Cheshire County assistance programs.
Find the government programs, churches, and charities in Cheshire County that offer financial help to low income or struggling families. Everything from free food or winter clothes to rent or heating/utility bill help is combined with case management. The services, whether financial, counseling, or just referrals, are effective in a crisis.
Financial assistance from your town
The various towns and cities in Cheshire County New Hampshire offer assistance to those who qualify. Individuals and families may get help with paying rent, utilities, heating expenses, free food and certain prescription medications. In addition, the towns are a great place to stop by to get referrals to local charities and non-profits, and to gain access to various government assistance programs. All towns are required to provide these resources to residents per New Hampshire state laws. Keene New Hampshire (603) 357-9809. Roxbury and Surry also offer aid. Phone (603) 352-3075
Cheshire Community Action Agency - Southwestern Community Services, Inc.
- Electric Bill Assistance Program - This option provides qualifying PSNH customers with a discount on their monthly electric and utility bills.
- Fuel Assistance Program - This is a resource that provides financial assistance for paying heating bills and utility expenses to handicapped, elderly, and low-income residents.
- Rent help and eviction prevention - This particular assistance program offers eviction prevention services, including landlord/tenant mediation, budget counseling, one-time financial supports, and referrals to other resources or non-profits. Both grants and loans may be issued for housing costs such as back rent or a security deposit.
- Neighbor Helping Neighbor Program - This is an energy assistance program that provides funds and emergency help for paying utility bills as well as energy assistance (electric or natural gas) to needy families and individuals who are experiencing some type of financial hardships, if the family has a disconnection pending, and if the family is ineligible for help from the Fuel Assistance Program.
- Food Pantry - Can help people provide food for their family.
- Senior Energy Assistance Program, which is known as SEAS, provides emergency energy bill assistance, grants, and funds in an amount of up to $270 per elderly household for individuals and families.
Call the Keene NH based Southwestern Community Services, Inc. at (603) 352-7512. While the above list touches upon many of their programs, other resources are available as well. Read more Southwestern Community Services (SCS) programs.
Debt and foreclosure help
Consumer Credit Counseling is a non-profit that helps people through difficult times. Services offered include budget counseling, foreclosure prevention, and debt management programs. Call the Keene New Hampshire agency at (800) 327-6778. Find other debt help programs.
Emergency help for food, information, and paying bills
The Keene Salvation Army may be able to help people facing a crisis. The phone number is (603) 352-0607. Among the programs and services offered include a food pantry, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and holiday meals and gifts, and they rarely may have funds for paying bills. Or the workers there can direct people to agencies that can help with bills, rent, and more. For example, find programs that offer rent help.
Helping Hand Center Food Pantry (Troy New Hampshire (603) 242-3007) offers a food pantry, clothing closet, holiday meals, and referrals.
St. Vincent DePaul Society of Keene offers services, including a food pantry. They may also have free winter clothes or school supplies. Phone (603) 357-1647