Assistance programs Northeastern Georgia.
Find financial assistance as well as free stuff in Elbert, Morgan, Barrow, Jackson, Madison, Oglethorpe and all of NE Georgia. There is grant money to help with rent or utility bills as well as housing or mortgage payment assistance. Or find a food pantry near you, places for free home furniture, or vouchers for gasoline or a hotel.
Resources assist senior citizens, the disabled, unemployed and single parents (among others). Also find job training or placement services, free credit counseling or repair services, and seasonal help such as back to school supplies or Christmas gifts or toys below.
Emergency financial help for bills
Area Churches Together Serving, or ACTS, is an organization made up of almost 30 churches. Financial aid for paying utility bills, free food, clothing, and more may be available. 130 East Thompson St., Watkinsville, Georgia 30662, dial (770) 725-2330.
Safe House Ministries in Elberton (call (706) 213-7657) runs a short-term emergency shelter for homeless individuals. The non-profit also runs a free food pantry and clothing bank/thrift store. Also receive case management and help in finding a new home.
Salvation Army has several social service centers in northern and eastern Georgia. Programs include emergency assistance from the Food & Nutrition Programs, including free groceries as well as holiday meals. There is also financial assistance for utilities, rent, clothing, food, and prescription costs or vouchers to pay for gasoline for work reasons.
Low income families can get free toys or food baskets as part of Christmas assistance or get free stuff from a clothing or furniture bank and more. Locations are in Jackson, Barrow and other counties and towns too. In Barrow and Jackson Counties, dial 770-534-7589. In Elbert County call (706) 283-1804. Find Salvation Army centers in Northeast Georgia.
Jackson County Senior Center provides low cost congregate meals, free home-delivered meals, telephone reassurance, information on health care, transportation services, and recreational activities. 151 General Jackson Dr, Jefferson, Georgia 30549, call (706) 367-5101.
Rural Outreach Center is a non-profit resource for locating housing for low income individuals. A food pantry is run and also get help in locating emergency financial assistance, government benefits, and the site also serves as a referral center. 245 North Street, Crawford, GA 30630, call (706) 743-3800
A Hope For Tomorrow is a charity mission is to help low income people. It can provide support such as utility bill assistance, free food, prescriptions and holiday assistance. Address is 137 Rockwell Church Road NW, Winder, Georgia 30680, call (404) 579-0447 for intake.
Church of The Month may have basic needs such as food and school supplies. Funds for paying rent, utilities, and other bills may be offered too. (770) 868-4253
Greene County Christian Outreach in Greensboro is a non-profit that operates a thrift store and a clothing bank. It may have furniture, household goods and clothing discounted and free to those eligible. Emergency financial aid for bills, housing, and other critical expenses may be offered. (706) 454-0250
Department of Family & Children Services operates in most counties. They mainly focus on processing applications for and administering government aid. This includes food stamps, or the main federal government program designed to supplement the grocery budget for eligible families. Apply for TANF, or the monthly cash assistance program for low income families with children under age 18. Medicaid and burial assistance may be offered too, as well as rental assistance, section 8, and housing programs. More details rent help.
- Barrow County, 16 Lee Street, Winder, Georgia 30680, (770) 868-4222
- Elbert County, 45 Forest Ave., Elberton, GA 30635. Main number is (706) 213-2001
- Morgan County, 2005 South Main, Madison, GA 30650, dial (706) 343-5800
Ark of Jackson County, Inc. can assist with transportation for medical appointments and also provide financial assistance for paying utilities, rent, heating bills, prescriptions, medical supplies, and other needs. 243 Washington St., Jefferson, Georgia 30549, call (706) 367-8365.
There is a regional community action Infoline to call for referrals. The center has information on several offices in the area that administer resources for the working poor, low income, and disabled, among others. The main resources are below. The hotline will give referrals to those that need them.
- Senior Care can help with basic needs such as providing bags of groceries and assisting with minor household tasks. There is also information on loan programs for home repairs, rent, and other costs.
- Child Development Center, including processing applications for government programs such as Head Start. Children and young students can get free meals, snacks, educational opportunities and other support.
- Weatherization, including basic Emergency Home Repair Program is focused on providing safe, affordable and energy efficient housing. An audit of your home will take place, then staff will address energy efficiency and safety of the home, for free or low cost. This can include items such as roof replacement, extra insulation, minor plumbing or electrical repair, flooring, and similar improvements.
- There are also a number of HUD certified housing agencies in Northeast Georgia, including Barrow and Jackson County. Counselors are dedicated to assist families and individuals maintain housing. Services include free foreclosure prevention, home maintenance education, first time home buyer assistance, rental counseling, and programs for the homeless, such as security deposit help. Other services are budgeting, credit repair, and debt reduction. Click more Georgia HUD foreclosure counseling.
