Livingston County assistance programs

Find a listing of charities, non-profits, and assistance programs in Livingston County and Geneseo New York that can help residents pay rent, utility bills, provide free food, and foreclosure assistance.

Empire Justice Center - Provides free legal assistance to low income individuals. Some of the legal aid and programs offered include predatory lending, mortgage advice, rent-to-own, fair debt collection, eviction prevention programs, credit report issues, foreclosure prevention. A sampling of the other legal aid provided include housing, employment, government programs, disability and civil rights, public benefits and much more. Call (585) 454-4060, or find other New York legal programs.

Catholic Charities Of Livingston County, which is based in Mount Morris and can be reached at (585) 658-4466, runs a food pantry and can provide information on financial assistance programs. Stop by to pick up free food and groceries, and learn about ways to get help with heating and energy bills.

Livingston County Department of Social Services - This may be the main agency to call for help with bills, expenses, and other financial support. The programs offered include:

  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program - The program provides energy and heating bill assistance (natural gas, fuel oil, kerosene, liquid petroleum gas, wood, electricity) to the working poor and low-income families who meet eligibility guidelines and who are under 60 years of age as well.
  • Temporary assistance - The government agency may be able to provide limited amounts of financial support to individuals and families in financial need with bills, housing, and more.




  • Information - While the department can’t help everyone, they can usually provide at minimum advice. Social Services provides information and referral service to all of Geneseo and Livingston County residents. On site counselors can help individuals and families find resources to meet and pay for their needs either within the Department of Social Services or elsewhere in the local county or community.
  • Other programs - Also get information on the food stamp program, pantries, government foreclosure and mortgage programs, rent assistance from federal government, and more.

Call the Livingston County Department of Social Services at (585)243-7300.


Conesus/Webster's Crossing Food Pantry run an emergency food cupboard. Call (585) 346-5573





By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy