latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Energy Bill Assistance

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescription Drugs

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Paying Bills

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Birmingham and Jefferson County AL St. Vincent De Paul assistance programs.

The SVDP in Jefferson County Alabama offers emergency financial assistance as part of their Outreach Services. When funding is available, and qualified, there may be some money to pay bills including electric, water, rent, or cover food for qualified low-income families. Veterans in the Birmingham area, including homeless ones, may also get help from the Special Projects Program, which includes shelter, transitional housing, meals and more.

The Saint Vincent de Paul operates across the entire county. The main faith-based location is Saint Mark the Evangelist church. Volunteers help the less fortunate, regardless of their race, gender, religion, or age.

Emergency funds for bills from Outreach Service

Financial support is arranged. The Birmingham Alabama Society of St. Vincent De Paul will try to arrange assistance. The type provided, whether a loan or grant, as well as the dollar amount varies depending on a person’s needs, situation and their eligibility. Most of what is available in the community was designed to help people stay in their homes or apartments, and this is what rent or utility bill help goes towards.

Other priorities are on helping with medical needs and offering support for educational/employment costs. The team can also help people move into new, affordable housing if they are about to become homeless. Or the volunteers from SVDP in Jefferson County help the client get food, groceries, and the nutrition they need.

Society of Saint Vincent de Paul case managers meet with the individual. They can aid them in the search for financial help. Maybe most critically, the case managers work with the individual or family on creating a plan for long-term housing stability and refer people to employment resources. Goals are put into place so when Jefferson County Alabama residents have temporary financial hardships, they will be dealt with effectively.

Of course not all households are qualified. The programs have different eligibility conditions in place, and they will be based on funding availability and other factors. When resources are available, St. Vincent de Paul can assist with transportation assistance in Birmingham Alabama, grants for paying past-due rent or mortgage, medications, emergency food, or also first month’s rent and deposit.




Other living expenses can be paid by the Society of Saint Vincent in Birmingham as well. They may offer clothes or provide gift cards (or vouchers) to help pay for clothing or to cover life-saving prescription medications. Or they give out discount cards for prescription drugs. Volunteers from the church may deliver hot meals to the homebound, or drive an elderly person to a doctor appointment. Each request is reviewed on a one off basis.

The food pantry and feeding site at Saint Vincent de Paul provides groceries, food, baby formula and diapers, household cleaning supplies, personal toiletry items, fruits or vegetables and hygiene products to families in crisis. This is a very effective resource for people who are waiting on SNAP food stamps or that have a short-term crisis situation.

Working in partnership with Feeding America and other groups, there is also a mobile pantry in the region. This service provides groceries for individuals that are not as mobile or it can feed families impacted by a disaster. So it can help those who live in areas of the county where assistance is not easily accessible for whatever reason.

Jefferson County Saint Vincent also helps veterans. They work with those that served our country to ensure they have a meal and food. Or that they have a roof over their heads. The team at Saint Mark the Evangelist run an assistance program known as Special Projects which helps veterans with housing and helps them get the benefits they need. Their immediate family members will also be supported. They also offer help in applying for Alabama public assistance programs.





Applying for assistance at Society of Saint Vincent in Jefferson County

As noted, the main distribution point is the Saint Mark the Evangelist church. But other charities, churches, and volunteers help the society as well. There are always donations of funds and food needed, and those goods go to the less fortunate. Assistance is generally offered a few times per month from 7340 Cahaba Valley Rd. (Hwy 119), Birmingham, Alabama 35242. For more information, dial (205) 980-1810, extension 9.

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy


Search Site