Kentucky WinterCare fund.

The WinterCare program is sponsored by utility and gas companies across Kentucky. Grants and credits can be issued to qualified families that need help. The program was created to assist those in need with paying their heating bills during the winter months.

Utility companies such as Duke Energy, Kentucky Utilities, and others encourage customer to apply for it. It is administered across the region and the state by your local non-profit community action agency. Other charities and groups will often have information on it, such as the Salvation Army or Catholic Charities. Staff from these organizations can help individuals apply for the program or direct them to intake sites.

The amount of financial aid provided by WinterCare is limited. One of the key reasons being that is that it depends on donations from the community, including businesses and individuals. Utility and gas companies will also generally contribute to the program on an annual basis or they may make matching grants.

In order to apply for assistance, call a non-profit as indicated. Qualified customers will receive a one-time payment from WinterCare during the year as long as funding is available. The best place to call to apply is a community action agency. However several cities in Kentucky, such as Louisville, have Neighborhood Centers that operate in the region. These locations may also accept and process applications. Or as indicated try a local Salvation Army center or other non-profit for information or referrals. Lastly, a customer can always contact their energy company.

Contributions are always needed and appreciated. In order to make a donation and if you would like to share the warmth with those that are less fortunate in your community, any donations can be made in one of two ways. People may decide to add a donation to their monthly utility bill. Most monthly bills, including those from Duke Energy, have a special notation on it in the upper right-hand corner that people can use to notate their WinterCare donation. Individuals can make a one-time or recurring donation.




Another way to contribute is to mail in a donation. Check with your community action agency or energy provider for the address in your community. Any funds that people contribute will be tax deductible and make a difference in the lives of someone that is less fortunate. Many of the Kentucky residents that benefit are seniors, families with young children, or the disabled.

For Duke customers, if they have additional questions about making a contribution to WinterCare or maybe need a referral to an application site, they can dial 1-800-544-6900.

While as indicated people can call their local community action agency to apply, some of the primary Neighborhood Centers are listed below. These locations can also accept and process applications.

  • Boone County Neighborhood Center, 6555 Nicholas Street Suite, A2, Florence, Kentucky 41042, call 859/586-9250
  • Campbell County Neighborhood Center, 437 West Ninth Street, Newport, KY 41071, dial 859/431-4177
  • Carroll County Neighborhood Center, 1302 Highland Avenue, Carrollton, Kentucky 41008, call 502/732-5253
  • Fayette, Bourbon, Harrison, and Nicholas Counties, Community Action Council, 710 W High St. Lexington, call (859) 233-4600
  • Gallatin County Neighborhood Center, 432 W. Main Street, Warsaw, KY 41095, main phone number is 859/567-4660
  • Grant County Neighborhood Center, 134 North Main Street, Williamstown, Kentucky 41097, 859/824-4768
  • Jefferson County, Louisville Metro Community Action Partnership, 810 Barret Ave, Louisville, KY, 40204, phone (502) 574-1157
  • Kenton County Neighborhood Center, 315 East 15th Street, Covington, KY 41011, telephone 859/291-8607
  • Owen County Neighborhood Center, 109 South Madison, Owenton, KY 40359, dial 502/484-2116
  • Pendleton County Neighborhood Center, 311 Park Street, Falmouth, Kentucky 41040, telephone 859/654-4054



“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy