latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Search the site

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money





Rental programs in Waukegan and Lake County Illinois

Get help with rent payments as well as other housing needs from agencies across Lake County. Charities, churches and government organizations can be turned to in time of need. A number of emergency rental, security deposit and affordable housing programs are in the region. Tenants be able to get cash grants, financial assistance to help with past due rent or short term loans for low income people.

The financial aid from churches, charities, or the government is for families or individuals who are in the process of obtaining safe/affordable housing or apartments in the greater Lake County Illinois region. Services are focused on those tenants who can handle the monthly rental payments on their own over the long term. However maybe these individuals need a little short term financial help in order to pay the security deposits or first month's rent, such as from an unexpected emergency or impact to the household cash flow. In these cases there may be assistance for utilities, rent, and maybe moving costs.

The county, working with these agencies, may be able to provide assistance for qualified people (including the elderly, single moms or veterans) that are in the process of being evicted. It doesn’t matter whether they are being evicted for valid reason, or wrongfully, but agencies may be able to help in either case. A host of programs attempt to prevent possible homelessness and eviction by providing landlord/tenant mediation services, including free legal advice.

In addition to preventing an eviction, a number of shelter and transitional housing resources are offered in Lake County Illinois. Services can provide homeless people with a short term, temporary place to stay. They may distribute free vouchers for paying for motels or hotels too. Assistance is usually offered for a short period of time. The homeless may also be able to eventually qualify for rental subsidies, security deposits, hotel vouchers, emergency food and clothing, and other aid as part of case management or social services.

Catholic Charities offers a program known as HP - DCEO. The address is 671 S. Lewis Ave, Waukegan, Illinois 60085. Telephone number - (847) 782-4000. The charity administers programs that may make emergency rental payments for people who are at risk of eviction and homelessness without assistance. The charity may have income, age, disability, need or various other eligibility requirements in order to get financial help for bills, rent, or other costs. One of the nations leading charity organizations.

Salvation Army of Waukegan is located at 850 S. Green Bay Rd. Shelters, referrals to financial aid (including funds for rent), motel vouchers and more is available. Telephone: 847-336-1880. There are also other locations, and more on Salvation Army rent help in Lake County.




Lake County Haven is an agency that has a shelter only. The only services available are the Transitional Shelter and Housing Program for homeless women. Call (847) 680-5408 for details.

Lake County Townships - They focus only on residents in the town. The general assistance programs may offer government grants to pay rent, utility bills, or mortgages. Each town has their own regulations in place, but they can often assist with security deposit or rent on housing, auto repair, health and medication needs, and other bills. Transitional housing programs are administered as well

Residents can call their local town office for emergency help. A goal is to prevent homelessness and evictions as well as utility disconnections. Towns may offer loans or grants to pay back rent or a mortgage. Or get heating bill help, placement into a homeless shelter, or other rental and/or housing assistance.

  • The Fremont Township is (847) 223-2847.
  • Antioch also has general aid, dial (847) 395-3378, or try another municipality.
  • Warren - 17801 West Washington Street, Gurnee, IL 60031, (847) 244-1101 x103
  • Libertyville - 359 Merrill Court, Libertyville, Illinois 60048, phone (847) 816-6800
  • Shields - 906 West Muir Avenue, Lake Bluff, IL 60044. Dial (847) 234-0802
  • Other towns also help. Call the government where the tenant or homeless person lives.

Lake County Housing Authority - Location is 33928 N. Rte. 45, Grayslake, Illinois 60030. They operate various low income housing assistance programs. There are section 8 HUD vouchers, rent subsidized homes or apartments, public housing units, and other resources. The main clients are families in poverty, senior citizens and the disabled in Lake County, who often get housing choice vouchers and/or rent help. These are income based housing programs. Call (847) 223-1170

Community Action Partnership of Lake County may have occasional rent or housing grants from the Emergency Food and Shelter Program or ESG grant services. Other aid may be loans for paying rent, referrals, and government benefits such as HUD vouchers from section 8. Dial (847) 249-4330, or the location is 2424 Washington St, Waukegan, IL 60085.





SVDP (St. Vincent de Paul) covers Lake County as well. While based in Gurnee, Illinois 60031, the address is confidential/mobile. There may be emergency help with rental payments, motel or motel rooms and other bills. A goal is on client stability, and access to housing is key. Call (847) 347-0832.

Eviction help and rapid rehousing is available using federal government grants. Funds may help pay back rent or a security deposit. Utility costs (such as heating bills) can also be covered in Lake County Illinois. The LCCH coalition is closely involved in offering rent and legal help as part of this process, and more on Lake County homeless prevention.

Maristella – Runs housing and programs strictly for women and children. The main site is at 1600 W. Park Avenue, Libertyville, IL 60048, call (847) 367-5360. Other services include Housing Counseling, Money Management, Homeless Motel Vouchers, and Rental Deposit Assistance.

  • A second office is located at 745 North Milwaukee Avenue, Libertyville, Illinois 60048, call (847) 367-5360.

Lake County VAC - Veterans Assistance Commission has an office address of 501 North Riverside Drive, Gurnee, IL 60031. They only help veterans and/or immediate family members. Call 847-377-3344. The government office provides emergency or long term financial help to veterans. Get grants to help pay rent, storage costs, moving expenses, mortgages, security deposits, energy bills and/or other housing costs. Free furniture, food, and other resources too. There is also the SSVF program on site.

  • Veterans Path to Hope is another application site for SSVF. There is everything from mortgage to rent help, job programs, furniture and other items at 805 South McHenry Avenue, Crystal Lake, Illinois 60014. Telephone is (815) 321-4673.

Zion Township / Emergency Assistance – People faced with a crisis in this town may be able to receive a limited amount of rental assistance, if they meet stringent criteria. Address of the town office that runs emergency assistance is 1015 27th Street, Zion, Illinois 60099, telephone (847) 872-2811. A general assistance program is offered too, as well as referrals and other aid.

A SAFE PLACE - RISE Program only helps survivors of abuse. Limited financial help to establish housing, so money for first months rent or a security deposit. Legal aid, case management, and basic needs can be arraged too. The main office is 5455 Grand Avenue, Gurnee, IL 60031. Call (847) 282-0543

Barrington Area Council on Aging can offer housing and rent solutions for seniors and the elderly. Location is 6000 Garland Lane, Barrington, Illinois 60010, dial (847) 381-5030.





Prairie State Legal Services – Offers legal aid to help tenant deal with evictions, learn rights on unsafe housing conditions, and similar support. The address is 325 Washington St, Waukegan, IL 60085, call ((847) 662-6925. Can help people navigate the various federal and state of Illinois public assistance programs. The goal is to negotiate a compromise between a landlord and the individual.

  • Fair Housing Center of Lake County works with Prairie State Legal Services. Together they may have free legal aid and support for preventing evictions. Or get referrals to rental and housing programs, including E.F.S.P.


By Jon McNamara


Additional Local Programs












Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site