Barry County assistance programs.
Barry County Community Action Agency
The local non-profit agency can provide individuals with short term financial assistance, and also guide people on the path to long term self-sufficiency. The assistance programs they offer qualified low income, elderly, and the working poor include.
- Utility, heating, and energy bill assistance. Both government programs and find ways how to get help from Michigan utility companies.
- Emergency food assistance and commodity sign up programs.
- Head start and child assistance
- Weatherization can help people reduce their energy bills.
- Information on numerous low income programs. Click here to learn more.
Call the community action agency at 269-948-4260. Hundreds of local families in Barry County receive referrals or other forms of support from Community Action Agency of South Central Michigan. Read more.
Housing repair and assistance programs
One agency to contact is Hastings based Barry County Home Program. They run a Home Repair Program that provides low income families with zero percent interest loans. Other housing assistance may also be offered. 734-341-1866. Or click here for additional government loan programs.
Social services, financial aid for basic needs
LOVE Inc. of Barry County (269-948-9555) works with people in need throughout the county, regardless of their faith or religion. The services and resources they offer include temporary financial aid for bills and expenses, food and groceries, holiday assistance and meals, and information on local charities as well as government programs.
Mid Michigan Housing Services - Various programs are available for both tenants and homeowners. If someone is facing homelessness, they can enroll into case management. They also have information on grants for everything from heating bills to rent. Other services in Barry County include foreclosure counseling, placement into a shelter, and emergency financial aid, including for security deposits. Find help from Housing Services of Mid Michigan.
The Battle Creek Salvation Army supports residents in Barry County. They offer qualified residents numerous resources and services. A sampling of them include Emergency Assistance for rent and utility bills, programs for older adults and senior citizens, a worship center, food pantry, and information. For example, learn about Michigan foreclosure mediation as well as other state government programs and charities. Phone 269-966-4162.
Groceries and food assistance
Some of the local food distribution centers to contact in Barry County and Hastings for free or low cost food include
- First United Methodist Church - 269-945-9574
- Orangeville Baptist Church - 269-664-4377
- Thornapple Valley Church - 269-948-2549
- Lakewood Community Council - 616-374-3117
- Barry County Veterans Affairs - 269-948-4881