Ramsey County rental assistance.

Several programs and non-profits in St. Paul and Ramsey County Minnesota can provide emergency rental assistance. Most of the financial aid for housing is offered to the people who are most at risk, which would include families with children, seniors, and the disabled. Learn more on the various rental, housing, and security deposit assistance programs available below.

A number of financial assistance programs work to prevent homelessness by providing cash assistance to pay rent. In addition to that, the organizations may be able to give free legal advice to those facing an eviction and assist the homeless and so called near homeless people who are living anywhere across Ramsey County Minnesota.

Find an extensive listing of non-profits, charities, and government programs below. In general, services offered by these locations, including in Saint Paul, can include:

  • Advice, representation, and support to those facing eviction.
  • Emergency financial assistance for paying rent, security deposits, moving costs, and other fees.
  • Guidance and assistance in applying for public benefits or federal/public aid.
  • Landlord/tenant mediation services, including helping individuals and families avoid evictions through negotiation with landlords.
  • Help connect low income clients to services needed to stabilize housing and pay their rent.
  • Case management for housing and financial matters.

Ramsey County Financial Assistance Services Division
Address - 160 East Kellogg Boulevard
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101-1494
Phone 266-4444
They run the county government and social services program known as Emergency Assistance. A component of this offering may be able to provide cash to pay rent in a crisis or emergency situation to income qualified individuals, with a focus on the elderly and families with children.





St. Paul Foundation - Community Sharing Fund
Community Sharing Fund
Alliance Bank Center
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101-1797
Offers grants to help in a crisis, and more importantly longer term self-sufficiency programs, counseling, and case management.

Housing Crisis Response, Housing Services for Youth
308 Prince Street
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101

Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans
Primary location is 360 Robert Street North
Saint Paul, MN 55101
Phone (651) 291-8756
Offers Support Services to Homeless Veterans. Military members and their families can get help from federal and state of Minnesota housing programs, funds for paying deposits and moving expenses, and rent help.

Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services – Several locations are around the county as indicated below. Phone number phone 651-222-4731

  • Project HOPE is run at 400 Alliance Bank Center, Saint Paul, MN 55101
  • Housing Alliance Law Office is also offered at Johnson Achievement Plus Elementary School, Saint Paul, MN 55106
  • Legal advice for renters and people facing an eviction. Also get referrals to housing and rent programs.

Neighborhood House, East Side Family Center
Main office is at 740 York Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55106
Phone number (651) 789-2500
Has referrals to emergency financial aid for rent, deposits, and grant programs. Find additional housing assistance from Neighborhood House.

Housing Crisis Response
Housing Services for Single Adults
183 Old 6th St.
Saint Paul, MN 55102




Ramsey County Second Judicial District Court
15 West Kellogg Boulevard
Saint Paul, MN 55102
The resource is known as Housing and Conciliation Court Self-Help Center. Free lawyers can help tenants facing eviction or those with disputes with their landlord over repairs, discrimination, security deposits, or on calculations over how much rent is past due.

Housing Crisis Response
Housing Services for Families
Location 1740 Van Dyke Street
This is another office of the organization referenced above. This one helps the entire family though, and can have referrals to low income housing or emergency rental assistance.

Community Stabilization Project - Tenant Training
501 N. Dale St,
St.Paul MN 55104
(651) 225-8778

Saint Paul Planning and Economic Development Department
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102
Call (651) 266-6020
Another one of the leading Ramsey County government agencies to call in a crisis. Learn about various low income housing solutions, programs such as section 8 vouchers, and rental programs

Vietnamese Minnesotans Association
1030 University Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55104
(651) 290-4791
Family Services can help families deal with a financial hardship.

Referrals to Community Services
St Paul families can get information on and linked to emergency rent assistance solutions. There is support offered to Ramsey County Minnesota families who qualify. Call 651-917-3883 for referrals. Or find more information on rent grants, loans, energy help, and other emergency assistance from the community action partnership of Ramsey County.





Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services
50 North Syndicate Street, Suite 285
Saint Paul, MN 55104
Free legal advice on unsafe housing, apartments, or landlord issues. Clients can get help with stopping evictions, guidance, and referrals to homeless prevention services Lawyers may also have details on local security deposit or rent resources to stabilize the tenants housing.

Lutheran Services
(612) 871-0221

The regional, including St. Paul based non-profit, helps with various housing needs. Tenants can receive eviction prevention advice, learn about rent subsidized housing (such as section 8), and information on loan programs for rental expenses or bills. The charity works with other Ramsey County churches.

YWCA St. Paul
75 Selby Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55102-1822
Rapid Rehousing can help low to moderate income or the homeless in Ramsey County. Access transitional housing or get referrals to grant programs for paying a security deposit or first months rent. Case management is offered too, including for single moms.

Salvation Army Twin Cities Social Services – There are several offices around St. Paul and Ramsey County. The main phone number is 651-224-6946. A number of social services are provided to people who are at most risk. Get help for rent, furniture (when available), eviction prevention, and items like medicines and heating bills too. They also offer homeless shelters and transitional housing, especially during the cold Ramsey County winter months.

  • St. Paul Eastside Office, 1019 Payne Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55130
  • 2445 Prior Avenue, Roseville, MN 55113, Lakewood Corps
  • Maplewood Social Service Office, 2080 Woodlynn Ave, Maplewood, MN 55109
  • St. Paul Citadel West 7th Street Office, 401 West 7th Street, Saint Paul, MN 55102

Cradle of Hope
1935 West County Road B2
Roseville, Minnesota 55113
(651) 636-0637
Financial Aid for Pregnancy Related Expenses. Single parents can learn about low income housing in St. Paul, grant programs for rent or other bills, and more.

Ramsey County HPRP is the regional homeless prevention and rapid rehousing program. Non-profits assist with rent or legal needs to stop evictions. Low income families seeking a new home can apply for grants for security or rental deposits, moving costs, or motel vouchers from social services. More on Ramsey County homeless prevention assistance.

All Parks Alliance for Change
2380 Wycliff Street
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55114
Assistance programs are administered for Mobile Home Park residents. The primary resource available is the Mobile Home Park Residents Advocacy & Information service. Receive referrals to low interest loans for paying rent on the lot and other support.

The American Legion Department of Minnesota
St Paul, MN - 55155
(651) 291-1800
The American Legion of St. Paul offers emergency rent assistance through their Temporary Financial Assistance Program (TANF). This housing and rent assistance program is available to those that qualify for aid and who and are approved. The resources and services are administered through the National Office, however you can apply locally.





Aids Emergency Fund
Roseville, MN 55113
Financial assistance with rent and other needs can be offered to HIV and AIDs patients.

Minnesota Department of Human Services
St. Paul, Minnesota - 55164
Provides emergency housing aid from the federal government funded Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program.

By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy