latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Search the site

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money





Assistance programs Island and San Juan County

Financial assistance programs help low-income families in Island and San Juan County. Get grant money to help pay rent or utility bills, free food or medical care as well as other social services from charities, non-profits and the government. Locate financial help near you in San Juan and Island County.

Community action grant money to help with bills

The Island and San Juan County Opportunity Council offers a number of services for the low income and people faced with poverty. Short term financial help as well as hardship grants are offered at the same time that an individual will be working with a social worker or case manager for longer term support.

  • Transitional housing or homeless shelter is offered, along with related support services for families. The housing facilities and units in San Juan and Island Counties include both short-term (30-60 days) and transitional housing. (1-2 years). Emergency assistance may be provided if a local family or individual has no other options and all other rental and housing programs are exhausted.  Participants also need to agree to case management.
  • Emergency rental assistance to prevent an eviction. The community action agency may be able to help people with an eviction notice. If you have received an eviction notice from your landlord and are at risk of becoming homeless, some resources may be made available to address the crisis. Click here for additional information on rent help programs.
  • Free stuff, essential products and household needs – This includes help, money and vouchers with obtaining cleaning supplies (such as laundry and dish soap), bus passes or tickets, samples and personal health and hygiene items (such as toothpaste, shampoo, toilet paper). These items can be provided through certificates, gift cards, samples or vouchers. Get a sample for free.
  • Moving costs, security deposits and first month’s rent – Financial assistance is available to individuals and families who are transitioning from homelessness to stable, permanent housing.




  • Income based apartments - A subsidy for paying rent and no-wait list housing may be available for one month. Several factors need to be looked at, including the family’s income, apartments offered from prive Landlords in Island County, number of household members, and their commitment to receive counseling from a Client Services Representative.
  • Early Head Start and Head Start are both offered for children from low income families in Island and San Juan. The program was created to meet the needs of pregnant women, toddlers, infants and their families. Services offered by Head Start include family development support, education and support for expectant parents, health and nutrition services, group socialization and home visits focusing on quality early education and child development.
  • Work First Employment Programs - Offers job training and skill development as an avenue to part time and ideally full time jobs for state of Washington TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) recipients. This benefit also helps single people too, and look here for cash benefits for low income single person.
  • Provides utility and electric bill assistance to people in Island or San Juan County who are within certain poverty guidelines or less. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) can help renters or low income homeowners with their heating and electric bills. Money can also pay for heating or cooling system repair costs. Households qualifying for LIHEAP can receive up to $1000 for paying their primary heat source and bills. Grants for utilities assistance is offered too, however this is limited to electricity, utility deposits, natural gas, sewer, water, and garbage expenses and bills
  • Provides government commodities and supplemental food and groceries for members of the community in need.





  • Weatherization provides low income families with energy saving and conservation measures to local homeowners and their dwellings. This will include air sealing, insulation, venting, and anything else to help make the home more energy efficient. Upgrades can include indoor air quality, health and safety testing; low-flow shower heads and hot water tank wrap; broken window and glass replacement; extra insulation of pipes, ceiling, walls, floors, and ducts; and air sealing.
  • Home improvement programs for the disabled and seniors can include mobile home repairs; handicap accessibility; new roofs or repairs; and health and safety improvements.
  • Financial Literacy and Renter Education (F.L.A.R.E.) - This will help families learn how to save money, budget, improve credit, and address other financial education skills. Read more Washington credit counseling.
  • School Supply Bank - Donations from the community can help children acquire school supplies if they are in very low-income families or are homeless.

The Opportunity Council community action agency is located at 625 Cornwall Ave, Bellingham, WA 98225. Or dial (360) 734-5121. All of the services listed above are administered by this organization. Read more on e Opportunity Council.

DSHS - Community Services Offices - Island County is located at 275 SE Pioneer Way, Suite 201, Oak Harbor, WA, 98277. The phone number is (877) 501-2233, and the programs and services administered are below.

  • Pregnancy Care Services - Financial and cash assistance for pregnant women whose income is at or below 185% of the Federal Government Poverty Level and who can’t qualify for TANF.
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF/WorkFirst) - Families with minor children can receive medical bill assistance and grants.  Pregnant and parenting minors may be eligible for government aid from TANF if they meet established eligibility requirements.
  • Emergency Assistance can be provided for income qualified individuals for certain expenses, such as rent help, utility bills such as electric, heating, and gas, eviction prevention, and security deposits. If someone has an eviction notice or imminent utility shut off, or if they are homeless, they may more likely to qualify. AREN payments can also be made, and it can be up to $750.
  • Aged Blind and Disabled is financial assistance for people who are blind, with a disability, or who are age 65 or older.
  • Diversion Cash Assistance is another cash grant program that is intended to stop people from having to enroll in public or government assistance. Money can pay for housing, rent, transportation, child care, food and employment-related expenses. Staff from the DCS may also refer to other social service programs in San Juan or Island County. This can include food pantries, domestic violence services, and clothing banks.
  • Refugee Cash Assistance can be paid to qualified families for their first eight months.




Gifts from the Heart Food Bank runs a pantry for anyone in the community of Coupeville and Greenbank. During the Christmas and Thanksgiving season they distribute food baskets and meals. There are also free year round groceries and hygiene stuff given out. The location is 203 N Main St, Coupeville, WA 98239. Phone: (360) 672-5502

Island County Housing Resource Center helps homeless people, seniors, the low income and disabled. There is grant money to help with rent as well as deposit assistance. Or get funds for storage or money to pay a power bills. There is also a Housing Provider Network in the region, and the location is 1 NE 7th Street, Coupeville, WA 98239. Dial 360-678-2346 or 360-678-7880

Whidbey Food Bank is another local pantry. Call the Langley center at (360) 221 - 6454. There is also a thrift store. Get free or low cost clothes, furniture, appliances and other stuff. The location is 2812 Grimm Rd, Langley, WA 98260.

My Sisters Closet gives free items to adults and kids. Get school supplies for students, uniforms (for adults at work or students), free winter coats and more. Small household furniture items, beds, lines and more are passed out too. The location is 1036 SE Pioneer Way #101, Oak Harbor, WA 98277. Call (360) 720-2755

North Whidbey Help House is a USDA commodities distribution site and a local food bank. Address is 1091 SE Hathaway St, Oak Harbor, Washington, 98277, call (360) 675 - 0681

Stanwood Camano Food Bank is also a government surplus food distribution site. Call (360) 629 - 2789 for intake.

Island County residents - There are many other agencies in the area that offer services. Families can call upon a pantry for free groceries or meals, and the department of social services can offer cash assistance or applications to government aid. Or learn about housing and educational services. Find more on Island County assistance programs.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara


Additional Local Programs












Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site