Onslow, Pender, and Carteret County rent assistance.

Find information on organizations to call for rent help in the Jacksonville North Carolina area. The region, including the counties of Onslow, Carteret, and Pender, is supported by both charities and government social services agencies. The organizations assist the low income, seniors, and disabled with everything from security deposits to back rent.

If an applicant does not meet eligibility criteria, or if an agency is out of resources, then other forms of assistance for rental expenses can be coordinated. As an example, the case managers can offer referrals to legal aid to prevent an eviction or more long term support, such as case management. Or the tenant can try again later as there tends to be additional state or federal grants given for paying rent to the Onslow County based agencies.

Salvation Army – Onslow County branch
Jacksonville, NC 28546
(910) 346-8800
Applicants needs a DSS referral, and emergency rent assistance is only offered at most once per year, if funding allows.

Infant of Prague Church is located at 205 Chaney Ave. There may have housing support for people, including families or single parents with children. The Jacksonville, North Carolina church is at (910) 347-4196.

Department of Social Services / DSS Onslow
1915 Onslow Drive Extension
Jacksonville, North Carolina 28540
(910) 938-9723
Temporary financial aid and grants can be used for rent, energy bills, and mortgages, among other expenses. They also support veterans, senior citizens and military personnel in the region.




Onslow Community Outreach Homeless Shelter
The shelter is at 600 Court St
Jacksonville, NC
(910) 455-5733

Eastern Carolina Human Services Agency
246 Georgetown Rd
Jacksonville, NC 28541
Main number is (910) 347-2151
The non-profit offers referrals to section 8 housing as well as security deposit help or rent subsidies to low income families. Any grants are combined with job training and placement into a more affordable home.

Pender County Department of Social Services
810 South Walker Street
Burgaw, North Carolina 28425
Phone - (910) 259-1240
Residents of the county can apply for welfare, public housing, and other support.

Transitional Housing Program - Onslow
309 Court Street
Jacksonville, NC 28540
Dial (910) 455-7111 for details

Carteret County Department of Social Services
210 Craven Street
Beaufort, North Carolina 28516
(252) 723-3181
Eviction prevention and rehousing is met by interest free loans and other aid.





Social Services Economic Division
Address - 1915 Onslow Drive Extension
Jacksonville, NC 28540
Call (910) 219-1830
Note funding often runs out, but when available, there is assistance is for rent, utilities, housing repairs, and other housing expenses. A focus of the financial aid for rental expenses is to stop homelessness in Onslow County.

Pender County Christian Services
Location 102 East Wilmington Street
Burgaw, North Carolina
Call the charity at (910) 259-5840 for referrals.

Coastal Community Action, Inc.
Newport, NC 28570-0729
Call (252) 223-1630
Staff offer support ranging from grants to referrals to medical needs and disability programs. Some clients may qualify for very limited rent or mortgage payment assistance.

St. James United Methodist Church
1011 Orange Street
Newport, NC 28570
(252) 223-4727
Very limited, one time assistance for rent, deposits, and more is offered.




Hope Mission of Carteret County, Inc.
1420 Bridges Street
Morehead City, NC 28557
(252) 240-2359
Programs include shelter as well as loans for housing expenses or back rent.

Legal Aid of Eastern North Carolina
Call (910) 763-6207
Volunteer and pro-bono attorneys advise seniors and low income residents of Pender and surrounding counties. They can help with evictions as well.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy