Nassau County New York emergency assistance.

Several different social services and emergency assistance programs are available in Nassau County New York. Each resource will have conditions that need to be met by applicants, and the programs will tend to only offer help to qualified low income individuals who have no other options. Get details on programs, and information on how to apply below.

Nassau County Emergency Assistance Program – A crisis that needs to be addressed immediately may fall into this category. Some examples of an emergency situation that may be addressed include:

  • Families that need food or groceries as they have run out.
  • If you are being faced with eviction, emergency rental assistance may be provided.
  • Homeless can get help, including case management and security deposits.
  • If you have run out of heating oil or fuel, apply for financial assistance for paying winter heating bills.
  • Families faced with their utilities being shut-off, customers with a 72-hour disconnect notice, or Nassau families who are about to have their electric shut-off.
  • Victims of domestic violence can receive assistance. If you or someone in your family has been abused, beaten, or threatened with violence by a partner, whether or a husband or a wife, you may qualify for social services.

Nassau County Public Assistance / Family Assistance (FA) - Needy families with a child in the home, and who qualify for federal government Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) guidelines, may qualify for emergency assistance. The New York Family Assistance program provides adults in Nassau County with cash benefits for a total of 60 months. In order to receive financial help for bills and basic needs, the applicant must be working or involved in work-like activities within two years. Various social services can help income qualified families with children.

Individuals in Nassau County can apply for Emergency Assistance to Adults (EAA). This resource provides grants and cash assistance to individuals who receive public assistance including Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Funds can help people deal with emergency situations such as homelessness prevention, utility bills or fuel emergencies, medical emergencies, or other items of need.





Emergency Assistance to Families – This program, known as EAF for short, provides financial assistance, social services and cash grants to low income families to help them deal with emergency situations that are not foreseen, unexpected, not of their doing, and beyond their control. Some of the bills and expenses that can be paid for include rent to prevent homelessness, fuel needs, food, and utility shut offs. As the name indicates, this resource is focused on families with children, so the applying household must have a minor child and the applicant must have exhausted all other options available to them.

The program of very last resort is the Emergency Safety Net Assistance (E-SNA). Anyone who is not qualified for recurring public and government assistance benefits, such as EAA or EAF, may be able to get financial assistance for paying bills from this resource. The applying family or individual must have an emergency need and not have enough income or other resources to meet the emergency situation. There are income limits that need to be met by applicants.

If you do not qualify for the FA program referenced above, then another option may be the government run Safety Net Assistance (SNA). It can provide assistance to families and individuals and the guidelines are not quite as strict.

Cash and financial benefits are provided for up to 24 months. After that period of time expires the government benefits may continue as non-cash payment, which means they will be paid out as a voucher or a vendor check.

The Safety Net Assistance program has been known to help those Nassau County New York people who are not qualified for other assistance programs. Some of those people who have benefited from the program include childless couples, single adults, families of persons abusing drugs or alcohol, children who are living apart from any adult relative, aliens who are eligible for temporary assistance and who are not eligible for federal reimbursement, and families of persons refusing drug/alcohol screening, assessment or treatment.




Safety Net can also help persons who have exceeded the 60-month limit on assistance that may be provided by other resources such as Family Assistance (FA). So individuals who have no other option and who need help for rent, food, and other bills may qualify for this social service program.

Call the Nassau County Department of Social Services, which is based in Uniondale, NY, at 516-227-8519 to learn more or apply for help.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy