Rich and Box Elder County assistance programs.
In a crisis. or when struggling, Rich and Box elder County families can get financial help. There are funds from churches for paying rent, help with utility bills or security deposits from charities, free food pantries, government cash grants, affordable medical care and other resources. The goal is to provide short term financial aid as well as long term case management services.
Bear River Association of Governments - This community action agency runs assistance programs for Box Elder and Rich Counties in Utah. Qualified individuals can get financial assistance for expenses such as rent, energy and heating bills, and other aid.
- Rent assistance - The agency is the non-profit that runs the HUD Section 8 Rental Assistance Program, which can provide housing assistance for the low income and working poor. Learn more on Section 8 housing vouchers.
- Furnace repair and/or replacement - In an average year the community action agency will pay up to $50,000 to help various local families deal with furnace issues.
- Utah Home Energy Assistance Target (HEAT) Program - This heating and energy bill assistance program may be able to provide winter utility and energy assistance to the working poor, unemployed, and low-income households. Priority and initial funding is targeted at those people who are truly vulnerable and who need financial assistance, including the lowest-income households in Utah who have with the highest heating costs. So people with children, senior citizens, and disabled are the top priority for the HEAT program.
- Weatherization Assistance Program - On average, participants in this program can save up to $400 per year on their home heating and/or energy bills. The program can help low to moderate income families and individuals, such as the handicapped and elderly, participate in energy conservation and weatherization programs. Weatherization is free to qualified Utah families.
- Information - Bear River Association of Governments is a great place to turn to for information and referrals to local non-profits and charity organization. Get referred to both Utah and federal government assistance programs.
- Additional social services - Low income families have other resources available to them as well. There are VITA - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance sites located in Box Elder County Utah. The agency can also help families apply for government benefits such as food stamps or emergency heating bill assistance from HEAT.
Bear River Association of Governments is located in Logan Utah, and dial (435) 752-7242. For more information on programs, click here for information.
Cache Community Food Pantry - This is one of the main locations in which county residents can get free food, groceries, and other forms of aid and support. The center can also coordinate holiday and Christmas assistance, as well as offer referrals to local non-profits and charities. 435-753-7140.