latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Kent County and Grand Rapids rent assistance.

Several assistance programs can help tenants pay their rent in Kent County and Grand Rapids Michigan. Emergency funds, crisis assistance, counseling, and other support is administered by non-profits, charities, churches, and a number of other organizations. The goal is to help prevent homelessness, so funds for rental assistance, security deposits, and other housing costs can be paid.

Information is listed below on the Grand Rapids area rent assistance programs and places to call or stop by at for help. Many of the services and programs focus on those low income individuals who have an eviction notice, however most people who need help can access some type of services, the least of which being counseling and referrals to local charities or government assistance programs. Most of the organizations strongly suggest that individuals or families in Kent County call for rent assistance before they fall behind.

GRACE (Grand Rapids Area Center for Ecumenism) - This agency is an independent, non-profit organization in the Grand Rapids area. Financial assistance programs, and other aid from GRACE, include offering assistance to working poor, low-income AIDS patients, and GRACE is also involved in raising money to fight hunger locally and globally, and promote social services in Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503-3210. Dial (616) 774-2042

ACSET, or Area Community Services, will provide rent support to migrant workers only that meet all qualifications in place. Grants may be used as a form of financial and the funds can be used to pay for rent, utilities, electric, housing, or other bills and housing related expenses.

In addition, as part of this outreach effort and the financial aid that is offered, volunteers are assigned as mentors to the low income individuals. They offer support and encouragement to those seeking emergency financial assistance with rent and housing expenses. Location 121 Franklin Street SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49507, call (616) 336-4004. More on Area Community Services.





Hispanic Center of Western Michigan: The non-profit helps Hispanics in the broader community with housing and other needs. The Hispanic Center of Western Michigan provides employment services, housing assistance, information on rent assistance, as well as information and referrals to local charities and also federal and Michigan government assistance programs. Address - 730 Grandville Ave. SW, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, telephone (616) 742-0200

Inner City Christian Federation: Helps develop stable communities and families. The three main programs and services focus on offering emergency housing, rent assistance, long-term affordable rental housing and home ownership opportunities education services. This may also include funds for a security deposit. ICCF strives to meet families where they are in their housing needs and help them avoid evictions. Location - 816 Madison Ave. SE Grand Rapids, MI 49507. Phone - (616) 336-9333

North Kent Community Services - The non-profit provides limited amounts of financial assistance for individuals who are having difficulties paying their rent, housing or utility bills. Location is 10075 Northland Drive, Rockford, Michigan 49341, phone (616) 866-3478

Kent County and Grand Rapids Salvation Army - The non-profit offers programs and services that can  assist families and individuals in need of emergency rent help, temporary housing, can provide support to families in trouble with paying bills or facing eviction, and ensure that the children of the community are provided for.





Resources offered by the Salvation Army include job counseling, mortgage assistance, family development and parenting classes. As resources allow, there are a variety of other shelter and emergency rent and housing programs. Address is 1215 East Fulton, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, phone (616) 459-3433

Grand Rapids Urban League - Call 616-245-2007. If you have an eviction notice, the agency may be able to provide some forms of funding to help with up to one months worth of rent. There is also on site shelter and other aid is offered too. Find more details on housing assistance from Grand Rapids Urban League.

All County Churches Emergency Support System - Over 300 churches across Kent County Michigan partner together to provide assistance, including rent, housing, and other aid, whether monetary or non-financial. Some low income families will be issued a loan as a form of emergency rental assistance from the churches. Grand Rapids, Michigan based.

The Magi is the name of an agency that can help deal with housing and other financial issues. They help in the distribution of money or goods to help the poor pay for food, rent, and help people find jobs, among other things. They can also direct individuals to state of Michigan and federal government assistance, such as Michigan section 8 housing. Byron Center, MI, dial (616) 272-4209

Kent County Coalition to End Homelessness, which is based in Grand Rapids, MI and can be reached at (616) 632-7400, runs the federal government funded Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program. It can pay rent up to 18 months in certain cases.

Community Rebuilders - Runs a housing/rent assistance program, that is funded by HUD. The primary goal is to help low income families and individuals who are homeless or on the verge of being evicted retain existing homes, or move directly into low income housing if no other options.

Any rental assistance paid is only on a short term basis with emphasis placed on supportive services to promote participant's increase in income and self sufficiency over the long term. Referrals to the Community Rebuilders program come from the Salvation Army Housing Assessment Program. Office is located at 1120 Monroe Avenue NW Suite 220, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. Dial (616) 454-5840

Kent County Department Of Veterans' Affairs - Apply for limited amounts of financial assistance for expenses, including rent and housing. Assistance is offered for honorably discharged wartime veterans and their widows/widowers or dependents. Get up to one month's rent payment to prevent a court ordered eviction, and clients can apply for grants and other support. Address 82 Ionia Avenue NW Suite 380, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, (616) 632-5722





Cedar Springs CAP - Programs include assistance in prevention an eviction eviction and mortgage/foreclosure assistance. Funds can pay for up to one month of rent or even a security deposit. Clients either must be facing eviction, on the verge of it, or behind on their housing payments. 4388 14 Mile Road, Rockford, MI 49341. Call (616) 863-9166.

Western Michigan Salvation Army -Various social services are administered, and for the most recent programs the address is That link will indicate whether any rent or other housing assistance may be available.
There are also two centers in the area, including 1215 E. Fulton Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503, phone: 616-459-9468. Another Salvation Army location is at  1120 Monroe NW Grand Rapids, MI 49503. Dial 616-454-5840.

Landlord/tenant dispute resolution and homeless assistance program is available for all people who are at risk of an eviction, or for those who are currently without a home or apartment. A referral service functions as the centralized intake in the community for all persons behind on their rent or utilities or those who are at the verge of eviction.

Work with a a counselor, for free, to create a plan to prevent homelessness or a plan for rapid re-housing. Learn about eviction prevention, rent assistance programs that may be available, shelters, and other emergency housing services and aid. They may be able to help with first months rent, security deposits, and rent arrearags. Telephone(616) 336-4001

Referral hotline provides homeless prevention to struggling families. A coalition in Kent County coordinates short term rent or energy bill help using HUD grants, they operate shelters, and other housing solutions. The HAP line can provide more information on where to apply at for money for rent and other expenses. More on eviction prevention in Kent County.

DHS in Kent County, which can be called at (616) 248-1000, can be contacted in a crisis. The government agency can direct families to rent programs, loans, and other assistance. They can help residents such as the disabled or seniors with accessing low income apartments as well.

Legal Aid of Kent County can address housing issues. They can provide advice on discrimination or help tenants with a pay or quit notice from their landlord. Other disputes over unpaid rent or the collection of deposits can be handled as well as part of free legal assistance provided. Telephone - (616) 774-0672.





Senior Neighbors - FEMA funds can be used to pay rent and mortgage expenses. Assistance is offered for first month's rent for older adults who are homeless or in the process of being evicted from their home or apartment. Address is 820 Monroe Avenue NW Suite 460, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503-1442. Call (616) 459-6019


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site