latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Barron, Polk, Pierce, Pepin, and Dunn Wisconsin assistance programs.

Get information on programs that provide help with rent, utilities, health care, and other aid

Serenity Home Transitional Center - This location provides rent assistance, help with heating and utility bills, medical and transportation assistance. They also serve as a shelter for the homeless or very low income. Balsam Lake Wisconsin. (715) 485-1221

Barron County Health and Human Services - This agency runs a large number of assistance programs. They are also just in general a great place to call for information on non-profits, charities, and other federal government and state resources. Among services administered here are the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP), which is the statewide program that provides financial assistance for paying for heating costs, electric bills and energy crisis situations. They also have information on local clinics and medical programs, food assistance, and much more. Dial (715) 537-5691

St. Vincent DePaul - Volunteers from this church are trained to partner and work closely with local agencies and charities, and together they can help families and individuals in need of financial assistance, help for bills and expenses, and other services to help those less fortunate. They also run a thrift store which can provide low cost household items and/or clothing. (715) 736-1601

Salvation Army - This organization provides short-term emergency financial assistance and help for people in a crisis situation. The Salvation Army programs and resources include emergency aid and services, free food and pantries, disaster services, Christmas projects and meals, medical emergency services, utility and rent assistance, special projects as identified for needy persons. (715) 434-2236, or click here for more details.


Pepin County Department of Social Services - The programs they provide qualified low income residents include:





  • Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program - Provides grants to help pay heating and energy bills
  • Social services - Includes child support, TANF, and food stamps
  • Weatherization - This assistance program can help people save money on their energy bills. It helps them conserve energy. It is offered at no cost.

Other resources offered by Pepin County include

  • Utility, electric, and heating assistance - If you are facing a crisis, get help to prevent a disconnection, get your heating oil tank filled, or get money on an ongoing basis to pay monthly bills.
  • Government health programs - Apply for and get information on such offerings as Medicare and Medicaid.

The Social Services agency is in Durand. Phone (715) 672-8941

West Central Wisconsin CAA, Inc. (West CAP) - This is the community action agency for Pierce, Barron, Polk, Pepin, and Dunn Counties Wisconsin. They run dozens of assistance programs and services for people who need help. Dial (715) 265-4271

  • Foreclosure prevention - This service offers homeowners free individual housing counseling and workshops. Talk to a certified counselor, all at no cost to the household. The Housing Counselors may assist you in the negotiation of a solution or creation workout plan process with your lender/servicer. Learn about modifications, principal reductions, get fees waived, and much more mortgage assistance and foreclosure prevention is offered.




  • Utility and heating assistance -Only one time per year individuals and families that are in jeopardy of disconnection may receive financial help. The types of utility and heating assistance available including free heating oil, or funds to pay one months bills.
  • Emergency rent help - If you are facing an eviction, get emergency rent aid.
  • Section 8 vouchers - Access housing for low income, and rent vouchers. You can enter the Section 8 Housing program, so will only need to pay at most 30% of your income towards housing expenses.
  • Food - West CAP partners with local food banks, pantries, and soup kitchens to provide meals and food to anyone who needs help. Some programs and assistance may be available for holiday meals as well, such as Christmas and Thanksgiving.
  • Home Repairs and Weatherization - Get either free home repairs, or access to low interest rate loans. The funds and aid needs to either go towards making your home more energy efficient, or to making your home safer to live in. Some of what these program can pay for includes energy-related improvements, lead-based paint hazard reduction, accessibility improvements, and repair of code violations. Some of the weatherization enhancements include installation of water saving devices, (Watersense), air sealing, adding extra insulation, improvements to the heating system, , compact fluorescent light bulbs, installation of ventilation fans to improve interior air quality, and replacement of inefficient or old refrigerators and freezers.
  • Numerous other assistance programs and referrals are available. Find more West Central Wisconsin CAA programs.



By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page