Free food pantries, meals, and groceries in Kern County.
Find free, emergency food assistance programs from pantries or soup kitchens in Bakersfield or Kern County. The centers can be located at churches, charities, and other non-profit organizations in the greater Bakersfield area as well as surrounding region. Struggling families can get free food or groceries near them today, personal hygiene supplies, applications to CalFresh food stamps and more from a pantry or soup kitchen.
Get details on the phone numbers to dial for free food pantries near you that offer groceries or meals. Find addresses, and resources offered, below as well as a toll free number at the bottom of the page. There is assistance for immigrants, migrants, and Spanish speakers as well.
The pantries can not only provide free or low cost food, groceries, and meals, but many Kern County locations also run special programs or provide referrals. For example, locations can offer residents access to a low income senior food assistance program, such as Meals on Wheels on a monthly basis. Other locations have soup kitchens that feed children, offer holiday meals, and provide summer snacks to students.
Some Kern County locations may also have items such as free baby formula, diapers, or offer summer meals for children when they are out of school. Food pantries and soup kitchens often serve free Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas meals as well to low income families. Social workers can oftentimes also refer people to government programs such as CalFresh or WIC or cash assistance in California for food.
CAPK - Feeding America and Community Action of Kern County
There are several non-profits, churches and charities that are part of this network. They pass out free groceries, baby formula, produce, canned items, meats, Ensure for the elderly and others. There may be paper products like toilet paper too. Note most of the free food pantries in the network are open only a few or several times per month. Call for hours. The main location is 1807 Feliz Dr, Bakersfield, CA 9330, dial (661) 398-4520. The grocery and meal distribution centers are below.
- Olive Branch Payee Service, 122 19th St, Bakersfield, CA 93301. Dial (661) 843-7885
- First Presbyterian Church, 1705 17th Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301. Call (661) 325-9419
- Agape Christian Center of Bakersfield, 411 Baker St Bakersfield, CA 93305. Main phone (661) 378-6428
- The Dream Center, 1801 19th St, Bakersfield, CA 93301. Main number is (661) 636-4488
- St. Joseph Catholic Church, 1515 Baker St, Bakersfield, CA 93305. Call (661) 327-2744
- Anchor of Hope Outreach Center, 926 8th Street, Bakersfield, California 93304
- San Clemente Mission Parish, 1305 Water St, Bakersfield, CA 93305. Telephone - (661) 871-9190
- Bakersfield Southside Seventh-day Adventist Church, 1330 3rd St, Bakersfield, CA 93304. Call (661) 323-5334
- Bakersfield Oildale Seventh-day Adventist Church, 612 Sharon Pl, Bakersfield, California 93308. Intake number is (661) 392-8582
- Coronado Baptist Church, 516 Norris Rd, Bakersfield, CA 93308. Call (661) 393-4098
- Iglesia De Dios Pentecostal MI, 5614 Woodmere Dr, Bakersfield, CA 93313. Phone - (661) 979-7984
- Bakersfield Christian Church - Iglesia Cristiana de Bakersfield, 3200 Bernard St, Bakersfield, CA 93306. Call : (661) 872-2783
- Iglesia Apostolica Vida Familiar, 4900 Mayfair Ct, Bakersfield, CA 93307
- Bread of Life Deliverance Ministries, 5880 District blvd, Bakersfield, CA 93313. Call (661) 869-0257
- Joy Church Bakersfield, 2408 Allen Rd, Bakersfield, California 93314. Call (661) 877-1569
- New Hope: A Place to Connect, 308 Harrison Street Taft California 93268. Call (661) 765-4572
- St Mary's Catholic Church, 110 E Woodrow St, Taft, CA 93268. Call (661) 765-4292
- Sequoia Christian Academy, 2029 Patton St, Delano, CA 93215. Dial (661) 721-2721
- Community Connections Center, 1842 Norwalk St, Delano, CA 93215. Call (661) 721-7036
- Garden Community Fellowship, 2931 Erskine Creek Rd, Lake Isabella, California 93240. Call (310) 489-1236
- Grace Chapel Church Food Pantry, 12312 Mountain Mesa Rd, Lake Isabella, CA 93240. Dial (760) 379-4093
- Our Lady-Lourdes Catholic Church, 9970 California City Blvd, California City, California 93505. Phone: (760) 373-2256
Shafter Healthy Start Collaborative Family Resource Center
300 North Valley Street, Shafter California 93263. Phone: 661-746-8690
Free Will Baptist Church
The free food bank is at 938 7th St, Wasco, CA 93280. Dial (661) 758-5906
Get items such as Cooking Oil, cereal, bread, Oatmeal, Pasta and more. There are meals for migrant workers as well as the homeless too.
