Free Christmas and holiday assistance Montana.
Many of the charities in Montana operate free seasonal programs, including at Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other times of the year. Find everything from free toys to games, Christmas presents, food baskets, and holiday meals may be served. Find information below on Angel Tree, Adopt a Family, Toys for Tots and other holiday programs in MT.
The organizations that offer help during the holidays also offer other assistance programs during the year. So the Montana agencies operate year round, however the resources listed below do focus on providing additional support at Christmas. Anyone applying for a free toy for their child will be able to request a certain gift, depending on availability. There may be items such as Legos, clothes, Barbie Dolls, video or board games, sporting equipment and more. When it comes to the availability of a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal, those programs really depend on volunteers to cook and serve them.
Each year thousands of struggling as well as working poor families in Montana get help at the holidays, whether free Christmas toys, Thanksgiving dinners or holiday food boxes. Their children can be given a free Christmas toy or winter attire, or someone living on a fixed income (such as senior citizen or the disabled) are also key participants. The goal is to help the low income, lonely, and less fortunate experience joy.
Salvation Army Social Services in MT
Most of the Salvation Army centers provide help during the holidays. There is everything from Adopt a Family for free Christmas toys, clothes or food to Thanksgiving dinners, Easter baskets and more. There are multiple Salvation Army locations that provide assistance to the low-income, elderly or kids.
- Salvation Army of Missoula - 355 South Russell, Missoula, MT 59801. Call 406-549-0710. Many services are run. Amount them include free food from a pantry, hygiene products, clothes, and more. There are also vouchers and Christmas programs, such as Angel Tree. Children can be given toys, boots, holiday presents and more. The Salvation Army also serves holiday meals and provide financial aid.
- Billings Salvation Army Angel Tree Program - 2100 6th Ave N, Billings, MT 59101. Dial (406) 245-4659. The goal is to help parents act as “Santa Clause” by providing presents to their kids. There is help for the unemployed, single moms, and others that are struggling. People donate to the service, and they give games, tablets, electronics, and other goods. Children applying need to be under the age of 14.
- Kalispell Salvation Army Center - Main address is 110 Bountiful Drive, Kalispell, MT 59901. Main phone: 406-257-4357 / The two programs are Toy n' Joy and Adopt-A-Family programs.
- Bozeman Salvation Army Annual Christmas Program - Address: 32 South Rouse, Bozeman, Montana 59715. Phone - 406-586-5813. Several services are run by this Christmas church based charity. There are small gifts brought to shelters and hospitals for the sick and ill. Other programs in Montana include free Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, presents for kids and teens, clothing for winter, and toys for low income families.
- There are many other locations throughout the state for free help during the holidays, groceries for a meal and more. Locate Salvation Army programs in MT.
Toys for Tots in Montana
The United States Marine Corps works with local charities, non-profits, and volunteers across the state. The goal is to help ensure children and teenagers (under the age of 17) can get Christmas gifts. Toys for Tots provides new toys (for free) including books, games, clothes, electronics, tablets, video games, trucks, dolls, and countless other items. Toys for Tots gifts given to kids rely on what was donated. Find places to apply in Missouri, by county. https://toysfortots.org/request_toys/toys-city-county.aspx?txtState=MONTANA
Area IX Agency on Aging – Hats and Mittens Project
Location is 40 11th St W STE 100, Kalispell, MT 59901. Telephone number is 406-758-5712
This is for both Headstart as well as elementary school children that live in the Flathead Valley area of Montana. There are free hams, turkeys, and other meals served during the holiday season. This is for local families.
Hope and the Holidays MT
Call the Santa Helpline at 406-451-5312
They offer support across the counties of Broadwater, Gallatin, Jefferson, Madison, Park, and Sweetgrass to kids, single mothers and people in need. Corporations, individuals and other donate to the service. There may be free Christmas toys from kids age 0 to 16. Get games, shoes, books, and more. The
United Way Volunteer Center
1203 US-2, Kalispell, MT 59901. Dial (406) 752-7266
Hope for the Holidays offers food baskets, presents, and other items to low income parents for their children. The homebound can also inquire into holiday meal deliveries. Another United Way non-profit for Montana is in Bozeman, Montana 59715, and the phone number is 406-451-5312.
District XII Human Resource Council – Butte
25 W. Silver street
Butte, Montana 59701
Telephone number is 406-533-6885
The Mining City Christmas program provide holiday help to single mothers, families with young children, the disabled, and senior citizens. There may be Christmas gifts, meals, food baskets, turkeys, ham, and more.
Coats For Kids, Inc.
8 First Street East, Suite 205, Kalispell, Montana 59901. Dial 406-752-1522
The Montana program is not necessarily focused on Christmas, but rather the winter in general. There is free winter wear given, such as boots, hats, gloves, and more. Much of what is available is donated by churches.
Family Services, Inc.
3927 1st Ave S, Billings, MT 59101. Dial 406-259-2269
The Adopt-A-Family program runs during the holiday season. Businesses, individuals, and churches can donate to a struggling family or one that is living in poverty. They then provide when they for Christmas, such as presents, toys, games, educational supplies, and other gifts. Thanksgiving and Christmas food baskets may also be offered. A Thanksgiving Day dinner is served. Transportation to the meal service may be arranged.
MSU operates an Angel Tree Program
It is a limited Christmas assistance program focused on family members/kids of facility members. It is run in partnership with groups such as TRIO/Student Support Service. To Donate, or apply, dial (406) 247-3028 or (406) 896-5817. Or learn more on Angel Tree applications.
Additional referrals and holiday programs.
There are several organizations that also try to help the less fortunate. These programs are offered in most years, based on donation levels. The main sites are below. Call 211 for more details.
- Kiwanis Club of Hamilton - Families need to apply at Office of Public Assistance or Haven House. Christmas baskets and stockings may have food, toys, and more. Phone – 363-2164.
- Rotary Club Of Whitefish - Whitefish, MT 59937. Phone – 406-270-2760. The Magic of Christmas Program only supports struggling households in the immediate area.
- Share the Spirit Holiday Assistance Program - Polson, Montana 59860, Main phone - 406-883-1676. This is an Adopt a Family/Angel Tree program. But it relies on Share the Spirit tags. Children can request clothing, toys, tablets, electronics, and other Christmas gifts, and they may be given to the applicant. It runs in Lake County.
- Marine Corps League, Flathead Valley District 634 - 41 Fourth Avenue West, Kalispell, MT 59901. Call 406-257-1077 for information. Toys for Tots is a donation service. The organization collects new, unwrapped toys from the public. The gifts are then given to kids from low income and working poor families, if qualified.