Logan, Champaign, and Shelby County assistance programs.
There are several grants, loans, charities and government assistance programs that help struggling families in the Logan County area. Find everything from emergency rent help to free food or clothes (including school supplies) below. There are also low income apartments, mortgage assistance, free card, medical care, security deposit assistance, free Christmas toys and other financial help in the counties of Champaign and Shelby.
Non-profits that offer rent, utility bill, and heating assistance
- Catholic Charities - 652-2125 or 325-8715
- St. Vincent DePaul - 322-0838
- Salvation Army - 322-3434 or 484-4244
- Low Income Energy Assistance Program - 325-8366
- Enon Relief (Mad-River/Green Township) - 864-7664
Alpha Community Center Emergency Housing - This Sidney Ohio based non-profit provides housing and foreclosure counseling. There may also be limited funding for emergency housing (rent or mortgages) and utility needs when someone is faced with a crisis. 937-489-1739
Tri-County Community Action Commission of CLS - This is the local community action agency for Shelby, Champaign, and Logan Ohio. They administer a number of financial assistance programs and can also provide information for the unemployed, working poor, and needy in the area.
- Weatherization - Get access to free weatherization and energy conservation programs. The community action agency can coordinate to have insulation added to your floors, attic, and sidewalls. Other services offered can include inspecting your heating unit, which will also be inspected and tuned if needed. All service is free of charge to income qualifying low income persons and families. Learn more on weathering your home.
- Emergency Food and Shelter Program - This federal government funded program may be able to assist you with paying for a deposit for moving into a new home, provide money to pay an energy bill so your service is not disconnected, or offer money if you have an eiction notice from your landlord.
- Home repairs - This program can help you deal with housing issues. Home repair services offered and supported by the Tri-County Community Action Commission of CLS include, but are not limited to the following. Window Replacement, Ramps; Grab Bars; Furnace; Doors; Floors (fix or repair wood); Plumbing; Heavy-duty cleaning; Air Conditioners; outside work and more.
- Home Energy Assistance Program - Get cash grants from this utility program. It is available during the summer to pay your air conditioner bills, and you can also get financial help during the winter to pay your heating bills.
- Career counseling and computer training - From time to time they can offer computer classes and help people find jobs. Or students can receive free back to school supplies. There is also such support as free work clothes for job seekers or those looking to make a better impression.
The main office is located in Bellefontaine, but the programs and resources are available to all people across the region. Call (937) 593-0034.
Another community action agency also covers the region, including Champaign and Logan county among others. The assistance includes help in applying for state benefits such as PIPP Plus, Head Start applications from the federal government, and well as emergency loan programs as part of homeless prevention.
Struggling families across Champaign County, Logan, and Shelby can apply for aid. At the same time, the agency coordinates ongoing support around debt reduction, employment, budgeting, and much more. Click more information Community Action of Delaware, Logan and nearby counties.
Low income families and those living in poverty can explore a variety of public aid and assistance programs. There are various national and Ohio programs. Options range from USDA free school meals to cash assistance, Medicaid, SSI disability, food stamps, free daycare and many others. Learn more on getting public assistance.
Medical and health care
- Health Districts - 390-5600 or 484-1605
- Veterans Health Center - 328-3385
- Rocking Horse - 324-1111
- Mercy Medical Assistance - 653-5231 or 328-9406
- Help Me Grow - 484-1514 or 322-2099
Compassionate Care of Shelby County, Inc. (937-492-6400) - This community clinic provides low cost or free primary healthcare services to the uninsured, low income and underinsured residents of Shelby County Ohio. Residents and patients who are eligible for state or federal government funded programs do not qualify for services at this community clinic. They offer cancer screenings, flu shots, medical care for kids and adults and other services.
Debt and foreclosure prevention
Consumer Credit Counseling Service - This non-profit credit counseling agency offers debt management programs, budget and credit counseling, foreclosure prevention. Counselors can also arrange for HUD certified counseling, and financial education classes for individuals and families. Some assistance is free. Consumer Credit Counseling is both a HUD approved housing counseling agency and they are also accredited by the Council on Accreditation. 492-1953