grants and other financial aid is for the developmentally disabled. Dial (315) 478-6210.

Liberty Resources helps individuals with HIV and/or AIDS. Call (315) 425-1004. Rent help, medical care, loans,  security deposit or utility bill assistance are just some of the resources offered. They can also help people with HIV/AIDs move or pay for first months rent or other housing costs. The main office is at 1045 James St, Syracuse, NY 13203.

HALE Homeless Prevention is organized by several agencies. Financial aid for rental or energy bill arrears is combined with job training or budgeting. Low income tenants, single moms, and the working poor can also seek motel vouchers, emergency security deposit or rent help, and other support. More on Onondaga County homeless prevention.

Onondaga County Social Services can be called at 315-435-8230 or (315) 435-2700. They run a government program known as Temporary Assistance (TA). Very low income qualified families may be able to receive financial help for basic needs, which can include housing and rent expenses as part of Homeless and Eviction Prevention.

Financial aid may be provided for other housing related needs, such as energy bills. Also work with case managers to find a homeless shelter, transitional housing, and get referrals to other programs. Location is 421 Montgomery Street, Syracuse NY 13202.

Syracuse Housing Authority runs section 8 rent subsidized homes, offers self-sufficiency, information on home loans and more.  The HUD section 8 voucher program for all of Onondaga County is run from the PHA.

They also offer family self-sufficiency, mortgage loans or home buying, and public housing, including no wait list units The low income, elderly, and disabled often get priority, including emergency section 8, from the federal government rent subsidy program. PHA office is at 203 Martin Luther King East, Syracuse NY 13205. Call 315-470-4400 or (315) 475-6181





The Onondaga County community action and Helpline. A number of assistance programs are available from referrals.. Get information on rent or mortgage payment help, LIHEAP grants, budgeting, home-ownership and more. A major focus is on stopping homeless, assisting with rent and addressing employment Call 1.844.245.1922.

Legal Aid Society of Central New York and Onondaga County can work with tenants facing an eviction. Free advice from attorneys, suggestions on resolving disputes over rent due, and unsafe or unfair housing issues are all addressed. Call (315) 703-6600 for an appointment.

Syracuse Northeast Community Center is located at 716 Hawley Ave, Syracuse, NY 13203. They are involved in various affordable housing initiatives. Clients, including single mothers, can get referrals to government grants, homeless shelters,  immediate rent assistance programs and other services. Call (315) 472-6343

Volunteer Lawyers Project of CNY provides free legal, eviction defense from 221 South Warren Street, Syracuse NY 13202. Renters are assisted first come-served, and pro-bono attorneys give advice to tenants with an eviction or utility disconnection notice. The legal consultation is free. Call 315-939-1466.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site