Peoples Gas Share the Warmth heating bill assistance in Chicago.
Thousands of families benefit from the Share the Warmth program every year. The energy company will provide qualified low income households and those facing poverty with cash grants that can be used to pay their heating bills. This program is even offered for those customers that are enrolled in the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
The are a number of application sites around the city that people can apply at. However it is administered by the Citizens Utility Board (CUB). As expanded upon below, the program does rely on donations from the community and local businesses, so please do contribute if you can.
Peoples Gas will tend to accept applications for the Share the Warmth program during the fall months. Any aid is distributed on a first come and first served basis, so do apply as soon as possible. The program can help struggling and unemployed residents get a leg up on paying their winter heating bills. Residents in Chicago who are struggling financially or facing some form of hardship are strongly urged to apply to see if they are eligible for assistance.
The program has been operating since the early 2000s. Over the years millions of dollars has been provided to tens of thousands of families in the region. A number of people have been able to keep their heat on from the grants provided by Share the Warmth. The energy bill assistance program is funded through donations from both Peoples Gas and North Shore Gas utilities. Many customers from those companies, their employees and other contribute. Often the city of Chicago or federal government may also provide some grants or funds.
If you apply and are not qualified, or if there are no funds left, then those customers who are not eligible to receive a grant from Share the Warmth have other options available to them. For example, people can enroll in the Budget Billing plan. They can explore programs like the Chicagoland Natural Gas Savings Program. More details are below.
Budget Billing allows customers of all income levels, even those that have benefited from Share the Warmth, to spread their natural gas costs and the payments they make on them more evenly over the course of the entire year.
Another program is The Chicagoland Natural Gas Savings Program. This will provide families with rebates that they can use to help pay for and offset the costs of furnaces, boilers, water heaters and home insulation. Owners of homes are eligible for these rebates and discounts when they install certain types of energy-saving products.
Customers can apply for both Share the Warmth and any LIHEAP funds at several locations throughout the city of Chicago. Of course, with any program, income levels will need to be met by applicants. The limits will take into consideration the number of family members that live in your home.
- The zip code of 60608 is covered by Casa Aztlan, 1831 S. Racine Ave., (phone 312-666-5508) as well as Spanish Coalition for Housing, 1915 S. Blue Island Ave., dial 312-850-2660. Or contact Chinese American Service League, 2141 S. Tan Court, 312-791-0418.
- Zip code of 60617 residents should dial Spanish Coalition for Housing, 9010 S. Commercial Ave.. Call 773-933-7575.
- Bethlehem Star M.B. Church, 9231 S. Cottage Grove Ave., Chicago IL, 60619, phone 773-487-8441. Or stop by God's Gang, 1033 E. 95th St., telephone 773-213-0229.
- Community Care Outreach, 8615 S. Ashland Ave., Chicago, 60620. Call 773-881-9007.
- Hope Organization II, 6921 S. Halsted St., Chicago Illinois, 60621, 773-846-0883
- Zip code of 60622 residents. Call Puerto Ricans Unidos En Accion (PRUA), 2606 W. Division St., 773-235-5274.
- Universal Prayer Tower, 4540 W. Washington Blvd., Chicago, IL 60624. Dial 773-378-3464.
- Hanul Family Alliance, 5008 N. Kedzie Ave. , Chicago, IL 60625. Call 773-478-8851, x123.
- Zip code of 60628. Stop by or call Fernwood United Methodist Church, 10105 S. Wallace St., (phone 773-881-0800) or Brock Social Services Organization, 10302 S. Corliss Ave., dial 773-291-0500.
- Good Counsel Center, 2700 W. 59th St., Chicago, 60629. Dial 773-863-1179.
- Hegewisch Community Committee, 13260 S. Brandon Ave., Chicago IL 60633, 773-646-4488
- MACEO, Inc, 1255 W. 63rd St., Chicago, 60636, dial 773-488-8864.
- Hope Organization, 6201 S. Wolcott Ave., dial 773-776-4752.
- WECAN (Woodlawn East Community and Neighbors), 6450 S. Stony Island Ave., Chicago, 60637, dial 773-288-3000
- Spanish Coalition for Housing, 1922 N. Pulaski Rd., Chicago, 60639. Call 773-342-7575
- South-East Asia Center, 5120 N. Broadway, Chicago Illinois 60640, call 773-989-6927
- Chinese Mutual Aid Association, 1016 W. Argyle St., Chicago, call 773-784-2900
- Hope Organization, 1042 W. 103rd St., Chicago, IL 60643. Dial 773-429-9114.
- South Austin Coalition Community Council, 5071 W. Congress Pkwy., Chicago IL, 60644. Telephone 312-743-1538.
If you have questions about Share the Warmth, please contact People Gas at 866-556-6001 or any of those locations listed above.