Family Life Worship Center
501 W Perkins Ave, McFarland, CA 93250. Call (661) 565-0009
Taft Necessary Emergency Economic District Site
Address is 518 Main Street, Taft CA 93268. Phone: 661-763-4888
Whether information on SNAP food stamps (CalFresh) or a box of free canned groceries, there is assistance for the low-income, working poor, elderly and others.
United Church of Christ
Location is 21001 Conklin Boulevard, California City CA 93505. Phone: 760-373-2346
East Kern Family Resource Center
Address - 16804 CA-14, Mojave, CA 93501. Dial (661) 824-4118
The non-profit will give out free food, toiletries, eat (frozen or canned), laundry detergent, diapers (as available), vegetables (fresh or canned, and more. Seniors and the homebound can apply for Meals on Wheels too.
Oasis Family Resource Center
814 N. Norma St. Ridgecrest, California 93555. Call (760) 248-3221
Whether financial aid, free food for migrant farm workers in Kern County, non-perishable groceries or something else, help is offered.
Salvation Army has several other locations.
Social services, case management, food, and holiday meals and gifts may be offered. The Kern County location may also deliver meals to seniors or the disabled, and they can refer residents to the Angel Tree gift giving program. The free pantry can give out today, Filling, shelf-stable foods.
Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter Dinner are also provided. Food, meals, and work/school clothing. May have limited financial assistance for expenses such as rent or energy bills. The sites not only has a food pantry, but case managers can refer families living in poverty to CalFresh food stamp application sites. There may also be financial aid, free Christmas and Thanksgiving meals, as well as shelter and vouchers for school supplies.
- Lake Isabella CA 93240, Phone: (760) 379-5100
- 410 W. D St, Tehachapi California 93561, dial (661) 823-9508
- Salvation Army for the California City/Boron/Mojave region - 2230 Shasta St. (Corner Of K St), Mojave California 93501. Phone: (661) 824-2100. Offers basic needs such as clothing/shoes and a food pantry. Also administers a Fresh Rescue food program.
- 4417 Wilson Ave., Bakersfield CA 93309, (661) 837-4243 ext. 8414
- Community Center Frazier Park, Frazier Park CA 93225, 42600 Hwy 58, Buttonwillow CA 93206, call (661) 764-9405
- Rosamond Salvation Army, 81 C St., Rosamond CA 93560, Telephone: (661) 256-2307
- Ridgecrest Salvation Army is at 151 North Downs St., Ridgecrest CA, 93555. Phone (760) 375-7219. Offers emergency food from Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 11:00am.
- Salvation Army has another food pantry and soup kitchen at 4417 Wilson Road, Bakersfield, CA 93309. For hours, free food baskets, hygiene supplies call 661.325.8626.
- Find other details on Kern County Salvation Army assistance programs.
St. Mary of the Desert
Location is 3100 15th West Street, Rosamond CA 93560. Phone: 661-528-4145
City Church - Mojave Assembly of God
Address of food pantry 16027 M St., Mojave California, 93502. Telephone (661) 824-4287
The Mission at Kern County
Location is 816 E 21st St, Bakersfield, CA 93305. Call (661) 325-0863
The former Rescue Mission. There is free food or hygiene supplies. Or get items like toiletries, feminine goods, hot meals, and other programs. There is shelter for the homeless, holiday meals, hygiene items like soap and other assistance.
