latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Job Training

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Community Health Centers

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Wayne County West Virginia assistance programs

Find how and where to get financial help. Low income families can receive assistance with paying utility bills, including water. Or find housing (help for rent, mortgages, or security deposits). Charities and churches in Wayne County not only offer emergency financial aid, but there is also free groceries from pantries, clothes, job placement services and general case management.

Organizations that provide help

There are a couple of different organizations that people can turn to for aid. They include the Salvation Army as well as the Southwestern Community Action Council, Inc. A sampling of some of the resources and services they offer include.

Free food from a pantry

This resources is provided by the Wayne County Community Services Organization with additional, partial funding provided by the Southwestern Council. The objective is to ensure that no one in the county goes hungry. A special focus is on children, senior citizens, and those who are considered most at risk. Dial (304) 429-0070.

Emergency services

The agency offers Wayne County and Huntington residents several different programs and services for dealing with a crisis or emergency. Southwestern Community Action agency provides a number of emergency assistance programs and services for qualifying families and individuals. They include rent assistance, energy and heating bill assistance, funds for eviction prevention, debt counseling, help with credit cards, and more.

They can refer people to other federal and state government programs, including LIHEAP. The organization may also be able to refer people to assistance programs from their gas or utility company. Case mangers will work with those who are struggling in Huntington or Wayne County in an effort to find or mediate a solution.




Help for heating bills

The local branch of Salvation Army also has a number of programs and resources for low to middle income families. The organization says that people should either call them directly at (304) 529-2401 to apply, or they can stop by the Cabell County Information and Referral at the Cabell County Library's third floor to apply for energy bill assistance. Other assistance provided can include case management, referrals, and holiday assistance as well. The Salvation Army is one of the nation’s and the region’s leading non-profit charity organizations.

Weatherization services

The federal government created and funds this program. Weatherization is free to homeowners, and contractors will install energy saving improvements to peoples homes, including additional insulation, caulking, door and window replacement, furnace tune ups, and more. All upgrades are free to homeowners. Some homeowners may be able to save up to 30% on their annual heating and energy bills.

Contact the Southwestern Community Action Council, Inc. at 540 5th Avenue, Huntington, WV, or call them at (304) 525-5151. Click more information.

Government assistance in Wayne County West Virginia

Wayne County Department of Health and Human Resources administers many of the state and federal government programs for the region. For example, this location can help people apply for SNAP food stamps or low income energy bill assistance. Other applications can be processed for Medicaid or TANF/cash assistance. In general, contacting a local human service office can be a great place to go when you need assistance. While you may not always qualify for public assistance, in general staff are able and willing to refer people other resources that may be able to meet their needs. The main center is at RT 2 BOX 2532, Wayne, West Virginia 25570. Call (304) 272-6311 for details.





While not a government program, the Huntington Area Food Bank is a non-profit that works with local charities, churches, and other agencies. The non-profit organization provides food to those other centers, who then distribute it to the needy and low income. The non-profit also even crosses over and supports groups in nearby counties and has partnerships with restaurants, food pantries, and other companies. The main phone number is 304-523-6029. They may have referrals to where you can get food assistance from.


By Jon McNamara

Additional Local Programs

Financial Help Near You

Rent Payment Assistance Near You

Free Food Near You

Utility Assistance Near You

Free Stuff Near You















Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site