Family Promise of Morris County assistance programs.
Dozens of congregations are part of Morris County Family Promise. The faith based charity focuses mostly on housing needs, ranging from shelter to grants for paying rent, heating bills or security deposits as part of homeless prevention. The churches that are part of the Network will also offer other support too, mostly in the form of free Christmas assistance or gifts from Adopt a Family.
The charity will not just solve basic, emergency needs. They try to prevent the recurrence of homelessness and/or poverty, and this is where resources such as the Community Support Programs (CSP) or free mentoring come into play. So whether the need is for financial help, food, or holiday support, Morris County Family Promise may be able to assist.
Housing and financial aid related programs
Homeless Prevention - These services may be available through either Family Promise or another community action agency in Morris County New Jersey, and include the following.
- Direct Rent and Security Deposit Assistance – HUD money may allow a grant for first month's rent, security deposit, or eviction avoidance (so back rent).
- Housing Counseling as well as overall Financial Mentoring.
- Free Voucher as part of a Hotel/Motel Program – Family Promise or one of its partner churches will try to help at times when all local shelters are filled to capacity. The non-profit provides vouchers to pay for motels in lieu of temporary shelter for homeless families and vulnerable single adults, including single moms as well as victims of fire and domestic abuse.
- Landlord/Tenant Mediation to stop evictions.
- Applications to Water, Heating as well as Utility Bill Assistance.
- Get help in coordinating and accessing services to avoid eviction and homelessness as well as locate permanent housing in Morris County.
The Family Promise Case Management Team works with eligible clients to resolve emergencies – such as foreclosure, fire, court-ordered eviction, reduced income from a change in employment or a medical emergency. The goal is to help people avoid either possible or actual homelessness.
Beds, meals, clothing and other aid is from the Morris County Family Promise emergency shelter. The center offers an option to the homeless that is safe and secure. There are even beds dedicated to veterans as well as homeless teenagers. The kids can watch TV, get help with homework, and guests are also give free hot meals. Guests stay at different local congregations or churches in Morris County New Jersey.
They are also involved in Transitional Housing as part of Abigail House. Christ Church of Rockaway as well as partners run a few low cost apartments for the working poor. Whether it is a place to sleep, or access to case management, this can meet that need. Or find other temporary transitional housing programs.
Additional Family Promise resources in Morris County
Christmas Gifts Donation Program is only for current shelter guests or people in the Community Support Program (CSP). Family Promise receives contributions from several community members and area businesses. All of these groups are committed to helping help low-income, needy families enjoy the holiday season, regardless of their religion. Worry is taken away from working poor parents as the program provides free Christmas gifts or hot meals to their children, making the season a happy and joyous one for the clients.
- Contributions come from all over including churches in Morris County, charities, and employers.
- Morris County Family Promise partners with civic organizations, churches, faith-based groups and schools, all of which often provide Christmas gift donations.
For interested parties, the application process, interview and distribution of gifts is run by Family Promise. Any assistance is first come and served. Proof of income, residency, number of children, and more is required when registering.
Morris County Family Promise coordinates tutoring, mentoring, and general advice as part of Community Support Program (CSP). This is for low-income families, the homeless in the shelter and high school students who need assistance. It is a volunteer based service, and this is especially true of mentoring.
CSP Workshops are arranged that can assist with college-prep, ACT and SAT readiness, coursework, ESL classes, and the written driver's license examination. There are debt reduction classes, classes on saving money and opening savings accounts, and much more. There is also tutoring for remedial instruction in reading and math for students of all ages.
Some of the resources also go by the name of Our Promise. It is comprehensive case management. Morris County Family Promise will also, as part of this, link clients to cold weather shelters, medical or dental care, affordable housing, and dozens of other resources.
Family Promise of Morris County is located in the city of Morristown, NJ 07962. Call 973-998-0820.