latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Eviction and homeless prevention or rehousing Indiana.

Families facing eviction in Indiana will receive rent help in a crisis from the Emergency Solutions Grant, or ESG program. Rapid rehousing ill help the homeless, and there will be be funds to pay for a security deposit, moving costs, or even utility bills, if that could be the cause of an eviction or homelessness. Free Indiana lawyers also help tenants and homeowners. Find eviction help for tenants and homeless prevention programs in Indiana.

Government agencies, non-profits, and charities will help. The Indiana agencies process applications and administer the eviction prevention and rapid rehousing program. This resource was created by the federal government Housing and Urban Development Department (HUD) in effort to both stop future homelessness and rehouse those families that need a place to live. Each and every year federal government grants are issued to a wide variety of non-profits in an effort to address the housing crisis in Indiana.

Financial help to stop evictions and homelessness in Indiana

ESG is a fairly unique housing program in that it provides direct financial assistance to tenants facing eviction for a variety of expenses. In addition, the agencies that administer this throughout Indiana also offer case management services and other support in an effort to assist those who are struggling. If an applicant is currently homeless, grants can also be used to an effort to quickly re-house and stabilize the individual. Other uses of the government funding can include to operate shelters or for the creation of case management services.

While funding is limited, potential financial assistance to qualified low income applicants includes some or all of the following. The non-profits may have short-term rental assistance, housing relocation, and loans or funds to pay a security deposit. However other financial aid as well as general case management services is also administered.

In fact, any funds for paying rent from homeless prevention in Indiana will mandate self-sufficiency. The non-profits or administering agency need the tenant to get back on track with their own housing needs so they are not evicted again, whether it is increase income or take other pro-active steps. But there are many resources available, and find additional information on rent help.




There will also be housing stabilization services offered by case managers. This can include budgeting classes, credit repair, assistance in job searches and much more. If the applicant is facing eviction due to unpaid electric or water bills, then grants may be issued for utility bill payment assistance.

Various income and other conditions are in place. There may also be priority given to those who are considered most at risk, such as veterans, the disabled, or families with young children in Indiana. Unfortunately only a small fraction of applications can be satisfied by the state.

Low income housing is also part of stabilization. Federal government and state of Indiana subsidies can be used to help pay for apartments, Section 8 vouchers may be offered in partnership with HUD, and other aid. Seniors, the disabled, and low income single mothers are a focus for section 8 housing choice vouchers in Indiana.

Indiana moving and rehousing programs for the homeless

Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing in Indiana will also include relocation. For example, in some cases, a renter is living in an apartment or home that they can no longer reasonably expect to pay the rent on. Maybe they had a mid to long term reduction in income or a partner who is no longer employed. In either case, if the client has an eviction notice, then there may be funds to help pay the rent on, and to relocate them into a more affordable and sustainable home.

As indicated, Rapid Re-Housing Assistance is also available to the homeless. This may be provided either from Continuum of Care or the Emergency Solutions Grant program. This assistance is available for persons who are considered to be homeless according to HUD's definition. This can include those that are living in a shelter, sleeping in a car or the streets, or even someone that is moving out of transitional housing. Rehousing is also offered in Indiana for those fleeing from a domestic violence situation.

Federal and state of Indiana grant money will also help homeless people. This can be a short term “bridge” for not only housing needs, but also to start to save for moving, a deposit, employment and other rehousing resources. The free government money is for people of all ages, backgrounds and races. More on free government money for homeless.





As part of this component, participants will partner with a case manager on finding a low income apartment or home to move into. Then the non-profit may issue some form of financing (either a loan or maybe cash assistance) to pay for rent, an application fee, and/or deposit. This type of rehousing tends to only be for families that are well on the way to financial stability.

Local eviction, homeless prevention and security deposit assistance in Indiana

There are local programs, charities and government assistance programs listed below for each county and town in Indiana. However the major counties and cities also help low income tenants, homeowners, and the homeless with housing. Find more government grants, loans local attorneys, and other services below by county.

