Gainesville and Alachua County rent assistance.

Get help with paying rent and low income housing in Alachua County as well as Gainesville Florida. A number of churches, government organizations, and charities may have grants or funds that they can provide to income qualified families. Get assistance with security deposits, moving costs, rental expenses, and other housing needs.

The locations and agencies below can provide rent, mortgage, access to low income housing and utilities assistance. Typically recipients of the funds will need to have experienced a loss of income, crisis or unexpected expense, and the hardship should not occur as the fault of the applicant. Examples of the types of hardships that may qualify for rent assistance include an unexpected job loss, medical emergency, divorce, or another crisis. Call on the agencies below for information on shelter, low income housing, or emergency rental assistance.

Alachua County Housing Authority – The government organization provides quality public housing as well as section 8 vouchers that can be used as a form of subsidized rental assistance to certified clients in Alachua County. The demand for help is high and there is normally a waiting list in place. 703 Northeast 1st Street Gainesville, Florida 32601-5304, (352) 372-2549

Alachua County Social Services Program
218 SE 24th Street
Gainesville, Florida 32641
Phone - (352) 264-6750
Offers information on various housing programs. They range from first time homebuyer loans and grants, emergency rental assistance and section 8, and foreclosure help. Call to learn more, or to apply for financial assistance.





Another Way, Inc. – The location provides emergency shelter, low income transitional housing, outreach services, children's services, free legal advocacy and community education for victims of domestic violence. (352) 463-6009

Gainesville Catholic Charities
Main office 1701 NE Ninth Street
Gainesville, Florida 32609
Number for rent & utility assistance is (352) 224-6444
As funding allows, may have money to pay rent if someone has an eviction notice. A number of low income programs are offered to families in a crisis situation. A second office is at 15 SE 1st Avenue, High Springs, Florida 32655, dial (352) 372-0294.

Arbor House, Inc. - Pregnant adult women or adult mothers with children can get transitional housing, education, case management, and support services. Gainesville, FL 32604-0363, (352) 371-2229

City of Gainesville: Community Development Block Grants – Low and moderate income residents can improve quality of life from financial assistance and programs offered. 352.334-5000

Fire of God Ministries: Provides limited cash assistance for basic needs, spiritual counseling, meals, and other basic necessities to all people regardless of religion or background, with a particular emphasis on the unemployed, poor, hurting and homeless. 619 NE 1st St. Gainesville, Florida 32601, (352) 375-0200

The regional community action agency can provide help. The Central Florida Agency has an office in Gainesville. State and federal ESG grants can help with back rent or utilities. Or try legal aid in housing court, job programs, low income housing, and so much more. Or find more details on rent assistance from Central Florida Community Action.





Florida Department of Children and Families – Alachua County government office that provides food stamps, temporary cash assistance, section 8 vouchers and low income housing, and Medicaid assistance. 13th Street Unit 56, Liberty Center Gainesville, Fl 32609, 352 371-1979

Gainesville Community Ministry – The non-profit provides a wide variety of basic necessities, including rent help and money for security deposits, for low income and homeless persons in a faith based environment. 818 West University Avenue, Gainesville, Florida (352) 372-8125

Gainesville Housing Authority: Offers safe, affordable, yet quality public housing or rental assistance to certified clients and families in the City of Gainesville. 1900 SE 4th St. Gainesville, FL 32641-8791, call (352) 872-5500

Family Promise of Gainesville - Homeless families and children can get shelter, supportive care, case management, and meals. The address is confidential, and for more information call (352) 378-2030.

Homeless prevention services are available to tenants in an emergency. Agencies offer government grants for housing needs, including rent, water bills, or moving costs. Other support is often combined with rental assistance, such as free legal aid. More information on Alachua County homeless prevention programs.

Lazarus Restoration Ministries: Provides emergency shelter, low income transitional housing, supportive services, information on public assistance, and case management to homeless families and low income enrolled in the Self-Sufficiency Program. 3019 NE 20th Way Gainesville, FL 32609 (352) 514-6417

Gainesville Neighborhood Improvement Department Housing and Community Development Division
Gainesville, Florida 32602
Phone (352) 3345026
Runs the federal government funded Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program. Offers money for rent, hotel and motel vouchers, credit and debt counseling, and more housing services.

VETSPACE: Veterans can get transitional and permanent supportive housing and support services, including emergency rental assistance.

Peaceful Paths - Provides emergency and transitional shelter, information on housing and rent programs, and comprehensive services to victims of domestic violence in Alachua County. 2100 Northwest 53rd Avenue Gainesville, FL 32653, telephone (352) 377-8255

St. Francis House – Administers emergency shelter for all people who were evicted, homeless persons, case management, and comprehensive support services.  413 South Main Street Gainesville, FL 32601-6723, call (352) 378-9079

Trinity United Methodist Church - Supports and participates in local homeless ministries, partners with charities in Alachua County, and partners with agencies such as St. Francis House, House of Hope, and Interfaith Hospitality Network.  Also coordinates the annual Thanksgiving Basket program. 4000 Northwest 53rd Avenue Gainesville, FL 32653-4405, call (352) 376-6615





Volunteers of America (VOA): Provides low income housing, transitional housing, case management, moving costs, and support services to homeless veterans in Gainesville and Alachua County.

Three Rivers Legal Services – Pro-bono legal services. Offers low-cost or free legal counsel and advice in civil matters to low income individuals and families. Among other services is landlord/tenant mediation. 901 Northwest 8th Avenue Gainesville, Florida 32601, call (352) 372-0519

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy