Rental assistance Essex County Massachusetts.
Charities, government agencies and churches in Essex County Massachusetts provide rent and security deposit assistance to qualified low-income families, including seniors, the disabled, and single mothers. Find how to apply below for housing resources, including security deposit assistance, government or charitable rental assistance programs, moving costs, and even section 8 HUD vouchers. Free legal aid can also help tenants who are facing eviction.
The goal is to help low income families or senior citizens, or those in a crisis, find an affordable, safe place to live as well as maintain it. The agencies provide funds, including grants or loans, to help with rent in cities such as Lynn, Lawrence, Haverhill Peabody and across the county. There is also assistance with security or utility deposits on affordable apartments or homes, including for seniors. Almost all of the rent help in Essex County is combined with case management, budgeting, and self-sufficiency services. More on senior housing programs.
Catholic Charities of Essex County and North Share assists with housing costs. They works with the regional, Boston based charity. Rental assistance is offered, as funding allows. There may also be free hotel vouchers for women facing domestic violence, transitional housing, and furniture for a leased home.
- The main regional address is 280 Washington St, Salem, Massachusetts 01970. Funding is limited, but dial (978) 740-6923 for information on rent and housing resources.
- Gloucester Office of Catholic Charities – dial (978) 283-3055, and address is 60 Prospect St, Gloucester, MA 01930.
- Lynn residents – Phone (781) 593-2312
Action Inc. provides everything from landlord-tenant mediation to eviction prevention and housing search (as well as deposit help) from 180 Main St, Gloucester, Massachusetts 01930. They also help with applications to section 8 rent vouchers and other government aid. Call (978) 282-1000.
Bridgewell operates a number of housing programs. Dial (781) 593-1088. The homeless, renters with a pay or quit notice, the working poor can learn about local, affordable housing in Essex County. The non-profit is at 10 Dearborn Rd, Peabody, MA 01960.
Citizens Inn Homes focuses on long term housing assistance that may go as long as 12 months. Subsidies, rent vouchers, case management and other aid is offered. The address is 40 Washington St, Peabody, MA 01960. For details, dial (978) 531-9775.
American Legion helps veterans from Essex County and their families only. Small dollar grants can help pay housing costs (rent, utilities, mortgages, etc.), transportation, household supplies and more. 8 Washington St, Gloucester, Massachusetts 01930. Veterans only can dial (978) 283-9710.
Veterans can also apply for housing resources from Support Services for Veteran Families. Government grant funds from HUD can pay for everything from back rent to security deposits, storage, moving expenses, and more. Or get job placement, information on home buying programs and other support. Call (617) 371-1800.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul of Essex County has a few locations. Parishes help the poor, immigrants, and others. Whether emergency, immediate rental assistance or money for utilities (to prevent homelessness) to furniture, food, a thrift store and more, volunteers provide support. Rent assistance is limited. Call for details.
- Lawrence SVDP is at 42 Franklin St, Lawrence, MA 01840. Telephone – 978-655-1248
- 11 Market Square, Lynn, Massachusetts 01905. Call (339) 440-5330
North Shore Community Action Programs of Essex County is a poverty fighting organization. People with an eviction notice, or the currently homeless, can get financial help for rent, moving, deposits and more from NSCAP advocates. The main resources is known as the North Shore Housing Action Group. The main office is at 119 Rear Foster St, Peabody, MA 01960. Phone: (978) 531-0767. They also cover Peabody, Salem, Beverly, and Danvers. Or try the Greater Lawrence community action agency.
Lifebridgep arranges permanent supportive housing, and part of that will be funds for rent, utility or security depos, and more. Call (978) 744-0500. The formerly homeless can get help paying for low-income housing, section 8, and even renter or health insurance. Address is 56 Margin St, Salem, MA 01970.
Wellspring House, Inc. helps families only with children, including single mothers or fathers. Emergency rental assistance and homeless prevention is combined with guidance, housing search programs, and other social services. Location is 302 Essex Ave, Gloucester, MA 01930. Phone - 978) 281-3221.
Essex County regional Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless is at 73 Buffum St, Lynn, MA 01902. Everything from free Bed for EveryChild program to legal aid and mediators for landlord-tenant disputes. Get help finding an income based or affordable house, applications to free government grant money for rent or moving costs (from RAFT or other programs) and other financial aid. Referrals, case management, and other support is for low-income renters and the homeless. Call (781) 595-7570.
