Kent, Queen Anne's, Talbot, Somerset, Worcester assistance programs.
Find information on how to get assistance with bills, rent, and other aid in Kent, Queen Anne's, Talbot, Somerset, and Worcester County Maryland. Various agencies and non-profits provide support and resources to people who need help.
Shore Up!, Inc. is the community action agency that serves all of these local communities. They administer several different assistance programs for the low income. Services offered include:
- Emergency financial assistance - Services offered by this particular program include both mortgage and rental assistance, medical and prescription assistance, as well as free food and clothing.
- Foreclosure and housing counseling - After you have bought a home, speak to a counselor to learn about foreclosure prevention and various housing programs.
- Weatherization and home repairs - Gain access to energy saving weatherization programs as well as grants and assistance to make minor home repairs. Weatherization can help people save hundreds of dollars per year on their home heating and energy bills.
- The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) - Soup kitchens and local food pantries provide aid to the low income.
- Various other low income programs are offered as well, such as Head Start, information on how to apply for WIC, transportation, and senior support centers and programs.
- Office of Employment and Training from Shore Up addresses employment and educational needs, such as GED training.
- Low income housing for senior citizens, loans for paying rent to move in, and other support is part of Loretta Village.
Call Shore Up!, Inc. in Salisbury Maryland at (410) 749-1142, or click here more information
Community Church at Ocean Pines (Berlin Maryland (410) 641-5433) runs several programs. Among them include a food pantry, a clothing closet, and they also offer limited emergency financial assistance is available for eviction prevention programs, heating and utility turnoffs and prescription expense assistance.
Salisbury Urban Ministries. Programs supported include grants for rent if faced with an eviction, money to pay for prescriptions, fuel and heating oil, water bills, and security deposits. A soup kitchen and food bank is also on site. (410) 749-1563
Joseph House Crisis Center offers services that include holiday meals and gift baskets (such as Thanksgiving and Christmas). If you get a referral from the Salvation Army, they may have financial assistance to pay for housing expenses and energy bills. Free food and groceries are also distributed. Call (410) 749-4239
The Salvation Army helps the low income in all of the counties including Somerset, Wicomico, and Worcester Maryland. While funding is limited, they may be able to offer up to $60 per year to help pay for prescriptions, heating bills and utilities or rent when funds are available. Emergency food and a thrift store is also offered and is located on site. The main office is in Salisbury, but the agency supports all counties. Dial 410-749-7771.
Seton Center, Catholic Charities (Princess Anne (410) 651-9608) offers some or all of the following. Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing provides emergency rent help. A thrift store that sells low cost goods, a food bank, and other programs are run.
Neighborhood Service Center, Talbot County - The non-profit provides limited financial assistance, free food and heating and utility bill assistance to needy low income residents of Talbot County. They can provide up to 6 months of rent subsidies. A food pantry helps the needy. Other aid offered includes holiday meals and gift baskets, such as Christmas and Thanksgiving.
The service center focuses just on residents of Talbot County, but they can provide in some cases government grants for rental expenses in order to stop homelessness. Another focus is on assisting the elderly and senior citizens in the service area. Easton Maryland. (410) 822-5015, or learn more.
Department of Social Services - Each of these counties has one. They may offer SNAP food stamps, limited housing support, free food, government health insurance and medical care, and other aid.
Consumer Credit Counseling can provide homeowners with information on mortgage programs. Also get help reducing medical and other debts, such as credit cards. (301) 459-8766
Health Care and Community Clinics. The following health care centers may offer the low income and uninsured medical care on a so called sliding fee scale. Snow Hill Primary Care (Snow Hill Maryland (410) 632-0892). Ocean Pines Primary Care (Berlin (410) 641-8585). Village of Hope (Salisbury Maryland (410) 860-4803).
Visions of Mercy Food Pantry. Provides free food once every 30 days. (410) 742-6206
The Community Food Pantry, which is located in Chestertown and can be reached at 410- 778-0550, offers free groceries and food in an emergency.