DeKalb County Indiana assistance programs.
Help pay heating and energy bills as well as other financial aid
The Community Action of Northeast Indiana (CANI) is now accepting applications and appointments for its Energy Assistance Program (EAP). This program can help pay for residents heating bills. People in need of aid can apply at all of its offices in DeKalb, Allen, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, and Whitley counties.
There are some conditions, and applicants to the program must meet income levels of :
• One-person household – Total income of no more than $15,315 per year.
• Two-person household – Income can’t be greater than $20,535 annually.
• Three-person family/household – Household income of no more than $25,755 annually
• Four-person household – No more than $30,975 per year income
For each additional family member, add $5,220 in income for each additional family member.
When you apply you need to bring with you:
• Accurate, complete documentation of total household gross income (including payroll check stubs, letter from employer, award letters, unemployment checks, and child support payments) for the past 12 months for everyone in the household who is 18 years of age and older.
• If anyone in the household is 18 years of age or older and has no income, she or he needs to have a notarized statement saying what they have lived on for the past year as they must have had some money.
• Bring copiers of your current heating and light bills at the current residence.
• Social Security numbers for everyone in the household are required.
The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) offered in the state of Indiana will assist with a portion of a client’s heating bills during the long, cold winter months. In addition, there is a summer component, as the program also provides fans, air conditions, or utility bill credits during summer months, depending on a family’s situation and financial condition. Last year, CANI itself helped more than 14,000 families with their utility and heating bills. More on electric bill help.
That is not the only assistance program offered in DeKalb County. The agency known as CANI administers homeless prevention, resources for children such as Head Start, free meals, food, and referrals. Case managers from the site partner with clients to address their needs. If Community Action of Northeast Indiana does not have what you need, then ask for referrals.
One of the focuses of the agency is on homeless and eviction prevention. Programs such as SSVF for veterans and the Shelter Plus Care are available. The focus is on the very low income, seniors, and disabled in the region. They may also have some emergency funds to pay a partial rent expense.
They are located at 209 N. Jackson St in Auburn Indiana. Click more information.
Auburn Indiana Salvation Army thrift store sells gently used goods. Whether it is clothing for work or school supplies, low cost goods are offered. The store may also have furniture in DeKalb County as well as Christmas toys and the case managers will also offer clients counseling, referrals to financial aid or food, and other services. The address is 1006 W 7th St, or learn more.