Eviction and rehousing help in Providence County.

There are a few primary homeless prevention as well as rapid rehousing programs available in Providence County Rhode Island. The resources available to the non-profits as well as government agencies that work to stop evictions are the result of funds from Emergency Solution Grants, SSVF for veterans, and even the HOPWA program, also known as Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS. Each is focused on preventing evictions as well as reducing overall homelessness in the community.

The Planning and Development Department from the city of Providence plays a key role in distributing federal government funds to these agencies. Each year there is an application process in place in which non-profits need to apply for HUD funds. For those agencies that are allocated money for that year, they need to provide housing services (such as rent or deposit help, shelter, and loans) to those faced that are either currently homeless or that are facing eviction.

The funds allocated to the area go very quickly. Any financial help is generally provided first come and served until the money runs out. When the Providence County eviction prevention programs are done, additional referrals can always be provided by the United Way. However at that point in time the remaining options are limited.

Eviction help – Anyone that is struggling to keep up with their monthly rent payment, or their utility bills, should request counseling as soon as possible. Tenants should never wait until they have a vacate notice from their landlord. By then it is usually too late to get help.

Provide County agencies have a number of resources they can bring to the table in order to help the individual or family. But this will truly depend on a few things, including the following.

  • The applicant needs to meet income limits.
  • Assistance needs to be requested before an eviction notice has been issued. While help can be given after that, it is more challenging.
  • The applicant needs to document the fact they can keep up with future rent payments and other bills on their own within about 3-6 months or so.





  • Any money paid out or loans issued will need to be matched by the tenant, as they need to make a good faith effort to pay their own way.
  • Families need to enroll into budgeting classes as well as case management sessions in Providence Rhode island.
  • Veterans and their families in Providence can seek support from the SSVF program, and this is another option.

Those are just a few of the criteria that a Providence County non-profit may have in place. Other conditions may also need to be met by those applying for the various assistance programs that can stop their eviction. Each agency has their own terms and conditions.

For more information on methods to prevent an evictions, dial 401-273-2000. If qualified, the tenants will be assisted in applications for a grant. Or they will be directed to firms that offer legal aid or general case management.

Providence programs for moving and rehousing – Two of the primary federal government HUD funded programs are the ESG grant for first month rent assistance or security deposits as well as TBRA - Tenant Based Rental Assistance. There is also a program focused on victims of domestic violence or single mothers that are homeless, and they should call 1-800-494-8100.

The counties that participate in the ESG grant allotment process will use the money they are allocated by Planning and Development Department for preventing evictions (which is discussed above) as well as rapid rehousing. Both of these are used to stop homelessness in the greater Providence County region.





Rehousing includes one or many tactics. There are shelters operated, as well as assistance to pay for basic needs in them such as food or clothing. Case management is also part of rehousing, which addresses the root cause of the eviction. If and when the family is ready to move into a new home, then ESG grants can be used to pay for the costs involved. So homeless families can apply for deposit help, money to pay for storage or moving costs, as well as first months rent.

Some Providence County agencies have information on landlords that are willing to work with tenants with either poor credit scores or an eviction on their record. This is often critical to the rapid rehousing process as many low income families or those living in poverty have difficulty in finding an apartment to lease. So this service can be very beneficial to the process.

When it comes to homeless prevention, the local community action agencies in the county take a leading role. There are several located across Providence County and all of Rhode Island. For more information, call 401-273-2000. Or as noted, survivors of domestic violence (whether a women or child) should dial 1-800-494-8100.




By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy