latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rent assistance Middlesex County Massachusetts.

Find details on rental assistance programs that help Lowell, Newton, Cambridge, Somerset and low-income Middlesex County Massachusetts families. Charities, churches and government agencies provide grants or vouchers to help pay housing costs, including security deposits on an apartment. Get details on rent payment assistance near you in Middlesex County MA.

Additional programs include section 8 housing choice vouchers as well as free lawyers for tenants and state landlord/tenant mediation services. Find information on the places to call to apply for help paying back rent, moving or deposit costs and utility connection fees or to get a free motel voucher for a room for the night. Most agencies will have their own application process and criteria that need to be met. Funding will also be limited. However organizations is committed to helping the low income, elderly, single mothers and disabled pay rental expenses.

The services may be able to help tenants pay their rent and remain in their home or apartment. Other programs will include legal advice to stop an eviction or grants for security deposits as well as low income, no wait list housing. Find the best places to call for rental assistance or homeless housing in all of Middlesex County, including Cambridge, Lowell, Lawrence, and the surrounding towns and communities. Find other resources for help finding a home or apartment.

Organizations that help with rent in Middlesex County MA

Salvation Army social services in Middlesex County
There are multiple locations of the charity. There is immediate, same day rent assistance when available. Or get transitional housing in Middlesex County MA, free hotel vouchers, or money to pay for storage costs or a security deposit.

  • Salvation Army - Cambridge Corps. This local branch of the Salvation Army provides services that include rent payment assistance to Cambridge area residents and tenants facing an eviction. They also offer help for other bills, such as utility, furniture for an apartment, shelter, and low income housing. The address is 402 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139. Phone number (617) 547-3400
  • Lawrence community housing programs - Address - 250 Haverhill Street, Lawrence, Massachusetts 01840. Phone number - (978) 682-8038. Limited financial support, shelters, and transitional housing programs may be available.




  • Salem Salvation Army - Branch office location - 93 North Street, Salem, Massachusetts 01970. Call (978) 744-5181 for information on rental programs.
  • Lowell Financial Help from Salvation Army - Address - 150 Appleton Street, Lowell, Massachusetts 01853. Call for rent help - (978) 458-3396. The location has emergency financial assistance and one time rent help. Immigrants and single moms or dads can get help too. One of the counties leading non-profit charity type organizations.
  • Framingham Salvation Army. Call them for access to a furniture bank, rent or housing assistance, and other financial aid. The location supports the western suburbs of Boston. 350 Union Ave, Framingham, MA 01702 Phone number: (508) 875-3341
  • EFSP, Waltham Corps. Salvation Army. This serves the area west of Boston. The EFSP Salvation Army program and services can provide information on rental assistance programs, storage units or hotel vouchers and mortgage help. The center also has resources including general rent, electric and gas bill payment assistance. Site address is 33 Myrtle Street, Waltham, Massachusetts. Call (781) 894-0413

Community Teamwork, Inc.
Location of the site - 155 Merrimack St, Lowell, MA 01852. Dial - (978) 459-0551
This non-profit offers both housing and heating bill assistance to qualified low income, elderly, and/or disabled Lowell area residents. There are ESG grants for rent or housing, free tenant counseling services for northern Middlesex County and information on income-based homes. More on Community Teamwork assistance programs Lowell MA.

South Middlesex Opportunity Council (SMOC) – Apply for rental assistance vouchers which may be able to allow families to lease a home or apartment in the private market. They will then be able to apply a voucher or subsidy to paying a portion of their expenses. This is similar to the Section 8 housing program in Massachusetts, however it is formally known as SMOC Rental Assistance Programs. Address -  7 Bishop St, Framingham, MA 01702. Call  (508) 872-4853.

Merrimack Valley Catholic Charities
Location - 70 Lawrence Street, Lowell, Massachusetts 01852. Phone number - (978) 452-1421
Catholic Charities is a great place to call for help. Oftentimes they may have limited funds to help pay rent or deposits. They cover the northern Middlesex County Massachusetts region.





Merrimack Valley Catholic Charities is a community service center of Catholic Charities, Archdiocese of Boston. MVCC serves the entire Merrimack Valley region through a wide-range of services with primary service sites in Lowell, Lawrence. The church can often provide other services and resources too, such as low income housing, food, no interest loans and general referrals. People of all backgrounds and religions can apply, with a focus on immigrants and migrant workers, single moms who need rent help and women facing DV.

North Shore Community Action
Address - 98 Main Street, Peabody, Massachusetts 01960. Phone number - (978) 531-0767
Community action agencies in the county are committed to helping the working poor and unemployed get back on their feet. So they may have some short term government grant money for rent help and housing assistance. At the same time they offer longer term solutions, such as help finding a job, counseling, and referrals to low-income apartments.