- Community Services, including financial assistance for basic needs and case management or free items may be offered. The goal is to help families and residents break the cycle of poverty and focus on longer-range goals. Some of what may be provided by Action Inc. includes emergency food, help with mortgage and rent payments, and energy bill assistance as well.
- The Opportunities Now program is another tool to use. Case managers from the community action agency will assist clients in obtaining housing, food, clothing and medical care. Enroll into financial literacy and credit repair training. ACTION Inc. will arrange and provide for tutors for educational assistance when needed. Other assistance includes job search and training programs that operate across northeastern Georgia.
- LIHEAP is the main government low income energy bill assistance program. It provides qualified households with a one-time cash grant/payment to assist low-income families with home heating and utility bills. It normally opens up for applications during the fall months, and a number of conditions will need to be met.
There are centers and non-profits all across Northeastern Georgia. Some are churches or financial aid or food can be provided by charities as well. The towns supported include the following. Or click more information on Community Services Infoline.
- Winder, GA 30680 has several charities.
- Jackson County including Jefferson, GA 30549
- Greene County is also supported by a hotline as is the city of Greensboro, GA 30642
- Madison County families including residents of Danielsville, Georgia 30633
- Morgan County and Madison, GA 30650 has non-profits in the region.
- Oconee County, including the town of Bishop, Georgia 30621
- Oglethorpe County and the city of Lexington, GA 30648
Regional free food banks
There are several churches, pantries, and charities in the region for the less fortunate in northeast Georgia. They may have free food, groceries, meals, and other basic needs. Some holiday programs may be administered too.
- The Connecting Point Church, 1030 Commerce Court, Bogart, Georgia 30622, call (770) 725-2750 for hours.
- Banks/Jackson Food Bank, 111 Atlanta Avenue, Commerce, GA 30529, (706) 335-5143
- Christian Outreach Ministry may have boxes of free food. The site also has a thrift store. (706) 335-6084
- Community Food Bank serves the poor, low income, seniors and children. Fruits, vegetables, government commodities, and formula may be provided. (706) 367-8974
- First Baptist Church of Jefferson. Call (706) 367-8332
- Sardis Presbyterian Church - Food Pantry, 652 Gordon Street, Jefferson, Georgia 30549, (706) 367-8974
- Barrow County Food Bank is located at 41 Chandler St. in Winder, Georgia 30680. Dial (770) 867-1996. Applicants will need written food voucher from DFCS.
- Bush Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church in Winder. Main phone (770) 867-1200
- Elbert County Senior Center may serve free meals and also has a home delivery program for seniors citizens and the homebound. (706) 283-2033
- Hope Center of Elberton, GA, Inc., (706) 436-4940
- Find more food pantries in Georgia.
Medical care for free or reduced prices
County Health Departments can assist the low income, poor, and uninsured in northeastern Georgia. Some of what is offered includes free hearing/visions/dental screenings, physicals, Immunizations, Health screening, Pediatric assessment, and family planning.
- Oglethorpe County, 305 Union Point Rd, Lexington, Georgia 30648. Dial (706) 743-8181 for intake.
- Morgan County Health Department, 2005 South Main Street, Madison, GA 30650, (706) 752-1266
- Oconee County, 1060 Experiment Station Road, Watkinsville, Georgia 30677, dial (706) 769-3983
- Barrow County Health Department, 233 East Broad Street, Winder, GA 30680, (770) 307-3011
- Elbert County Health Department, 618 Jones Street, Elberton, Georgia 30635, (706) 283-3775
- Greene County Public Health Department, 1031 Appalachee Road, Greensboro, GA 30642, (706) 453-7561
- Jackson County, 623 South Elm Street, Commerce, GA 30529, dial (706) 335-3895 for more information
- Madison County Health Department, 1424 Hwy 98 W, Danielsville, Georgia 30633, telephone (706) 795-2131
MedLink - Offers free medical care for families, including the indigent. Receive Chronic disease management, Laboratory tests and EKGs, preventive health screenings, treatment for Acute health problems, and referrals as needed.
- Oglethorpe County, 247 Union Point Street, Lexington, Georgia 30648, main phone (706) 743-8171
- Winder County, 122 West Athens St., Winder, GA 30680, dial (770) 867-6633
- Bowman County, 206 East Church Street, Bowman, Georgia 30624, telephone (706) 245-7361
Teen Matters offers free basic health care, education, and pregnancy counseling for teenagers. (706) 795-2506
TenderCare Community Health Center provides variable rate billing for medical care. Assistance offered includes family practice, child health, obstetrical care, free dental care, pharmaceuticals, hypertension management, laboratory & radiology, diabetic care, immunizations, and newborn & well baby care. Other services may be available too. 803 S. Main Street, Greensboro, Georgia 30642, telephone number is (706) 453-1201
Health Source of Oconee provides Chiropractic care for children and adults, general health screenings and also pre-natal care. Main number is (770) 725-9188.