Emergency assistance from Salvation Army in Contra Costa County.
A number of programs are administered for residents of the greater Contra Costa California region. Many of the Salvation Army programs focus on low income families with young children, senior citizens, and the disabled.
While the Salvation Army will try to provide monetary assistance (when funding allows) more than likely the assistance will come in the form of referrals, advice, or case management services. They will try to address basic needs of Contra Costa residents, which can include food, rent, and emergency utility disconnection services. One of the key programs are free holiday meals and gifts, including around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Emergency Assistance may be distributed. This has several components. All social services and individual and family assistance is provided with confidentiality, dignity and respect. Some of the most common ways such basic needs assistance is provided includes the following programs.
- Supermarket Vouchers – Include groceries, food, vouchers, perishable items, and services such as baby formula.
- Cloth Assistance – New or gently used clothing or uniforms may be offered for people who need it for work, or children/teenagers who need clothes for school.
- Food Pantries and Food Baskets are offered at most Salvation Army centers in Contra Costa. Residents, regardless of income, can stop by for these services.
- Emergency Shelter and Meals can be offered for people facing imminent eviction or who are now homeless.
- Utility bill assistance may be paid out to qualified families in an emergency. Most of this aid is targeted at people who are faced with a disconnection of their services.
- Household Furnishing Assistance – While not as common, may be available at some Salvation Army centers in Contra Costa County California.
Other programs revolve around Sustaining Assistance. This type of service is offered for qualified families, and is typically ongoing and often provides the critical spiritual, psychological and material difference to sustain hope for the working poor and other marginalized families and individuals.
For example, a food pantry can help sustain the low income and ongoing distributions are held in many Salvation Army centers on a monthly, weekly, or biweekly basis. Assistance is offered for senior citizens, the disabled or the working poor. The food is considered as emergency assistance that can sustain health and nutrition to those who could not otherwise afford it.
Social Services are offered by most Salvation Army Corps in Contra Costa. The centers provide basic case management, emergency financial assistance, pastoral counseling, advocacy, and referral services. Get help in applying for government and public aid too, such as LIHEAP or food stamps. Click here for more on California government assistance programs.
The non-profit agency has many other programs for those seeking help such as back to school clothing & backpacks, financial and emergency assistance with past due PG&E Bills, reasonably priced summer and after-school programs, Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday food baskets & toys. While not as common, Contra Costa families may also receive baby items (including clothing, furnishings, diapers, etc.) when available and also Dog, Cat Food and Cat Litter.
Developmental Group Programs are offered for qualified adolescents, children, and developmentally disabled adults. These services are often provided on a daily or weekly basis to sustain social development for persons who would not have access to such growth and personnel development services without the support of the Salvation Army.
The Salvation Army center addresses in Contra Costa
- 620 East Tregallas Road
Phone number is (925) 778-0303
- 1806 Linda Drive
Pleasant Hill, California
- The Salvation Army office at Concord Community Church
3950 Clayton Road, Concord, CA
- Center at 4600 Appian Way, El Sobrante, CA
- 36700 Newark Boulevard, Newark, California