Free hospital grants for union members.
Union members and their immediate families can receive up to $1,000 in free cash grants. the funds are used to assist in paying for medical bills, including large, out-of-pocket hospital expenses. Your spouse, children, and parents may be eligible for this form of financial aid. Note that it only is available to households that have a person that works in an Union.
There are some additional requirements to receive these assistance. The grants are limited and most (if not all) of the following conditions need to be met. They include :
- Need to be a union member, a retiree, or a family member of a union member.
- The person receiving the grant must have been hospitalized within the last 12 months, and it must be your spouse, you or your dependent household member.
- In addition, you need to be a participant in at least one of the following union programs for at least one year and the account or policy you have must be in a good standing. You must be part of a Union Plus Credit Card, UnionSecure Insurance, or Union Plus Mortgage.
- The hospital bills and expenses must be significant, and your out-of-pocket hospital expenses (after any insurance payments) must be equal to or at least 10% of your total household income.
- There is a lifetime limit of up to one $1,000 hospital care grant per family.
Not all expenses are covered either. The grants from this Union based program will only pay for certain types of bills or medications. Those eligible hospital expenses include:
- You can only receive a grant to pay for those expenses from hospitalizations visits or costs associated with medical care that ended within the last 12 months.
- As mentioned above, assistance is based upon total expenses, and when you calculate your out-of-pocket hospital bills and costs, you may include any hospital charges, insurance deductibles, medications, physician charges, and other medical expenses. the program will help pay for all bills that may have been incurred during the hospitalization. As there are many ways to go about this process. Find how to negotiate medical as well as hospital bills
- You can’t include any hospital costs or expenses that were covered by your (or your spouse/dependent’s) health insurance plan or coverage.
- Grants will only be issued when un-reimbursed bills must total at least 10% of your total household’s gross income.
- Can’t include hospital bills and expenses from health care before or after the time of the hospitalization and medical visits.
The reason this program was created was to help Union members keep up with the ever increasing cost of medical care. With many employers starting to push more of these bills to the employee, and union contracts being renegotiated, it can be very challenging to keep up with needed services. The grant based aid, which may be up to $1000, can make a big difference in helping a family receive the care they need.
There is a toll free number to get more information. Dial 1-800-472-2005 to learn more. There are other forms of assistance available as well. Read how Union members can receive mortgage assistance and other help as well, and the phone number can direct callers to these programs. Union members have a wide variety of grant based programs available to them.