Allen County

Lake County

Marion County

Non-profit contacts for eviction help in Indiana

Counties - Adams, Blackford, Huntington, Jay, Randolph, and Wells
Community and Family Services will help low-income families, renters and the homeless who are close to being evicted or need a place to live. Call (260) 726-9318

Counties of Cass, Howard, Miami, Tipton and Wabash
Area Five Agency on Aging & Community Services. Dial (574) 722-4451

Counties of Bartholomew, Brown, Decatur, Jackson, Johnson, Shelby
Human Services provides homeless prevention and rapid rehousing programs. Call (812) 372-8407

Counties - Carroll, Clinton, Tippecanoe, White.
Community Action can be reached at  (765) 447-7683

Crawford, Perry, and Spencer County.
Call LHDC - Lincoln Hills Development Corporation at (812) 547-3435.

Counties - Daviess, Greene, Knox, or Sullivan
Pace Community Action Agency, Inc. phone number is (812) 882-7927




Delaware, Hancock, Henry, or Rush County
The non-profit Interlocal Community Action Program (ICAP) will help tenants, the homeless and homeowners in Indiana. Call (765) 529-4403.

Counties - Elkhart, Fulton, Kosciusko, Marshall, and St. Joseph.
Dial REAL Services, Inc. Telephone - (574) 233-8205.

Central Indiana region of Grant or Madison.
Dial (317) 638-4232 or (765) 641-6504

Dubois, Pike, Warrick County.
Tri-Cap community action. Call (812) 482-2233.

East Central Indiana region of Fayette, Union, Wayne.
Community Action of East Central Indiana. The address is 1845 W Main St, Richmond, IN 47374. Dial (765) 966-7733.

Evansville & Vanderburgh region, including Gibson, Posey, Vanderburgh, Warrick
Community Action Program of Evansville. Call (812) 425-4241.

Indianapolis region, including Boone, Hamilton, Hendricks, and Marion County
The non-profit Community Action of Greater Indianapolis, Inc. will be able to help. Call (317) 396-1800. Non-profits may offer emergency one time rental assistance as the result of government grants. There may also be free motel vouchers for the homeless among other resources.

Northeast Indiana region of Allen, DeKalb, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, and Whitley County
Brightpoint will help the low-income with grants, assist tenants with an eviction notice and help people acces housing. (260) 423-3546

Counties of Lawrence, Martin, Orange, and Washington
Hoosier Uplands Economic Development Corporation is at 1 College Hill St, Paoli, IN 47454. Call (812) 849-4457.

North Central region, including LaPorte, Pulaski, and Starke County
North Central Community Action Agencies. Call (219) 872-0351.

Northwest Indiana counties of Jasper, Lake, Newton, and Porter.
Homelkess prevention and rehousing will be arranged by Northwest Indiana Community Action. (219) 794-1829. Eviction assistance is available from a network of non-profits and government agencies.







Ohio Valley region and counties of Jefferson, Jennings, or Scott.
Ohio Valley Opportunities is the leading non-profit. Call (812) 265-5858

South Central region including Brown, Monroe, Morgan, or Owen.
South Central Community Action Program. Call (812) 339-3447. Case managers can assist families facing homelessness.

Southeastern Indiana counties of Dearborn, Franklin, Ohio, Ripley, Switzerland.
SIEOC is based at 110 Importing St, Aurora, IN 47001. Call (812) 926-1585.

Southern Indiana region of Clarke, Floyd, and Harrison.
Community Action of Southern Indiana. Dial (812) 288-6451.

Western counties including Benton, Fountain, Montgomery, Parke, Vermillion, and Warren
Community Action Program of Western IN. Dial (765) 793-4881.

Western region of Indiana counties of Clay, Putnam, or Vigo.
Western Indiana Community Action Agency provides eviction help, counseling, rehousing and applications to ESG grants. Low-income families and the homeless will get help. The address is 705 S 5th St, Terre Haute, IN 47802. Dial (812) 232-1264.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site