- Home Buyer Purchase - Get help buying a home and getting financing. This housing program is designed to provide low- and moderate- income families with support and financial to become homeowners. The housing purchase program will pay up to $5000 per family in down payment, closing costs, and/or interest buy downs and limited funds for required repairs established by an HQS inspection.
- Utility Bill Disconnection Prevention - Financial assistance and grants may be provided to low-income households, the elderly, and/or disabled who meet eligibility requirements when the clients heating or electric service has been or will be shut off. Payments provided to clients of the agency may include the amount needed to restore or continue the utility or heating service for at least 30 days. Also, services may include payment of necessary charges to deliver a 30-day supply of a deliverable heating oil or fuel to the applicant. More on electric bill help.
- Food from the Targeted Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) - This federal and state of Michigan funded program is distributed quarterly to income eligible persons and can provide them food in an emergency.
- Mortgage and foreclosure advice - Get information on foreclosure prevention tactics as well as government mortgage assistance programs.
- The non-profit organization administers other emergency assistance programs and referrals for the low income in the region. Find more Chippewa Luce Mackinac Community Action Human Resource Authority programs.
Call the Sault Ste. Marie Michigan based Chippewa-Luce-Mackinac Community Action (C-L-M) at (906) 632-3363.
Sault Ste. Marie Salvation Army
Some of the resources offered include utility bill assistance to low to moderate income individuals facing utility shut-off/disconnection. Get help with health care in the form of $50.00 for emergency prescription medications and vouchers. The Salvation Army can also provides a 3-5 day supply of free food or groceries to low-income families in an emergency assistance situation. Holiday assistance, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas meals and gifts are offered. Call the agency at (906) 632-6521.
Saint Igance Area Hope
Distributes the free food and groceries to people who are in emergency situations. The charity may also have items for other basic needs, such as clothing or holiday meals. Call (906) 643-7360