Carter County Tennessee assistance programs.
Some of the agencies and non-profits to contact for help with rent, medications, and utility bills include.
Assistance and Resource Ministries - While this agency does have limited funding, they provide help with paying rent and security deposit assistance, heating and utility bill assistance, funds to pay utility deposits and for reconnection, free and low cost prescription medicine when needed in life-threatening situations. They also provide information on local non-profits, charities, and government assistance programs. Elizabethton Tennessee 542-0919
Carter County - Upper East Tennessee Human Development Agency, Inc. - This is the local community action agency. They offer the programs and services mentioned below.
- Emergency Food and Shelter Program - This government funded emergency program assists families or individuals in Carter County Tennessee with providing for special emergency needs for rental, mortgage, cooling or utility bill assistance. In some cases, loans may be issued in Carter County for housing costs as part of EFSP, such as a security deposit or back rental costs.
- Low Income Energy Bill Assistance - Another federal government program, which is known as LIHEAP for short, was created for families and households in need of heating and cooling assistance to help with the expense that occurs with their energy bills. It can also provide help in a crisis to prevent a disconnection.
- Free food - The program known as USDA Commodity foods program will provides low income, the elderly, working poor, and others with a variety of nutritious free foods which enables low-income families to stretch their grocery dollars and ensure they remain healthy.
- Weatherization - The program known as WAP assists low-income, the elderly, and families with children in their households in reducing their high fuel cost and energy bills while contributing to the national energy savings that the country is targeting. Weatherization measures, which are free for low income, that are provided will reduce heat loss and conserve energy cost by improving the warmth and cooling of a dwelling. So you could potentially save hundreds of dollar on your home utility bills. More on weatherization.
- CSBG - Emergency assistance for bills is offered, income management, and other help.
Upper East Tennessee Human Development Agency, Inc. can be reached at (423) 246-6180
Harvest Baptist Church/Food Pantry - This is a food distribution center for Elizabethton and Carter County TN. (423) 213-5259
Children and senior citizens can enroll into free Christmas assistance programs. There are charities, such as the Salvation Army, that pass out toys, serve Thanksgiving or Christmas meals, and offer other support to the needy. Carter County families need to enroll into the fall, and find holiday help in Northeast Tennessee.
Legal help and counseling
Legal Aid of East Tennessee provides free legal assistance and representation for low to moderate income individuals, families, groups, seniors, and victims of domestic violence. Legal services provided in following areas: Foreclosure Prevention, Housing, SSI/Disability, or get help in applying for Food Stamps/Family Firs or other Government programs
Attorneys can also help with other benefits, including Tenn Care/Medicaid, Elder Abuse/Exploitation, Health Care, Insurance, Employment, Utility Problems and Disconnections Consumer Problems. Or get free legal aid for other civil matters including general Family Problems, Debt, Education, and Community Based Problems. Click here for more information on free legal aid services in Tennessee, or call (865) 981-1818