latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rental assistance in Montana.

There are several programs as well as agencies across Montana that provide rental assistance. They can offer both long term support from section 8 vouchers as well as emergency help. What may be provided to an income qualified family includes a grant to help with rent, information on eviction prevention services from legal aid, and even temporary housing or security deposit help. Those solutions, and others noted below, may all be combined into solutions that allow tenants to receive assistance with their rent.

When a family needs to move, or if they are homeless, there are also security deposit programs in Montana. These focus on paying for up-front moving costs. Not only may a portion of the deposit be paid, but there may also be funds for paying first month's rent on a new apartment, money for lease applications fees and more. A combination of loans as well as grants are used in Montana for these housing costs.

Often when a resident of Montana needs help with paying their rent, they are in need of support for other housing needs. Applicants should also be sure to ask about other programs. As there may be everything from energy or heating bill help to rental programs that focus on single mothers, the disabled, or low to moderate income seniors citizens.

Each agency in Montana will have their own terms and conditions in place for families that apply for rent help. Not only that, the funding is always limited. However even if one of the many charities, non-profits, or government offices can't assist, they may have referrals to other emergency rental assistance programs. Always inquire with one of the case managers. If the programs below can’t help, then find other ideas on where to get rent help.

Human Resource Development Council
Address is 7 North 31st Street
Billings, Montana 59101
For information, call 800-433-1411
They operate the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) program. Other resources for paying rent or even utility bills include General Relief, Rapid Re-Housing and Homeless Prevention as well as the Rural Section 8 HUD Voucher Program.

There are federal government grants issued to people waiting on Supplemental Security Income/Social Security Disability (SSI/SSDI), funds for individuals with pay or quit notices, and other scenarios covered. Most of the rental assistance is focused on Yellowstone County, but other referrals may be given.




Action For Eastern Montana works out of an office at 608 North Merriamin Miles City. The agency runs the Section 8 Rental Assistance program as well. This is similar to above in that it focuses on families in or near poverty. Clients to the service need to pay up to 30% of their income for their rental costs as well, so they need to contribute. The zip code is 59301, or dial 1-800-227-0703.

Gods Love Shelter-Emergency
533 N. Main
Helena, MT 59601
Main phone - (406) 443-6007
They support the homeless in Montana. There are free meals, clothing, laundry, and counseling. Clients can be referred to transitional housing programs and also get help in applying for rental assistance (after they are stable).

Salvation Army – Missoula - Among the programs available include the Winter Shelter. This keeps people out of the cold Montana weather. There is also mortgage assistance, grants to pay lot rent or costs of a trailer, and much more. Dial 406-549-0710. Client to this Missoula County church based group need to prove the ability to pay future rent on their own. The address is 55 South Russell, Missoula, Montana 59801.

Good Samaritan
Address: 3067 North Montana Avenue
Helena, MT 59601
Many financial aid programs are offered from the Assistance Ministry. There is everything from funds to pay for gasoline or car repairs to utility bills as well as direct housing costs. This ranges from rent to mortgages, shelter, and even free furniture. A focus of the charity is on stopping homelessness, and one time rent help is a focus of that.

Salvation Army in Montana
They offer emergency services. This includes everything from rent help to dental care, free furniture for a new home, and more. Other housing programs in include shelter or lodging, motel vouchers, and utility help (which is often combined with rental grants).

  • Havre Center is at 322 3rd Street, Havre, Montana 59501. Phone - 406-265-6411
  • The Helenea area is also supported. The address is 905 Henderson Street, Helena, MT 59624, or call 406-442-8244.

Legal Aid Miles City - The Montana Legal Services Association (MLSA) operates statewide. They offer free legal aid as well as representation in civil cases only. There is support from attorneys for people disputing security deposits or clients with an eviction letter. Other support includes referrals to pro bono attorneys and other paralegal type providers. Apply online.





Family Services, Inc.
Address is 824 First Avenue North
Billings, MT 59101
The non-profit works to prevent evictions of low income tenants. There is rental assistance for the working poor or families facing homelessness. They assist families in an effort to also ensure they have heat for their home. Past due energy bills and rent can be paid, often by issuing no-interest loans to clients.

Action for Eastern Montana focuses assisting homeowners with mortgages or tenants seeking to buy instead of lease. There is advice for first time buyers in Montana and low-income elderly homeowners. Dial 406-377-3564. They may also refer the client to a local charity that can help with rent.

Yellowstone AIDS Project
2906 lst Avenue North, Suite 200
Billings, MT 59101
They operate the Housing Opportunities For Persons With Aids, which is a federal government supported HUD service. It provides short and long term, subsidized financial assistance for paying rent, mortgages, as well as security deposits.

District IX Human Resource Development Council runs the Section 8 Housing Rental Assistance Program. It focuses on helping very low income elderly, single parents and disabled persons. There may be emergency housing for homeless, such as shelter. Other aid include rent deposit help and transitional housing. The agency is at 2 South Tracy, Bozeman, Montana 59715, or dial 406.585.4879 for intake.

Lake County Housing Assistance Office – The agency operates affordable apartments and houses that are rent subsidized. They also partner with the City of Ronan Housing Authority on this service, which may also include foreclosure counseling, loans, and emergency financial aid to pay rent to a private landlord. Call 406-676-5900 for information.

Human Resource Development Council
1801 S. Higgins
Missoula, Montana 59801
Telephone: 406-728-3710
This non-profit only supports Missoula County. Interim Assistance Program can help the disabled while they wait on cash aid. There is rent assistance, referrals to local community agencies or churches, and case management. Anyone seeking rent help needs to meet the guidelines set by the Office of Public Assistance (OPA).





Community Hope, Inc. is based at 204 Cedar Ave. in Laurel, Montana 59044. They offer free money assistance for paying utilities or rent. Vouchers may be issued for motels or other costs, such as gas. The community programs help rehouse the homeless and offer rental assistance when there are no other options available (provided funding exists). There are also household items for people in need. Phone : 406-628-7281.

Self Help Law - Any Montana family, no matter their income, can use this service. They can go over tenant legal rights and landlord responsibilities. Housing needs are covered too, and it helps people find help in solving legal problems on their own. Self-Help is for anyone that cannot afford a lawyer or if they just flat out decide not to pay for one. The location is 15 South 16th Avenue, Bozeman, MT 59715, or dial 406-582-2158.

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page