Gods Storehouse - Weldon United Methodist Church
20021 Hwy. 178, Weldon, California 93283. Dial (760) 378-2321
In addition to the regular pantry for the Kern County area, senior citizens and elderly can get additional food assistance, and clothing may be provided too. There may also be free basic needs like paper products, soap, detergent and household supplies. Get Boxed or Canned Soups, Rice, Canned vegetables, dairy and maybe baby formula for new parents.
Kern County Family Resource Centers
There are multiple locations. They give out free food or snacks. There may be holiday meals or parties, baby formula, after school activities and other services. Get WIC details, employment programs, child development and other help. Pantry may have soup, cereal, meats, dairy, and other products. More details on assistance from Kern County Family Resource Centers.
Catholic Social Services
825 Chester Ave., Bakersfield CA 93301. Telephone: (661) 281-2130
Clothing and food pantry are available on site. They also hold food drives and partner with Kern County stores such as Wal-Mart to feed the hungry. Immigrants, Spanish speakers, unemployed and other can get free food assistance or financial help. There may be items like vegetable mix, ingredients, baby formula, peanut butter, instant milk, bread and more.
1600 East Truxtun
Bakersfield, CA 93305
Kern County Department of Human Services (DHS)
There are multiple locations. Low income families (or those in poverty) can apply for SNAP emergency food stamps (CalFresh). There are USDA commodities, cheese, free school lunch or breakfast applications, and other hunger prevention. Or apply for cash aid for bills.
- 1816 Cecil Ave., Delano, CA 93315, Telephone 661.721.5134
- Kern River Valley Department of Human Services (DHS) is at 7050 Lake Isabella Blvd., call 760.549.2006
- The main office is at 100 E. California Avenue, Bakersfield, CA 93307, Tel: 661.631.6000
- 8300 Segrue Road, Lamont, CA 93241. Call 661.635.4000
- Address is 119 N. 10th st., Taft, CA 93268. Phone 661.763.8517
God's Enduring Touch of Grace
2643 15Th Street West, Rosamond California 93560
Phone number (661) 480-8439
Love, Inc. of Greater Bakersfield
P.O. Box 10082
Bakersfield, CA 93309
Intake number is 661.325.8838
Many resources are offered to the low income, working poor, disabled and others. Kern County Love may offer Meals on Wheels or appliance repairs. Or get a car fixed or appliance repairs. There may be clothes, baby supplies, Ensure for the elderly and other food as well as social services.
Friendship House Community Center
2424 Cottonwood Rd
Bakersfield, California 93307
Main number is (661) 398-4520
A focus is on children, including those in schools, immigrants (documented or not), foster kids and others. Kids can get USDA feeding America backpacks with food. There are snacks and meals during the summer or school breaks. Or get clothes, school supplies and other goods. Parents can get help too.
St. Marys of the Desert
3100 15Th St., Rosamond California 93560
Main phone: (661) 256-4505
Hot meals may be served from the soup kitchen at the charity.
Food Pantry - Lake Isabella
Lake Isabella CA 93240 United States
Phone: (760) 379-4825
Provides free emergency food to those in need. Also baby food and formula is offered when available, as well as diapers twice a year.
Sharing And Caring, Tehachapi
Address: 230 Pauley, Tehachapi CA 93561
Golden Empire Gleaners
Soup kitchen address is 1326 30th Street
Bakersfield, California 93301
Free hot meals (lunches or dinners) are served. The homeless, immigrants, unemployed and poor may drop in.
Food Bank of Kern County and the Community Action Partnership of Kern
Location is 1825 Feliz Dr
Bakersfield California 93307
This food bank distributes emergency groceries and government commodities to pantries throughout Kern County. They can provide referrals to these pantries and food centers. Canned groceries, perishable fruits or vegetables, paper goods, dry items, and dairy, milk, and more is offered in partnership with local charities. More on free food Kern County community action agency.
