Salt Lake County eviction and rehousing assistance.

The Continuum of Care in Salt Lake County is committed to ending homelessness in the area. Agencies combine eviction assistance along with rapid rehousing programs in an effort to meet this goal. There is both government grant programs as well as other support (including legal aid and temporary housing) used to help meet the objective.

There are several places for tenants and the homeless to turn to, as noted below. A case manager will meet with the applicant to determine if they qualify for eviction help. If they do not, then referrals will be given instead. Families should bring at minimum the following when applying.

-Proof of income for all household members and from all sources, including SSI disability, a pension, or child support.
-Bring a copy of the vacate/pay or quit notice from the landlord.
-Identification is needed to show resident in Salt Lake County, and if the applicant is an immigrant, assistance may still be arranged.
-Households facing homelessness due to lack of heat, water, or electricity need to bring the disconnection letter.
-People seeking security deposit help should bring a copy of the new lease agreement issued by the landlord.

There are several agencies that offer homeless prevention programs, or HPRP. They include Family Support Center Lifestart Village, the Salt Lake Community Action Agency (SLCAP) as well as Road Home. These organizations are part of the Continuum of Care network. So they not only receive grants from those regional networks, but the United Way as well as the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) also fund the agencies.

Typically in January of each year money is allocated to those and other agencies. They use the funds to help tenants facing eviction. In some cases, when resources allow, homeowners that are behind on their mortgage may also get help. What may be offered to qualified applicants, when funding allows, is as follows.

Assistance to stop evictions. At first, a limited amount of support is given to help stabilize the situation. There is help for people of all backgrounds and religions. Single men, women with children, seniors and youth are just some of those that can be assisted.





Emergency financial help will be provided. However since the money is allocated to the Salt Lake County area in January, it often goes quickly. When available, grants from HUD can be used for paying rental arrears or utility bills if this would keep the family in their home. When no amount of money will help with the situation, the rehousing may be used, which is a form of resettlement.

When funds are used up, the Community Action Agency is the place for referrals. The staff will provide information on how attorneys from the Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake can contest an eviction. That phone number is 801-238-7170. Or if the concern is utility/heating bills, then applications can be given to LIHEAP.

Additional support may also be provided as a form of eviction defense. The Road Home as other non-profits try to provide the family living in poverty several housing options. This is always done as no one wants to see the family evicted and move into a local shelter. This is not good for the client or society at large.

Resettlement Services as well as Rapid Rehousing. For those Salt Lake City residents that qualify, this government supported program has an almost 80% success rate in helping the family. To have this level of success, the applicant needs to do most of the work in overcoming their hardship, but case managers will work with the person throughout this process.

The recently evicted as well as chronically homeless can apply for everything from a voucher to case management. The process is gradual. At first, there may be placement into a shelter or transitional housing program. When those are not available, then a voucher to pay for a motel may be provided. During this period of time the root cause of the housing barrier is tackled.





When the goals of Rapid Rehousing have been met, there may be grant based support for some of the housing costs. Agencies, including the Road Home, may help with the payment of security or utility deposits for new service. There may also be income based apartments used, in which rental subsidies from the government will help.

Long term solutions to pay the rent may be provided too. The Housing and Urban Development (HUD) section 8 voucher will be used to offset some of the costs of the apartment. The application will need to go through the The Housing Authority of the County of Salt Lake. This aid, when combined with Family Self-sufficiency (FSS) as well as ongoing free legal advice is used for ensuring future evictions do not occur.

Residents threatened with an eviction in Salt lake Utah can dial 801-359-2444 or 801.359.4142. In addition, homeless families that are taking the steps to stabilize their situation and that need help with rehousing can also call for assistance.




By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy