Church assistance programs Wake County.
Raleigh churches can be a source of financial help, free advice, food, basic needs, health screenings, and of course faith based support. Each parish in the city and Wake County region will usually help any family or individual that lives in the community, regardless of their religion, race, age, immigration status, belief, language, or other factors.
When it comes to financial aid for paying rent or bills, resources are limited. Churches in Wake County are more likely to offer other support, such as free items like food, clothes, basic health check-ups or screenings as well as vouchers for gasoline or a motel. Other churches in the Raleigh area only offer counseling around pregnancy, divorce, or substance abuse. Find some of the leading churches in Raleigh as well as the county as well as the services they may offer.
Free items from churches in Wake County
Almost all parishes provide some form of free food or meals. This is done from pantries and/or soup kitchens. A Wake County church will collect donated groceries, hygiene or household supplies (like detergent, soap, feminine products, etc.). While a free food pantry is often available, some have clothing banks too. Or they give out free stuff for the needy. The main churches for food include:
- Hope Community Church. The food pantry is at 821 Buck Jones Road, Raleigh, NC 27606. Dial 919-532-0620.
- New Bethel Baptist Church - 605 East Young Street, Rolesville, North Carolina 27571. There is both a free Food Pantry and Closet Care. Phone 919-556-2500.
- Sure Promise Christian Church. Location is 4301 Pearl Road, Raleigh, NC 27610. Telephone - 919-758-0843.
- New Providence Missionary Baptist, 4813 Hilltop Needmore Road, Fuquay Varina, North Carolina 27526. Phone 919-552-3431.
- Gethsemane Seventh Day Adventist Church. Address is 2521 Sanderford Road, Raleigh, NC 27610, telephone 919-833-1843
- New Life Community Church, 3115 Crittenden Street, Holly Springs, NC 27540. Main number is 919-362-9100.
- North Haven Church - 6620 Six Forks Road, Raleigh, NC 27615. Phone 919-847-4291. Free basic medical care, medications, food, and more may be offered.
- Saint Mary AME Church food bank and soup kitchen is at 600 South Salem Street, Apex, North Carolina 27502. Phone: 919-362-0076
- First Baptist Church Raleigh has multiple services at 99 North Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC 27603, phone 919-832-4485. This charity has free Christmas toys, clothing for the poor, as well as school supplies.
- UMOJA Central SDA Church is at 314 Bashford Road, Raleigh, NC 27606. Phone - 919-931-7877.
There are many other faith based groups, churches and parishes that may offer help for food, clothes, hygiene, and related needs. A referral number is at the bottom of the page. In general, the food pantries and other free items (such as a motel voucher) are available for people in the parish region. Churches in Wake County, as well as in any municipality, tend to focus on their immediate parish boundaries. But they will provide assistance to people of all ages, backgrounds, or religions.
Financial aid from churches
This is much more limited. When churches in the Raleigh region do offer funds for paying rent or say electric or water bills, the funds are both (1) limited and (2) for emergencies only. There will also be stricter income criteria for financial help based on income as well as stability among other factors.
Wake County churches do not provide emergency financial help for paying utility bills, car repairs or rent in a vacuum. Instead they will combine it with free food, medical care, blankets for the homeless, clothes and what not. In addition, case management type services will also be given.
Two of the leading faith based groups including the Wake County Catholic Charities as well as Salvation Army financial assistance programs in Raleigh. They rely on volunteers and donations to help the less fortunate. People of all backgrounds, even immigrants and Spanish speakers, may apply for financial help.
As noted, churches are located across Wake County and offer a wide variety of social services. Call 888-892-1162 for referrals to a church as well as get information on the financial help, free items, counseling, or other programs that may be offered.