Free holiday help in Pierce County.
Children from low income households in Pierce County may be able to receive a free Christmas gift. Charities offer toys for tots, clothing, electronics, gifts, games and many other items. In addition, the family can be provide a hot Thanksgiving or Christmas meal at the same time as a toy, and more information on the organizations to apply at is below.
These holiday programs in the Tacoma area are focused on those families living in poverty with youth as well as senior citizens. Other residents who tend to be provided help include the unemployed, disabled, and single months. Each year thousands of kids are given free Christmas toys and others receive other help, all due to the generosity of the community.
When seeking assistance during the holidays, both gifts and food baskets are provided on a first come and served basis. Be sure to apply for help early.
DSHS of Tacoma, Puyallup, and Lakewood
They provide toys to children under the age of 14, if the family already receives benefits, such as food stamps of Head Start. In order to get a toy, applicants need photo I.D, driver's license, and proof of income.
- Northern Pierce County DSHS office is at 1949 South State Street, Tacoma, Washington. Residents of the zip codes of 98401, 98402, 98403, 98405, 98406, 98407, 98415, 98416, 98421, 98422, 98464, 98465, 98466, 98322, 98329, 98332, 98333,98335, 98359, 98394,98395, 98329, as well as 98394 can apply.
- Lakewood Washington residents of the zip codes of 98303, 98327, 98387, 98388, 98409, 98411, 98412, 98413, 98430, 98431, 98433, 98438, 98439, 98442, 98467, 98492, 98493, 98497, 98498, 98499, and 98597 can apply for holiday help from 5712 Main Street SW, Lakewood, WA.
- DSHS center of southern Pierce is for residents of 98404, 98408, 98418, 98444, 98445, 98447, 98448, 98450, and 98455. The main location is 1301 E 72nd St, Tacoma, Washington.
- The Free Toys for Tots programs are also offered from the DSHS Puyallup office at 201 West Main Street.
Pierce County Toys for Tots – This provides gifts to children using donations. New, unwrapped toys, legos, games, books, bikes, video games, and more may be offered. The applications are normally processed in November and early December.
- Town of Sumner as well as Bonney Lake– Applications are done by each child's school.
- ELKS 174, 2013 S Cedar Street, Tacoma, WA
- West/North Pierce County application site is at 1949 S State St Room 195, Tacoma, WA, 98405. This includes most of the city of Tacoma too.
- Lakewood and South Pierce County Toys for Tots program - 5712 Main St, Lakewood, WA, 98499
- Long Branch Improvement Club, 4312 Key Peninsula Hwy. South
- Orting Valley Fire and Rescue, 401 Washington Avenue SE, Orting, WA.
- Eatonville residents can apply from 305 West Center, Eatonville, Washington. Dial 360-832-6805.
- Wilderness Praise Church, 10515 269th St E, Graham, Washington
- East Tacoma and Parkland – Address is 1301 E 72 St, Tacoma, WA, 98404
- There are other application sites as well. Apply here. https://pierce-county-wa.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/default.aspx?nPageID=100&nPreviewInd=200&nRedirectInd=3
Allen AME Church
Address is 1223 MLK Jr Way
Tacoma, Washington 98405
(253) 572 – 5733
The Christmas House has free winter coats, boots, toys, and more. All gifts in Pierce County are first come, first served to low income families.
Children's Home Society
Location 17010 S Vaughn Rd
Vaughn, WA, 98394
For information, call (253) 884-5433
They offer holiday assistance to Gig Harbor/Key Peninsula. Toys, presents, clothing, and more is for struggling/working poor parents.
Salvation Army – Tacoma and Pierce County
1501 6th Ave
Tacoma, WA 98405
Main phone - (253) 572-8452
They serve Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, run the Angel Tree program, and offer other programs. Everything from free Christmas toys to food from a pantry, funds for heating bills, and vouchers are given to clients. There are also free Thanksgiving dinner meals.
Catholic Charity churches
There are several in Pierce County. Free food (including at Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas), clothes, free Christmas toys as well as gift cards, meals and other holiday help. There is assistance for the poor, low income, elderly, and others. More on Catholic Charity assistance programs Pierce County.
Toy Rescue Mission
Address - 607 S Winnifred St
Tacoma, WA, 98465
Telephone: (253) 460 - 6711
Toys passed out can include books, games, dolls, trucks, gift wrap, movies, stuffed animals, and more.
Black Diamond Community Center
31605 3rd Ave
Black Diamond, WA, 98010
Phone number is (360) 886-1011
Senior citizens can get a free Christmas meal. A lunch is served to clients.
Main address - 622 4th Ave E
Puyallup, Washington 98372
Both a Thanksgiving meal with a turkey is served along with a free Christmas dinner. Small stocking stuffers may be provided too.
Gig Harbor Peninsula FISH Food Bank
Address - 4425 Burnham Dr NW
Gig Harbor, WA, 98332
Dial (253) 858 – 6179
Low income families and those living in poverty can be given free Christmas food baskets.
Address is 1200 S 336th St.
Federal Way, Washington 98003
Food, groceries, and more is given at Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas to Federal Way School District residents only.
Oasis of Hope Foundation
1937 S G St Oasis of Hope Center
Tacoma, WA 98405
Children and teenagers under the age of 19 can be given a free toy. There is also a chick dinner and other Christmas meals served.