Alpena, Huron, and Gratiot Michigan assistance programs.
Salvation Army - Locations are in both Gratiot County (989) 358-2769. The main office is in Alma Michigan (989) 463-2864. Another location is also in Alpena County Michigan. (989) 358-2769
- Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing - Offers emergency financial assistance with rent, and applicants need referrals from DHS, EightCAP, churches and other agencies in order to apply.
- Energy bills - Get help with paying heating and fuel bills and avoiding shut offs.
- Food pantry - It is located on site and distributes free food, groceries, and other commodities.
- Holiday assistance - Christmas baskets provide meals and gifts, and Thanksgiving meals are available too.
- Many other social and family services are offered too. More on Gratiot County area Salvation Army programs.
Blue Water CIL - Assistance is offered for people with disabilities. Access housing and rental assistance programs to assist with offering individuals emergency shelter, transitional housing, supportive housing, and emergency rent payments. Bad Axe MI. (989) 269-5421
Huron County Homeless Coalition, which is also located in Bad Axe (989) 269-9502), provides emergency financial assistance with paying for rent, mortgage help, rental security deposit, emergency motel stays and other homeless related needs and prevention services.
Amazing Grace Helping Hands Outreach - While funding is limited, when possible they can offer financial helps with paying rent. Wheeler Michigan based. Dial (989) 842-5813
The community action agency of Gratiot is EightCap Inc. Several resources and services offered include money for paying heating and utility bills. Free tax filings are done by well trained volunteers and professionals. Food is distributed by an on site food bank and pantry. Low income individuals can also apply for the government programs of Medicaid and Head Start at this location.
The non-profit EightCap is also a source of information on financial aid for various bills. Most of them are government funded, such as LIHEAP, but there are also referrals to loan services, credit unions, and other lenders in the region. Call (989) 463-5693, or more on EightCap programs.
Northeast Michigan Community Service Agency, Inc. offers the following services and resources. Homeless Prevention Program is a grant program that provides funds for security deposits, first month's rent, rental and utility arrearage payments. The Utility Bill Assistance Program provides assistance with paying heat and utility emergency needs. Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) distributes food on a quarterly basis to the poor and needy. Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) is another food program for people faced with malnutrition. The NE community action agency also runs the local Head Start program, which may be able to provide access to social service, health/dental care, nutrition, mental health, and disability services to participating families and individuals. (989) 356-3474. Read more.
Huron County is served by Human Development Commission. Among assistance offered include emergency aid for people facing disconnection of heat or electrical services or eviction from their home. In addition, there is often assistance with deliverable fuels and heating oil as well, such as propane and fuel oil. Foreclosure Prevention is offered by the non-profit, and the organization offers free, confidential foreclosure prevention counseling and advice to educate homeowners and assist them with various foreclosure prevention options and tactics. Weatherization is intended to reduce energy usage and therefore lower a clients monthly utility bills. Other resources include senior programs and aging services, which provides services to older adults. Nutrition Programs also are on site and include various food programs serving children, adults, and seniors in the region. Call (989) 673-4121, or find more details.
Shelters and transitional housing units are located in northern and eastern Michigan, including counties such as Aplena and Huron. The sites will provide families a place to stay, offer access to self-sufficiency, and other social services. Several non-profits, churches and charities offer the housing support in the region. This may include information on programs o pay a deposit too. More.
Receive free food, groceries, clothing, and similar aid (all of which is so called non-financial) from the following locations and organization in the Northeastern area of Michigan.
- Alma Twin Cities Seventh Day Adventist Church (Alma Michigan (989) 463-4512) - Offers and distributes free food up to once per month to the needy.
- United Methodist Church of Breckenridge offers food up to 6 times per year. (989) 842-3632
- Sacred Heart Church Shared Blessings Food Pantry - This is the local church providing a food pantry and food bank, as well as personal supplies to residents of Huron County Michigan.
- Caseville Community Pantry (989) 582-0126) - Offers food to low income Americans.
A local community health/dental clinic is the Thumb Rural Health Network of Bad Axe. This public health care center and clinic can provides free primary dental and health care offering access to preventive care for the low income and uninsured. (989) 269-9721