latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Energy Bill Assistance

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescription Drugs

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Paying Bills

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Rental assistance in Portland Maine area.

Cumberland County Maine residents who are facing an eviction or some sort of emergency can receive help from rental assistance programs, charities, or churches in Portland and throughout the county. Several non-profit agencies, government programs, and other resources are made available. In addition, each and every town in Cumberland County Maine is mandated by state law to offer general assistance to its residents, and that financial aid may be able to help address housing or rent concerns.

The programs and agencies below will oftentimes administer a variety of services, however each organization has made an effort to focus on families who may be dealing with an eviction or some type of crisis that causes a hardship with their rent. Some organizations may have cash for paying rent or security deposits, some may help people apply for government aid like section 8 vouchers, and others may just offer free advice and case management. However the fact is that all of them are trying to reduce homelessness in the greater Portland and Cumberland County Maine area. Call one or more of the locations below for information on their rental and housing assistance programs.

Salvation Army Greater Portland is located at 297 Cumberland Avenue, Portland, Maine 04101. Phone number is 207-774-6304. They offer programs for all age groups, religions, and backgrounds. They do offer funds for rent (when available), travelers’ aide for stranded person, disaster services/assistance, housing and shelter. Find other ways the Maine Salvation Army can assist.

Frannie Peabody Center runs the Haven Program. It is administered from 30 Danforth Street, Portland, Maine 04101, phone 774-6877. Various housing programs are offered, including rental subsidies and short-term financial assistance with mortgage, housing costs, and even utility payments. Grants may be available to help maintain stable housing and keep people in their home or apartment.

Prop of 510 Cumberland Avenue, Portland, ME 04101 (phone 207-874-1140) runs a number of assistance programs, ranging from child development up through temporary housing for Cumberland County families. Other services include home improvement loans, case management, information on section 8 vouchers, information on non-profits that may funds for back rent, and home ownership training for first time buyers.




The Maine Department of Health and Human Services, which is based at 161 Marginal Way, Portland, ME 04101, runs TANF, which can in fact offer emergency rent and housing aid. Emergency financial assistance is offered for single parents supporting their children, intact families with unemployed or disabled parents, or pregnant women. The main reason for any renal assistance is to prevent evictions. Call 207-822-2071.

Bridging Rental Assistance Program, which is run by the non-profit Shalom House (address is 106 Gilman Street, P.O. Box 560, Portland, ME 04112, call 207-874-1080) may be able to assist individuals and families with rent or housing assistance for up to 24 months. Or housing may be provided until a client is awarded a Section 8 housing voucher or another federal government subsidy. Applicants to BRAP need to have a psychiatric disability, must have applied to Section 8 through your local public housing, and also be currently received SSI or SSDI.

Housing Choice Vouchers, or Section 8, are offered by a number of agencies in Cumberland County Maine. This federal program will help people pay their rent by offering them a voucher to make up the difference between the monthly housing costs that is due to the landlord and their income. Some of the places to call for an application include.

  • Portland Housing Authority 14 Baxter Boulevard, Portland, Maine, 04101, call 207-773-4753
  • South Portland Housing Authority 51 Landry Circle, South Portland, ME 04106, telephone 207-773-4140
  • Westbrook Housing Authority 30 Liza Harmon Drive, Westbrook, ME 04092, dial 207-854-9779
  • Brunswick Housing Authority 12 Stone Street, Brunswick, Maine, 04011, dial 207-725-8711
  • Avesta Housing 30 South Street, Saco, Maine 04072, telephone 207-282-0032
  • Other section 8 rent programs exist, and even learn about deposit help from HUD section 8.

Rental Assistance Coupon Plus Program (RAC+) is run out of an office at Housing Authority 252 Water Street, Augusta, ME 04330. Call 207-775-4879. It is a state of Maine housing program that will offer one-time housing/rent assistance and maybe loans for a security deposit. A priority is on the homeless and people who were evicted.





Pine Tree Legal Assistance is at 88 Federal Street, Portland, ME 04101, call 207-774-8211. An attorney can help you address landlord and eviction matters, and may even be able to help with a foreclosure.

Every town in Maine offers General Assistance, which is in effect temporary financial assistance for bills. There may be government grants for expenses including housing, utilities, housing, and other basic services and needs that essential to maintain a household. Call your town office in Cumberland County and ask about General Assistance.

Avesta Housing runs affordable housing programs. Other resources include rental assistance and advocacy on behalf of tenants and homeowners alike. Office is at 307 Cumberland Ave. Portland, ME 04101, or call 207-553-7777

Mediation in housing court is available. This will be for any tenant, family, or individual who is behind on their rent and/or utility bills and who is being evicted by their landlord. The Portland Maine (or Cumberland County) court clerk will set this up. The process is known as Forcible Entry and Detainer Action (FED). If behind on rental or deposit costs, and want free legal advice, request it from the county clerk.

Tedford Housing runs a Homeless Prevention Program in Brunswick. Call 207-729-1161. The team can offer landlord or tenant mediation services as well as other support, including loans for housing, rent, and energy costs. The goal is to stop evictions from occurring.

Cumberland Emergency Solution Grants – After going through the application process, including a complete phone intake with a volunteer, local non-profits may be able to help with a short term hardship or struggle, including housing challenges. Programs in the community can assist with paying rent, improve credit scores, offer money for deposits, assist with energy bills, and coordinate access self-sufficiency and employment programs. Applicants will be referred to a social service or housing agency, general assistance or social worker. Telephone 1-877-463-6207.

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy


Search Site