latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Search the site

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money





Connecticut disability benefit programs.

Connecticut residents with a disability can get help and support. Most of the benefits are offered by the Department of Social Services, however several other government organizations and non-profit agencies also administer programs.

The leading agencies to contact are below. Each and every one will work with individuals with a disability, their family members and caregivers. Representatives can help people apply for federal government programs and financial aid or direct them to local health care programs. A major focus is on basic needs such as providing affordable housing, keeping utilities connected, offering medical care, and even employment opportunities. Also learn about cash assistance programs such as SSDI.

The Department of Social Services runs several programs for people with disabilities. If this organization can’t help you, then they may have referrals as well. The main office is at 25 Sigourney Street Hartford, CT 06106-5033. Call 800-842-1508. More details are below.

One of the main categories of assistance available is for medical bills and needs. To address this need, the state will offer resources such as Medicaid (Title XIX) applications and help in applying for ConnPACE health insurance. Other benefits include Personal Care Attendant, Money Follows the Person, Department of Mental Retardation (DMR) Waiver, and Medicaid for the Employees with Disabilities. If the disabled person wants other options, then alternatives to health insurance can be explored.

Connecticut offers the disabled several food assistance programs. They include SNAP / Food Stamps, access to pantries, and other Nutritional Assistance Programs. They are for low income disabled and the poor, and really anyone can use a free food pantry in Connecticut.

Grants and cash assistance can help pay for basic needs such as rent, utility bills, or medications that the disabled may need. The leading programs are Temporary Family Assistance (TFA) or the LIHEAP Connecticut Energy Assistance Program. The focus is on winter heating bills. Another option for the disabled is on social security SSDI.





Some of the employment programs offered by the Department Social Services (DSS) are from the Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS), Connect-Ability, as well as Connect to Work Program.

Preventing homelessness and ensuring that residents with a disability have housing is always key too. So the state offers Emergency Homeless Shelters, the Homeshare Program, Section 8, Security Deposit Program, emergency rent and more. Social workers will help people locate a home or apartment too. If you need modifications are updates to your home, then an option is the Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation Program.

For more information on any of those benefits or programs listed above, dial the Department of Social Services at 800-842-1508.

Resources from the Connecticut Department of Developmental Services are also extensive. This organization provides several community and family services, which include employment supports, autism and family support resources, psychology services, case management, family support resources, birth to three planning, and health and clinical services. 460 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT 06106, call 866-737-0330.

In addition to helping seniors and the elderly, the Department of Social Services’ Aging Services Division also can assist the disabled. Their programs include Aging Information and Referral Services (CHOICES), CT Nursing Home Diversion Modernization Project, and Evidenced-Based Health Care and Prevention Programs. 1-866-218-6631

Bureau of Rehabilitation Services Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Program helps with employment needs. The Connecticut VR assists people with mental or physical disabilities to find and keep a job. Programs include job search assistance, vocational counseling, skill training and career education services. Staff and case workers also offer on-the-job training in business and industry, supported employment services, assistive technology services, vehicle and home modifications, services to assist in restoring or improving a physical or mental condition, and other services. Call VR at 1-800-537-2549 for more details.

Connecticut Department of Social Services’ Division of Social Work and Prevention Services offers government benefits for people with disabilities. Examples include ConnPACE (a service that helps eligible senior citizens and people with disabilities afford the cost of most prescription medicines), Organ Transplant Program, winter heating aid, Medicaid and Medicare applications, food assistance, cash assistance, employment services (including Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS), Connect to Work Program, and Connect-Ability), preventive service, and rent and housing. Dial (860) 424-5058.

Connecticut Long-Term Care is available from the Aging and Disability Resource Centers. They provide support to people over the age of 18. Clients can get information on private and public long-term care (LTC) services and other support in Connecticut, including community and home care, affordable housing, and residential or nursing home care. 1-800-994-9422.




Additional non-profits and government organizations

The Arc of Connecticut
Address is 43 Woodland Street, Suite 260
Hartford, CT 06105
Call (860) 246-6400

Autism Society of Connecticut
P. O. Box 1404
Guilford, CT 06437
Main phone - (888) 453-4975

Brain Injury Association of Connecticut
333 East River Drive, Suite 106
East Hartford, CT 06108
(860) 721-8111

Connecticut’s American School for the Deaf
Location of the office is 139 North Main Street
West Hartford, CT 06107
Main phone - (860) 570-2300

Connecticut Association of Centers for Independent Living
151 New Park Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
Telephone number is (860) 656-0430

Connecticut Board of Education and Services for the Blind
Address: 184 Windsor Avenue
Windsor, CT 06095
(860) 602-4000

Connecticut Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
659 Tower Avenue, First Floor
Hartford, CT 06112
(860) 913-2550

Connecticut Commission of the Deaf and Hearing Impaired
Main address 67 Prospect Avenue, 3rd Floor
West Hartford, CT 06133
For information on programs, dial (800) 708-6796 TTY/Voice

Connecticut Council on Developmental Disabilities
460 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106-1308
Telephone number: 1-800-653-1134





Connecticut Department of Developmental Services
Main address is 460 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
Toll-free 866-737-0330

Connecticut Department of Education
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106

Connecticut Department of Social Services’ Aging Services Division
25 Sigourney Street, 10th Floor
Hartford, CT 06106
Dial (860) 424-5274
This office also runs programs for the disabled.

Connecticut Department of Social Services Division of Social Work & Prevention Services
25 Sigourney Street
Hartford, CT0 6106
Call (860) 424-5058 for information

Connecticut Department of Social Services’ Medicaid Program
Location: 25 Sigourney Street
Hartford, CT06106-5033
Toll free number is 1-800-842-1508

Connecticut Long-Term Care (LTC) Services and Supports:Aging and Disability Resource Centers
Community Choices 1-800-994-9422

Agency Connecticut’s Oak Hill
120 Holcomb Street
Hartford, CT 06112
(860) 242-2274

The Learning Disabilities Association of Connecticut Inc.
Main address is 999 Asylum Avenue, 5th Floor
Hartford, CT 06105
Dial the office at (860) 560-1711

New England Paralyzed Veterans of America Office
1600 Providence Highway, Suite 143
Walpole, MA 02081
(800) 660-1181

Spina Bifida Association of Connecticut, Inc .
Hartford, CT 06146
Toll-free 800-574-6274





United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Hartford
80 Whitney Street
Hartford, CT 06105
For information, call (860) 236-6201

University of Connecticut Health Center’s A.J. Pappanikou Center for Developmental Disabilities
Main address - 263 Farmington Avenue, MC 6222
Farmington, CT 06030
Toll-free number is (866) 623-1315


By Jon McNamara


Additional Local Programs












Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site