latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Schuyler, Pike, Brown County assistance programs.

There are a few main agencies to call in the region. Some short term support and long term case management may be provided by the non-profit community action agency, which is Two Rivers Regional Council of Public Officials. Some of the resources they provide to the less fortunate, seniors, and low income are below.

Federal government funding for paying heating and utility bills is provided by the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP. It is administered in part through the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. Some financial assistance, outreach, energy counseling, and education is available. Bills that can be paid include electricity, natural gas, fuel oil, coal, and propane bills.

The Home Weatherization Assistance Program, or IHWAP, is a conservation program. It will help people save energy and therefore money on their utility bills. The Two Rivers Regional Council works closely with government agencies such as U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Energy, and also the State Supplemental Energy Assistance Fund. The main number to call for help is 217-224-8171. Weatherization services tend to only be available for very low income families in Brown and other nearby counties. Contractors will perform the work and updates on your home.

Free school supplies are offered as part of programs run by Two Rivers School Supply. When possible, it provides free book bags, uniforms and school supplies for income eligible students and teenagers. Other support offered may include snacks, free milk, and maybe even funding for extra curricular activities.

The Illinois Rental Housing Support Program is run in partnership with the Illinois Housing Development Authority. The community action agency works directly with landlords and apartments owners to provide low income and subsidized housing to those in need of help and a place to stay.

Additional energy bill assistance is offered from the Warm Neighbors, Cool Friends. Families in Schuyler, Pike, and Schuyler Counties may apply, as well as others in Illinois. If you do not qualify for LIHEAP, then this program may assist during the meantime. This is mostly for income qualified customers who use Ameren for their heat and electricity.




Basic home repairs and grants may be provided by Two Rivers Regional Council of Public Officials. It is mostly for seniors and the disabled who need minor home repairs, rehabilitation or accessibility modifications to address health and safety concerns. Much of the funding comes from USDA-Rural Development as well as the Department of Commerce and Economic Development.

A Memorial Scholarship Fund may help pay tuition, books, fees, supplies, and other costs. Financial aid is only for income eligible residents accepted at an approved school or college in Illinois.

Vouchers for paying for shelter may be offered. If an approved, homeless client has a referral from the Salvation Army then this may be an option for them. There are some conditions, including participants need to be actively looking for a job. Clients will also get assistance in locating and moving into permanent housing, including government subsidized homes.

The homeless in counties such as Pike can also inquire into funds to pay security deposits on a new, low income approved apartment. Staff from TRRC may have referrals to programs for that, such as the federal funding emergency solution grant, or they may have information on no interest loans for those housing expenses.

Emergency rental assistance may be offered as part of grants from your town. The community action agency works with other charities and churches to address housing, evictions, and homelessness.

Utility bill assistance and reconnection services can assist income qualified residents that have an imminent disconnect notice from a utility company. Your local Two Rivers Regional Council can run this program, and dial 217-224-8171 for additional details.

There are several offices of the Two Rivers Regional Council. To learn more or apply for help, call (217) 224-8171. Or find more on Two Rivers Regional Council programs.





Thrift stores and general household goods

The REACHOUT thrift store/center is a low-cost store open to anyone in the general community. Donations of clothing, holiday gifts, winter coats, and other household items are welcome. All of these goods, which will be gently used, are resold to the general public at reduced prices. 120 South Madison, Pittsfield, Illinois, call 217-285-2054.

Food banks and distribution

A few pantries are available in the region. They are offered in a drop on basis for the poor, unemployed, and needy.

Pike County pantry is at 120 South Madison, Pittsfield, IL 62363.

A pantry is in Brown County as well. Address is 206 SW Cross Street, Mt. Sterling, Illinois 62353

Central Illinois Foodbank - The non-profit can provide various forms of food assistance for income eligible households in Pike, Schuyler, and Brown County. Other towns may be supported too. 2000 East Moffat Street, P.O. Box 8228, Springfield, IL 62791, call (217) 522-4022.



By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site