Temple Emmanual
7 Haggetts  Pond Rd,  Andover,  MA 01810. Dial - (978) 470-1356
People of the Jewish faith will get rent help, housing, case management and other services.

All Saints Church, part of the Saint Vincent de Paul organization
Address - 120 Bellevue Avenue, Haverhill, MA 01832. Dial for assistance - (978) 372-7721
The local Middlesex County Massachusetts SVDP church has basic needs, including vouchers, one time rent assistance, grant money and more.

Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless
73 Buffum St, Lynn, MA 01902. Phone number - (781) 595-7570
Provides referrals to federal and state of Massachusetts government assistance programs. They also partner with local charities and non-profits for stopping evictions and issuing financial aid for rent arrears.

Lowell Wish Project
Location - 1 Foundry Industrial Park, Lowell, Massachusetts 01852. Call (978) 441-9474 for free items for a home or an apartment or rental help
Need a referral from a Middlesex County Massachusetts case worker in order to apply for assistance. To those that meet conditions and qualify, they provide assistance to the homeless and other low income individuals.





Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) is offered statewide, including in cities such as Cambridge, Waltham, Lowell and the county. Free government hardship grants help pay for and last month’s rent on a new, affordable home or apartment.

Or get financial help to stop an eviction or free legal aid as well as access to an attorney for a court summons. RAFT can provide, when qualified, up to several thousand dollars of emergency rent help issued in a matter of days. Middlesex County tenants (or the homeless) can dial 617-425-6700 for details.

Natick Service Council administers their own limited Financial Assistance Program for town residents. Among the services offered as part of this program include Eviction Prevention Services,. There is also emergency utility help for low-income renters as well as other financial help. The program is run from 2 Webster St, Natick, MA 01760. Phone -     (508) 655-1791

City of Everett runs the EFSP program out of the Mayor's Office of Human Services. This emergency, crisis program may be able to provide mortgage or rent payment assistance, and grants for energy bills. They work closely with both local and federal government housing authorities and other non-profit rent assistance programs. The center is a great place to call for information or referrals. Location - 90 Chelsea Street, Everett, MA, 02149. Phone number (617) 394-2260.

Middlesex County Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing is a HUD funded program. It is intended to offer rent help for stopping evictions in the community and placing families into new homes. The program may provide grants for rental expenses or security deposits, motel vouchers for single moms with children, money for moving costs, and other support. Find more on Middlesex County Massachusetts eviction help.

Housing Authorities - Middlesex County MA
A number of programs are offered. They include section 8 housing choice vouchers (HUD), as well as an emergency voucher program. They have information on income-based apartments, public housing, and self-sufficiency. Or get help moving into a section 8 approved home.

  • 110  Pond Street, Waltham, MA 02451. Call (781)894-3357
  • 350 Moody Street, Lowell MA, 01854. Phone - (978)937-3500
  • 362 Green Street, Cambridge, MA 02139. Telephone - (617)864-3020
  • 1 John J. Brady Drive, Framingham MA, 01702. Call (508)879-7562
  • 27 Charter Street, Salem MA, 01970. Phone: (978)744-4432

Tri-City Community Action Program is based in Malden. Dial (781) 321-1159. The community action agency can offer referrals to working poor families, seniors, and the disabled adults. Clients may get information on section 8 or grants for back rent and housing needs. The non-profit runs the local Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program, which offers a limited amount of grant help to pay rent, security deposits, and other housing services. The address is 115 Washington St, Malden, MA 02148.

Town Emergency Funds - Some local municipalities offer financial aid or low interest loans for their residents. The money can be used for rental costs to prevent an eviction or help with heating bills or a mortgage. Other advice is given too. In Wayland dial (508) 358-3624, Ashland call (508) 881-0140, and there is a program in Melrose as well as other cities.







Free tenant lawyers in Middlesex County and Legal Services - Lawyers will help resolve disputes. They can also mediate payment plans for deposit or rent payments, offer legal aid to keep the power on, and resolve disputes across Middlessex County. Low-income renters as well as senior citizens can meet with an attorney for free on their housing issues, Telephone - (617) 371-1234.

Somerville Catholic Charities – As with other Catholic charity organizations, this too is a great place to call for help. Low income families as well as senior citizens or migrants can receive free advice as well as financial aid. The location is a community service center of Catholic Charities, Archdiocese of Boston. This location provides direct service and limited financial assistance for rent and bills in Dorchester at the Yawkey Center, in Somerville. Location 270 Washington Street, Somerville. Call (617) 625-1920.

Support Services for Veteran Families of Middlesex County has many programs. There is grant money for rent, hardship funds for utilities, budgeting, and security deposit help. Both veterans and their families, as well as homeless vets, will get help, including details on government benefits. Call 617-371-1800 for details on SSVF.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page