St. Clair County Michigan assistance programs.
Utility bill, rent and mortgage assistance
The United Way of St. Clair County Michigan has been granted almost $100,000 to replenish funds and provide further food and housing assistance. These additional funds will supplement emergency shelter and food assistance programs in St. Clair and Port Huron Michigan.
If you need assistance with your rent or other aid, such as mortgage help or food assistance, then the best thing to do is contact some of the agencies or charities that have previously received grants or funding through the United Way. Contact these organizations: The Harbor, Mid City Nutrition, Pathways Homeless Shelter ((810) 982-1020), Downriver Helping Hands, Community Action Agency of St. Clair County (810) 982-7233, Algonac United Methodist Food Pantry, Salvation Army, Downriver Bread of Life Nutrition Center, and the Blue Water Community Food Depot.
Community Action Agency of St. Clair County is the primary agency in the area to call for help. Call them at (810) 982-7233.
- Utility and heating help - If you are facing a disconnection, financial assistance is available for heat, electric and water bills to prevent a loss of your utility service. Households must have a notice of disconnection, and be able to pay their bills over the long term.
- Rent, mortgage, and property tax help - St. Clair County residents, homeowners and renters who may be facing foreclosure, eviction, or homelessness may be eligible for financial assistance for paying their mortgage, rent deposits, rent, or delinquent real estate or property taxes
- Debt help - Work with a counselor to enter into a debt management plan and get budgeting advice.
- Income taxes - A professional can help you file your income taxes.
- Foreclosure prevention - Work one on one with a HUD approved housing counselor to receive free foreclosure advice. Learn how to prevent or stop a foreclosure filing. Learn more on Michigan foreclosure programs.
- Home repairs - Make your home both safe and energy efficient. Receive zero percent loan, or access to federal government funded weatherization programs.
- Prescription Assistance Program (PAP) - This service seeks to aid those patients who have exhausted all other sources for help with medication. Get help with medications from drug companies.
- Food - Get food from the emergency food program. Canned goods, fruits, vegetables, and other aid.
- Referrals - Case managers from BWCA can offer linkage to non-profits in Port Huron, government grant programs for paying security deposits (such as emergency food and shelter), emergency rent help and public benefits.
Call the Port Huron Community Action Agency of St. Clair County at (810) 982-8541. Click more.
The Salvation Army of Port Huron (810.984.2679) provides help for utility and heating bills. They also offer free Christmas programs, shelter, and a food pantry for the needy and low income. This is a leading charity for St. Clair County.
Health and human services
Downriver Community Services is a center that provides a range of community based health and human services and medical help. The goal is to promote the physical, mental, and emotional health of all members of the St. Clair Michigan community. They provide these services to all people without regard to income, religion, race, color, national origin, age or their ability to pay bills. 810-984-4982
Peoples' Clinic for Better Health - Low income, the poor and others can contact this center for health care. The clinic will provide for the medical needs of the economically and socially disadvantaged in the community by providing medical care and referral services to various health care programs. 810-985-4747
Free legal assistance
The local law firm of Lakeshore Legal Aid helps with civil legal issues. They will use all methods of legal advocacy, assistance and representation in order to empower clients to address their legal rights and concerns. Get access to legal aid for foreclosures, evictions, utility disconnections, consumer issues, lending. The firm will also provide free legal access to the legal system and all community resources, and Preserve the dignity of their clients. Port Huron Michigan based. Call 586-469-6507, or click here for additional Michigan legal programs.
Food and meals
Mid-City Nutrition (Soup Kitchen) is located in Port Huron Michigan and the center provides food and meals to low income individuals and families those who are homeless. The soup kitchen that is on site serves two hot meals daily on weekdays, and one meal a day on weekends to those who need help. 810-982-9261