Financial assistance from Dallas County Salvation Army.
A leading organization to contact for assistance in Dallas Texas is the Salvation Army. The primary program they administer is known as the Emergency Family Services, which offer gasoline for work, one time rental assistance, food or free groceries, and case management among other resources.. Other Salvation Army assistance programs can help seniors, the homeless, and disabled in Dallas County.
Too many people in Dallas are living paycheck to paycheck. Many others fall into a category known as the working poor, meaning their income just isn’t high enough to pay the bills and provide for their basic needs, even though they are gainfully employed. Many locations of the Salvation Army in Dallas County can provide emergency financial assistance to help families get through crisis situations or these short term hardships.
This can include money to pay rent or funds for paying energy bills in order to prevent homelessness. Food and meals can be distributed. Other forms of assistance can include free vouchers for medications, school clothing, and vouchers for free or low cost groceries. An increase in demand for their services will usually occur around the Christmas and Thanksgiving, and the Salvation Army can provide and coordinate for holiday meals and gifts too.
One of the primary programs is run by the Carr P. Collins Center. While any type of aid distributed will depend on factors including available resources, the applicant’s income and need, and other criteria, in general this center can provide assistance to more than 500 families a month. The location may offer financial assistance in securing prescription medications, free food and groceries, school clothing and work uniforms, and emergency financial assistance to pay bills such as rent, utility, and cooling. Most forms of emergency financial assistance provided, such as rental and utilities, will focus on preventing homelessness.
Those faced with imminent eviction, or who are currently homeless, can also turn to The Salvation Army in Dallas for transitional housing and temporary shelter. Locations offer families and individuals clean and dignified surroundings. People can receive counseling, meals and assistance finding employment or accessing job training programs. Rarely some funds may even be offered for paying for a portion of security or utility deposits when someone does find a new more affordable home or apartment.
Social workers and counselors may also advise the disabled and elderly who are applying for public assistance such as V.A. or Social Security benefits. Unfortunately the elderly living in poverty comprise a vulnerable segment of the population in Dallas. But there are many public assistance programs in Texas for the low income as well as seniors.
As the population around Dallas Texas and the country continues to age, there is an ever increasing need for help. This aging is the result of the baby boomer generation. Therefore the demand for services and assistance for older Americans will continue to increase across the nation. So the Salvation Army in Dallas is trying to be prepared to meet needs of the aging population. Resources offered can include:
- Meals and food – Volunteers may deliver free meals to the homebound. This program will really ramp up during the holidays.
- Weekday Fellowship Groups – Provide seniors a place to go to feel a sense of connection to others. This can provide them something to look forward to on weekday mornings. There can be daily morning programs for seniors which may be activities like guest speakers, crafts, ceramics, sewing, dominoes, games, exercise, and meals.
- Housing – Get information on resources such as affordable housing, or the section 8 housing voucher program which can be used to help pay rental expenses. Some apartments focus on meeting the needs of seniors. Read more senior housing vouchers.
- The Salvation Army also operates Cooling Stations across Dallas. The community centers and shelters across the county will all provide a place to go to escape the summer heat. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to stop by, cool off in an air-conditioned facility, and maybe even pick up a free fan, as available.
- School supplies - This is offered for children and teenagers that are returning to school. Having backpacks, shoes, and other supplies is important, so some free items may be offered.
- Angel Tree - This can provide children in Dallas Texas with free Christmas toys, gifts, clothing and their families with holiday meals.
- Veterans Programs - The Salvation Army offers this in partnership with the Veteran’s Administration. Housing and other support services are offered, including help with establishing income, paying rent, saving money and addressing behavioral health and medical needs.
- Clothing assistance, in particular for children and people who need attire for work.
- Guidance is given, is this is the Dallas Salvation Army case management process. It addresses everything from employment to budgeting, ESL classes, and much more.
Salvation Army centers in Dallas
It is recommended that a resident go to a location near them, but call to male an appointment first. If they are homebound, then the Salvation Army may have some volunteers in Dallas County who can drop by. All resources, especially financial support, is limited.
- Carr P. Collins Social Services Center, Parkland Hospital Area, 5302 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75235, main number (214) 424-7000
- Mabee Social Services Center, 1855 E. Lancaster Ave., Forth Worth, TX 76103, (817) 344-1800
- Dallas Temple (Love Field Area), 6500 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, Texas 75235, (214) 956-6025
- Oak Cliff, 1617 W. Jefferson, Dallas, TX 75208, (214) 941-5911 or 5914
- Cedar Crest (East Oak Cliff), 1007 Hutchins Road, Dallas, TX 75203, dial (214) 941-7404
- Pleasant Grove, 8341 Elam Road, Dallas, Texas 75217, 214-398-6619
- 451 W. Ave D, Garland, TX 75040, (972) 272-4531
- 250 East Grauwyler Road, Irving, Texas 75061, (972) 438-6553
- 207 Elm Street, Lewisville, TX 75067, (972) 353-9400
- 600 Wilson Creek Pkwy, McKinney, TX 75069, (972) 542-6694
- 3528 E. 14th, Plano, TX 75074, phone (972) 423-8254
- 712 W. Abram, Arlington, TX 76013, (817) 860-1836
- Northside Corps (N. Fort Worth), 3023 NW 24th St, Fort Worth, TX 76106, (817) 624-3111 or 1637
- 620 Farley St., Waxahachie, TX 75165, telephone (972) 937-7727
Those are just some of the Salvation Army thrift stores and social service agencies in Dallas. Dial one to get more information or referrals.