Kings County California assistance programs.
Emergency help for bills, expenses, rent, utilities
Proteus Inc., which is based in Hanford but serves all of King County, provides low income and the needy with one time cash assistance. They provide funds for rent, utility and energy bills. This help is only available once per year. They also run a career and job finding service, to help people find new jobs or employment. They also run programs that help people conserve energy and lower their utility bills. Phone number (559) 582-9253.
One of the primary non-profits in the area is the California King County Salvation Army ((559) 582-4434). They administer numerous assistance programs and resources for low income individuals as well as struggling people who need assistance. Some of the programs offered include:
- Provides rent, energy bills and/or mortgage assistance as funding is available for those in need.
- Food boxes and free groceries to those in need.
- Short term rental assistance from the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing grant program. Click here to learn more.
- Provides financial assistance and cash grants to Hanford residents who are on the verge of getting their utility, electric, water, or gas services shut off or disconnected.
- Basic needs, including Christmas toys from Angel, vouchers for clothing, and school supplies in Kings County.
- Refers people to both federal and state programs, as well as other local charities
- Other resources can also be arranged, and find details on the Salvation Army in Kings County.
Another option is St. Brigid Catholic Church. Call them at (559) 582-2533. The church provides electric bill assistance to those in need as funding allows, and can also refer people to places to pick up food. Many other social services are run by the charity and its team of volunteers, and find more information on help from St. Brigid Catholic Church.
Free foreclosure counseling
A HUD approved foreclosure and mortgage assistance agency is Self-Help Enterprises. Call them at (888) 412-0828. Dedicated housing and mortgage counselors will work with homeowners to allow the homeowners to make good choices and provide them with options. The goal is help people make it through a difficult period and to save their home. They also may be able to provide foreclosure mediation services. Click here to learn more on mediation.
Emergency services from the Kings Community Action Organization, Inc.
This local non-profit agency runs several programs for individuals and families in Hanford and all throughout King County. They may be able to provide short term assistance and grants for paying bills and debts, and at the same time offer longer term solutions.
- Help with utility bills from Low income housing energy assistance program (LHEAP) - This federal government funded program provides low income individuals with cash grants to pay utility bills, and to avert a disconnection.
- Weatherization - Save energy from Glass replacement, Caulking, Low-flow showerheads, CFL bulbs and much more.
- Energy Efficient appliances - This services includes Replacement of freezers and refrigerators (10 years old or older) as well as the Repair or replacement of Furnaces and heating systems.
- Utility, Water, Gas Bill Assistance - Money can be provided up to once every two years to eligible families based on eligibility or when disconnection is eminent.
- Food - On an emergency basis, food is provided on a daily basis to needy families by referral system.
- Head start, child and day care, and other programs for children
- Legal assistance - Free legal advice for foreclosures, civil cases, and other concerns. Click here to learn more.
Call the Kings Community Action Organization, Inc. at (559) 582-4386.
Senior citizen financial assistance
Senior citizens can contact Kings Commission on Aging. This non-profit charity agency provides one-time only emergency financial assistance to help seniors citizens pay bills and expenses. Services paid for by the agency include rent/mortgage payment assistance, utility and heating bill assistance, free food vouchers, and motel or hotel vouchers. Phone (559) 582-3211.
Health care and dental clinics
Some of the clinics through King County California that may be able to offer primary medical and dental care on a sliding scale fee include. They can help with basic needs, including physicals, immunizations, medical care for children, information on Medi-Cal, and more. Some even are involved in national pharmaceutical assistance programs.
- Family HealthCare Network - (559) 587-4532
- Valley Family Health Centers - (559) 582-2025
- Kings Community Health Center - (559) 924-7005