Saint Vincent de Paul
Bakersfield, California 93307
Distributes emergency clothing, Hygiene Kits, furniture vouchers and free food and meals. Free toiletries for the homeless, boxes of food for single moms, and other programs are run.
- Another SVDP is at 316 Baker Street. There are food bank referrals, furniture programs, emergency financial help and other resources. Bakersfield, CA 93305. Phone 661.323.2942.
World of Pentecost
Address is 3025 North Fairfax Road
Bakersfield CA 93306
Food distribution will take place in partnership with local community action agencies.
600 Fairfax Road
Bakersfield, California 93306
An emergency food bank open once per month. Walk in service is available. The charity has canned groceries (such as soup and cereal) as well as fresh fruits, ensure for the elderly, and perishable goods.
Vanguard Community Center
1701 Niles St.
Bakersfield California, 93305
In addition to the pantry, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas meal baskets are given to working poor families and immigrants. Services are also offered in Spanish.
Flood Bakersfield Ministries
Address is 1830 Truxtun Ave, Bakersfield, CA 93301]. Dial (661) 323-5663
Baby formula, food, and holiday meals, among other resources, may be provide to the needy, seniors, and families in the community. There are also free holiday food baskets or hot meals for the low-income in Kern County, including at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Saturday Night Outreach
999 E. California Ave
Bakersfield CA 93301
Dial (661) 323-5663
The Homeless, immigrants, and farm workers can get hot meals. They also feed students during the summer months, and volunteers can refer seniors to Meals on Wheels.
Grace Assembly of God
2800 Larson Lane is the address of Food Distribution
Bakersfield CA 93304
Dial (661) 834-8411
Mt. Zion Baptist Church
Bakersfield CA 93304
Phone: (661) 325-1978
Help members of the community with addressing basic living needs, but people must have a referral through Love, Inc. or any other Kern County government agency.
Trinity Temple COGIC
20 "O" St.
Bakersfield CA 93304
Telephone - (661) 323-2145
Hope Center, Inc.
Address of food bank is 3311 Manor Drive
Bakersfield California 93308
The services include household goods, slightly used clothing, and a limited amount of free or affordable food.
New Covenant Church
800 Airport Drive
Bakersfield CA 93308
Dial (661) 392-7232 for intake and hours.
McFarland Care and Share
410 E. Perkins Avenue
Mc Farland CA 93250
Dial (661) 792-1883
Resources range from a food pantry to meals and clothing. Apply for government aid too, such as HEAP or CalFresh. They can also refer working poor and unemployed families to USDA commodities.
Griffith Avenue Baptist Church
Wasco California 93280
Church can provide meals to the homeless, information on shelter, guidance, and support.
Community Action Partnership of Kern
They operate a monthly food assistance program. The non-profit partners with churches, charities, and social services at distribution sites on this mobile pantry. There are also vouchers for discounted prescription medications, applications to WIC or CalFresh, and other support. Dial 661-725-9049, or try the following numbers of 661-845-6833 or 661-327-3074.
Bakersfield Family Church - His House of Refuge
Pantry address is 106 Wilson Ave
Bakersfield, California 93308
Grace Assembly of God
1510 McCray Street
Bakersfield, CA, 93308
A free food pantry for the vulnerable, disabled, and ill. Groceries, dairy, fruits, and more are passed out by volunteers.
Address is 7220 Rosedale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93308
Applicants should drop in to ring the door bell for help. A free, emergency box of canned or perishable food is given.
Laborers of the Harvest
Address: 201 1/2 Harrison Street
Taft California 93268
Main phone: (661) 763-1886
Additional free food or meals near you in Kern County
For referrals to other local pantries, dial 559.237.3663 or the community action agency at 661.398.4520. There are a number of other hunger prevention programs in Kern County, including government run ones such as the Commodity Supplemental Food Program or WIC for low income women.