- Other similar service is the DTA program, formally known as the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance. Call (800) 249-2007 or (978) 825-7300 for the hotline, and an office is in Haverhill and Salem.
Rehousing and Homeless Prevention from the government can help a wide variety of Essex County tenants, homeowners, or homeless people. There is everything from financial help to pay rent, storage or utilities to legal aid, mediation, counseling and more. The main primary government resources are ESG and RAFT, and the funds come from the state or HUD. Find details on rehousing and homeless prevention in Essex County.
North Shore Community Development Coalition and the Family Resource Center (telephone 978 745-8071) offers everything from homebuying workshops to low to moderate income families to help for tenant issues, including applications for rent assistance. Other tenant issues are addressed too. Location is 96 Lafayette St, Salem, Massachusetts 01970.
Northeast Legal Aid-Northeast Justice Center and the Merrimack Valley Legal Services has volunteer and full time lawyers that assist tenants with eviction notice. Get representation in housing court, free advice, and housing advocacy services from the free attorneys and staff. Location is 35 John St , Lowell, Massachusetts 01852, dial (978) 458-1465.
Salvation Army of Essex County, Lynn, Lawrence and other cities has everything from emergency help with rent or utility bills to housing counseling. Or get motel or hotel vouchers, access to emergency lodging or homeless shelters, food, furniture and more. Find more details here on Salvation Army assistance programs Essex County.
Public Housing Authorities of Essex County are located in most cities and towns. They provide applications and information on Section 8 housing choice vouchers, public housing, and rent subsidized homes or apartments. There is also FSS (Family Self-Sufficiency), housing resources for the disabled or elderly and other aid.
- Beverly Housing Authority – 137 R Bridge St, Beverly, MA 01915. Dial (978) 922-3100
- Danvers Public Housing Authority is at 14 Stone St, Danvers, Massachusetts 01923. Dial (978) 777-0909
- Essex Housing Authority address is Chebacco Terrace, Essex, MA 01929. Call (978) 768-6821
- Gloucester Housing Authority is a non-profit at 259 Washington St, Gloucester, MA 01931. For information on section 8 or emergency vouchers, dial (978) 281-4770
- Hamilton Housing Authority - 121 Railroad Ave, South Hamilton, MA 01982. Intake number is (978) 468-3981
- Lynn Housing Authority & Development (LHAND) offers vouchers, rent assistance and operates low income units from 10 Church St, Lynn, Massachusetts 01902. Call (781) 581-8600 for the Family Success Center or section 8.
- Lynnfield Housing Authority - 600 Ross Drive, Lynnfield, Massachusetts 01940. Main number is (781) 581-5783
- Manchester Housing Authority phone number is (978) 526-1850
- Marblehead Housing Authority office address is 26 Rowland St, Marblehead, MA 01945. Call (781) 631-2580
- Middleton Housing Authority location is Orchard Circle, Middleton, MA 01949. For details on the wait list or section 8 applications, dial (978) 774-4333
- Nahant Housing Authority address: 194 Nahant Rd, Nahant, MA 01908. Call (781) 581-9623
- Peabody Housing Authority location is 75 Central St, Peabody, Massachusetts 01960. Main number is (978) 531-1938
- Rockport Housing Authority offers section 8 rent vouchers, resources for the disabled and elderly and more from 13 Millbrook Park, Rockport, MA 01966. Telephone - (978) 546-3181
- Salem Housing Authority PHA) - 27 Charter St, Salem, MA 01970. Call (978) 744-4431
- Saugus Housing Authority main office address - 19 Talbot St, Saugus, Massachusetts 01906. Dial (781) 233-2116
- Swampscott Housing Authority has case workers and staff at 6 Duncan Terrace, Swampscott, MA 01907. Telephone: (781) 593-5516
- Wenham Housing Authority address - Larch Lane, Wenham, Massachusetts 01984. Telephone number is (978) 468-1532
Family Promise North Shore, Inc. focuses on providing homeless shelters and short-term housing. The location is 8 Rantoul St, Beverly, Massachusetts 01915. For information on the network, call (978) 922-0787.
The Haven Project only helps youth who are struggling with stable housing. A shelter, transitional housing, employment, life skills and stability services are offered from 57 Munroe St, Lynn, MA 01901. Call (781) 913-5738.