Assistance programs Anderson County Tennessee.
Find financial help paying rent, energy bills, food, and other expenses
The Anderson County Community Action Commission ((865) 457-5500) helps low income people in Clinton and the nearby region. They may be able to provide limited financial assistance for paying expenses such as rent, utility bills, and food. The agency can also refer people to various local charities and assistance programs.
- Rental assistance - Aid and programs are offered that make will help rental payments for qualified people who are at risk of eviction without access to other forms of assistance.
- Help for utility bills - The agency also runs assistance programs that will pay all or a portion of the heating, cooling, and utility bills of people whose utilities have been or are at risk of being disconnected. In certain instances they agency will work directly with the utility company to provide help. In addition also included in this service are non-emergency resources and programs like those funded through the federal government Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
- CSBG - The agency has information on government grant programs, that can include everything from educational support to grants for housing and rent expenses.
- Prescription drug assistance - Access financial assistance that you can use to purchase necessary prescription drugs if you would be in an emergency situation without the medications.
- Other aid - In addition, receive food and groceries. School supplies and work clothing may also be available. Also get access to counseling and referrals. More on help from Anderson Community Action Agency.
Another one of the agencies that supports East Tennessee, including Clinton and Anderson County is Aid to Distressed Families of Appalachian Counties. They are a United Way supported agency and administer numerous programs.
- Housing, Rent and Mortgage - Both rent and mortgage assistance is provided and it can help prevent homelessness by providing short-term financial aid and cash assistance to families that are facing eviction or foreclosure from their home. Rental security deposit assistance is also available. Last, but not least, learn about Tennessee mortgage assistance programs.
- Food Vouchers - Vouchers are offered to families and individuals who need short-term assistance in purchasing fresh foods or groceries.
- Prescription medications - ADFAC’s Medication Assistance Program was created to ensure the uninsured in the community get the medications they need. You will learn how to apply for prescription assistance programs from such companies as Eli Lilly and Merk. You may also be able to receive free medications for the short term.
- Energy bills - Another service provided by Aid to Distressed Families of Appalachian Counties is help for utility bills. Assistance is available for families who are in danger of losing, or have already lost, essential electricity or heat service. Projects SAFE and ASSIST also support ADFAC’s utilities assistance program. Also get help for paying a utility deposit.
- Car and/or Transportation Loan - This transportation loan program provides interest free loans up to $500 for the purchase of a used car or the repair of a vehicle. Also find more information on poor credit loans.
- Other programs offered include weatherization, budget, debt and financial counseling, and household supplies.
- The homeless prevention and rapid rehousing program covers the eastern part of Tennessee, and emergency rent help is paid out from it. Read more.
Call the agency at (865) 483-6028, or find more details on Aid to Distressed Families of Appalachian Counties programs.
Affordable child care services
The Scarboro Learning Center will provide assistance to working parents of low income and who have lower economic means. It can provide them with affordable child care services in an environment which provides for the needs of both elementary-age children as well as preschool kids. 865-483-6871
Free household supplies and products in Anderson County
Ecumenical Storehouse, Inc. is a non-profit organization located in Clinton that is made up of all-volunteers. The organization provides household furnishings and goods that free of charge to low income as well as needy families in the surrounding area. Call them at 865-481-0274.
Dental care for the uninsured
People without dental insurance can contact Emory Valley Dental Center. The facility holds monthly dental clinics that provide extraction and restorative care. Dial 865-425-8725.
Free food assistance and grocery vouchers
Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee is a non-profit charity organization that is strongly committed to alleviating hunger in the community by distributing food and groceries to other non-profits in the area, and thereby enabling those agencies and charities to fund programs that will assist the poor and low income in the area. Phone 865-521-0000.