latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Energy Bill Assistance

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescription Drugs

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Paying Bills

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Mercer County assistance programs.

Food, utility, housing and heating assistance

The Bluefield Union Mission offers a variety of assistance to local residents. They offer help for paying utility bills, as well as heating bills.

Project W.A.R.M., or Winter Assistance and Relief Program, is the winter heating program offered through the Bluefield Union Mission. Government organizations, private donors and others contribute to help families with heating their homes through the winter months based on family need. This particular heating  program starts After Dec. 1 when the cold winter months approach. The Bluefield Union Mission can be contacted at (304) 327-8167.

In addition to the Union mentioned above, the Bluefield Housing Authority can provides the low income in the community with rental and housing assistance and counseling. Many people can apply for help, including the disabled, elderly, handicapped, and others who are struggling. Dial (304) 325-9653 to speak to the Bluefield West Virginia non-profit.

Trinity United Methodist Church is a local church that provides people with assistance for paying rent, heating bills and utilities, rent, and funds for paying for medicines and prescriptions. In order to apply for help, low income individuals need to have a referral from DHHR or Salvation Army in Mercer County West Virginia. (304) 327-7448

An agency to contact in the Princeton area is the Appalachian Charity Funds. Talk to a counselor to get help with paying utilities, prescription medication, dentures, and other expenses. All aid is for the low to moderate income in the community. Call (304) 487-3324

Catholic Community Services can be contacted at most once per year. Apply for help preventing Utility Terminations every six months, and get a maximum of $35.00. In addition free food vouchers are available every six months for up to $20.00. (304) 425-4306





Receive health care from Mercer Health Right Inc. Call (304) 327-2410. Patients of the clinic need to have no health or dental insurance coverage for medical services and meet federal poverty guidelines based on number of household members and their total income. Also find how to access dental care from clinics.

The local Community Action of South Eastern WV is always a great resource for any type of financial assistance. They can direct people to  food banks, energy assistance such as LIHEAP, weatherization, and even debt and credit counseling programs. Those are just samplings of some of the services and resources offered. Call (304) 327-3506.

CASEWV is the community action agency of Southwestern Virginia. The non-profit works with those facing poverty, the unemployed and others in an effort to offer short term support and self-sufficiency. They also work closely with the Appalachian Area Agency on Aging. Some of their services are as follows.

  • Seniors in Mercer County are a focus. Free meals, activities at senior centers, and counseling are just a few examples of the programs offered.
  • Referrals from Family Assistance - This may also offer case management, information on financial aid for paying rent or security deposits, and LIHEAP utility bill assistance.
  • Early Head Start/Head Start and job training - This is available in Princeton and other nearby towns and cities.

Several other social services and resources are available. Case managers can help the low income, seniors, and disabled in the region. More on Community Action of Southeastern West Virginia programs.




Sacred Heart Catholic Church, which is located in Bluefield but also serves Princeton, runs a food pantry and offers utility assistance. They also direct people to West Virginia utility assistance programs.

Princeton West Virginia Salvation Army runs a free food pantry, however a referral is needed from the local DHHR in your area if you are receiving Food Stamps. They also have an on site Thrift Store; offer emergency financial assistance with paying utilities and heating bills, rest; housing for transients, and prescription medications. (304) 425-2971


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy


Search Site